Buyer wants refund without returning item? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-14-2011

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Buyer wants refund without returning item?

Guys.

A buyer has opened a dispute after buying an item from me and is the saying the item is counterfeit. He wants me to refund him for the item WITHOUT sending the item back???

He opened a case through ebay for this.

How should I deal with this?

I am happy to refund for sure, but I want the item back. Its around £100 in value and 100% genuine. I cant see anywhere in the "respond to your case" where I can request that he sends me the item back first and then the refund. I just dont want ebay taking his side of the case and for him to keep the item as well as the refund.

I have until the 24th March to respond.

Last edited by worththewait; 03-14-2011 at 02:23 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-14-2011

Longevity: 80%

Just respond to the case that the buyer can return the item for a refund.

Whatever you do make sure you respond otherwise he'll get a full refund and get to keep the item.
The Following User Says Thank You to meVebay For This Useful Post:
worththewait (03-15-2011)
Old 03-14-2011
Threadstarter  

I was thinking of phoning them so they can hear myside of the story and explain to them that I can prove to ebay with an invoice on where I purchased the item.

The buyer is trying it on. I even suggested to him before he opened a dispute that I would be happy to refund him and pay the return postage, as long as I got the item back first.

But this is part of this buyer/scammers plan, to get to keep the item and a refund. Im just trying to find a way of protecting myself because I am aware that some sellers had experiences of buyers claiming counterfeit so they could keep the item and get a refund. This is what this guy is trying to do!
Old 03-14-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

eBay WILL side with the buyer, calling them won't help you. Just respond with issuing a full refund upon receiving the goods back.
The Following User Says Thank You to BiN4RY For This Useful Post:
worththewait (03-15-2011)
Old 03-15-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Ive never understood the advice to phone people in these instances, it adds to your stress level and who wants to talk to such a piece of work anyhow. respond to case and there should be an option to have them return item, your address comes up, if it does not, then call ebay and ask why no option, explain you have checked up on this and it is THEIR procedure to have return before refund and why should this case be any different. Ebay/paypal are often scared of chargebacks by buyer, but stick to your guns. If you have any evidence of original purchase, send it to ebay forthwith.
Melissa1971 (03-17-2011), worththewait (03-16-2011)
Old 03-17-2011

Longevity: 94%
Send a message via MSN to alexzin Send a message via Yahoo to alexzin Send a message via Skype™ to alexzin

If the dispute raised to paypal.There would be an option for you:

You would like to refund buyer's money,but buyer must return the item back first with the same contion you sent him.

And then paypal will ask buyer provide confirmation to show that the item is being returned back.Paypal won't just refund your money back if you take the propty action.

Btw,this happened to me just few days ago.No item back,no money refund.
Old 03-17-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Don't forget this is filed with EBAY. It's well different from a paypal claim. Concentrate on advice for ebay
Old 03-17-2011
Threadstarter  

Thanks guys. Yeah I submitted a refund when returned link. The option was there on a dropdown menu. Hope this goes through ok, done this 2days ago and still no comm from the buyer.
Old 03-17-2011

Longevity: 78%

I don't know about Ebay but Paypal doesn't make buyer return item when they squeel "counterfeit" It reads the item is to be destroyed but it doesn't specify how.

Maybe you could contact Ebay to encourage them to have him return the "Counterfeit" item to them
Old 03-18-2011
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1971 View Post
I don't know about Ebay but Paypal doesn't make buyer return item when they squeel "counterfeit" It reads the item is to be destroyed but it doesn't specify how.

Maybe you could contact Ebay to encourage them to have him return the "Counterfeit" item to them
The item is not counterfeit and I want it returned to me??

I think that you need a proof of the item being counterfeit from the brand itself, then you can take this to your local police station and have the item destroyed, which they inturn will give you a letter which you can forward to ebay/paypal to show it was counterfeit and it has been destroyed.

I think that this is supposed to be the procedure!
Old 03-23-2011

Longevity: 75%

so how does this typically pan out? i have a buyer doing this on my recently suspended account. she says 2 of her 4 dvds in a box set were broken, but ebay accidentally put her into contact with another ebayer (huh?) and THAT ebayer said not to worry about it, he would send new ones.

but this ebayer realized this was not his sale, so he wasnt going to do anything. so because he had told her this, she threw away the dvds and cant return them. i politely told her that i would be happy to replace or refund, but i needed the item back. she said that wasnt her problem and she was turning me in to ebay.

huh? so does she get a buy one get one free, or will ebay actually use common sense? i would be embarrassed to even ask for a refund on something i didnt even have to return if that were indeed the case. more likely she just wants a free gift
Old 03-23-2011
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 9%
Longevity: 76%

She wants a free gift and you will lose. My advice is do not drag the situation out. It gets worse each day that you do...
Old 03-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by worththewait View Post
The item is not counterfeit and I want it returned to me??

I think that you need a proof of the item being counterfeit from the brand itself, then you can take this to your local police station and have the item destroyed, which they inturn will give you a letter which you can forward to ebay/paypal to show it was counterfeit and it has been destroyed.

I think that this is supposed to be the procedure!
Interesting! Thanks
Old 03-24-2011
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa1971 View Post

Read my thread on this topic:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...esolution.html

Also, if you select the option to give the buyer a full refund once the item is returned, gaypal will tell the buyer to do so, regardless of what they say.
Old 03-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by .ISO View Post
Read my thread on this topic:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...esolution.html

Also, if you select the option to give the buyer a full refund once the item is returned, gaypal will tell the buyer to do so, regardless of what they say.
Thanks, another educational read.

I've been in a dispute with a buyer for a while and Paypal still hasn't made a decision. Buyer is also a Seller, she didn't claim counterfeit though

My attempts in this situation would likely be to contact our Sheriffs Dept to see if a Lieutenant would be willing to accept it back and document the findings. If anything that should prove innocence and Ebay/Paypal should have no problem with it. Note: Paypal reserved funds in my account before even hearing my side of the story and the software would not allow me to change the return address. Had to contact them to almost demand this be completed OR....well in a nice but very firm way. Then they could change it or allow the change to occur as you would need to change the address to your local sheriffs dept with the Officers name. Another idea is the Postal Inspector being present when you open the item, ours is great about it she is also the mail clerk. And she gets very involved in any possible mail fraud which she feels this falls under. I hear she really helps out, even allowing pictures to be taken at the Post Office of her holding the item and ensuring it was packed right before sending the item out.

Last edited by Melissa1971; 03-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 03-24-2011

There can be drawbacks to getting the Authorities and the Postal Insptector involved.

Had a Scammer from San Francisco return a brand new Hard Drive. Well I had copies of his arguments saying he never opened it. Yet the Sheriffs Dept sent it to the High Tech Crimes Dept and months later I heard back. Not sure I wanted to prosecute but I learned they can prosecute without your go ahead if they choose

Also if the Postal Inspector is involved in the initial process, it is easier to get the money back regarding postal insurance if a claim is filed. Our main post office is very particular about giving refunds. That's a plus for the buyer, one way to help protect them
Old 04-02-2011

I'm also waiting for an item to be returned and thought of asking if the delivery supervisor would watch me open it. I'm a frequent flier around there and I don't think they would mind. I want someone to see me open it, put a battery in it and see if it works. The claim was that it didn't and I'm thinking I won't get the same one back that I sent. Markings on it and a slight defect that were noted to the buyer via email before shipping will be checked for that reason.
Old 04-04-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

I also had a couple buyers request refunds....

The first instance, it was one of my first sales. I shipped item but did not get a delivery confirmation. About 3-4 weeks later, i get a dispute opened saying i did not ship. Well, i took it as a loss since i did not get a delivery confirmation, i went ahead and issued a full refund. Figured i would loose anyways

My other situation, i did ship item with delivery confirmation. 2 days after item was shipped, buyer open dispute claiming i have not gotten in contact with them and item has not been sent. I copied and pasted our email conversation to the dispute and wrote the delivery confirmation number in the dispute also. Buyer waited a day or so to respond. Then claimed the item was ⊗⊗⊗⊗. So he closed that dispute about me not shipping...and wanted a full refund for receiving a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ product...(a product which is 100 percent authentic.) I gave a stealth return address and honestly really didnt want to give the buyer my real address so i could hopefully get a return. Didnt want to draw any red flags on why i was giving out 2 different addresses. Or even have the buyer send something back to me with a delivery confirmation but was not the product i received. It seemed like too much work, so i just went ahead and refunded the buyer. I sent a message in the dispute and asked where they just going to keep opening disputes and falsely claiming me. And that a 65 dollar item wasnt going to make or break me. and told them to consider this a gift. I called ebay and talk with someone there. and they said they would watch the buyers activity to make sure he does not pull the same thing to someone else.
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karleon View Post
I called ebay and talk with someone there. and they said they would watch the buyers activity to make sure he does not pull the same thing to someone else.
Thats bull****, they'll just tell you w/e make you happy so they can hang up the phone. But in reality they could care less.
Old 04-04-2011

Been there already, my buyer said the binoculars i sold were counterfeit.
There are no counterfeit hunting binoculars anywhere, even in china.
I ended up losing the money and the binocs aswell thanks to eb's zero% seller security.
In return when i complained with eb, i got suspended.
Yeehaw!!!
Old 04-04-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by shah View Post
Been there already, my buyer said the binoculars i sold were counterfeit.
There are no counterfeit hunting binoculars anywhere, even in china.
I ended up losing the money and the binocs aswell thanks to eb's zero% seller security.
In return when i complained with eb, i got suspended.
Yeehaw!!!
LOL I'm glad you can keep your sense of humour. I would of been pissed!
Old 04-05-2011
Subscribed [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilBay View Post
Thats bull****, they'll just tell you w/e make you happy so they can hang up the phone. But in reality they could care less.
I figured that, but it did make me feel good for the moment. Buying and selling is a business. So i just take the good with the bad......as long as the good outweigh the bad of course.