Buyer cancels "Item Not Received" & opens up "Not As Described" - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 01-30-2008

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 97%
Default Buyer cancels "Item Not Received" & opens up "Not As Described"

Basically this buyer opens up a "Item Not Received" claim with PP. No Prob, I thought, as I have tracking information for the item and it shows up as delivered. So I entered it and everything seemed fine, just waiting for PP to review.

THEN after 3 or 4 weeks the buyer closes the the INR claim and states it has been amicable resolved and IMMEDIATELY opens up a "Item Not As Described" claim. I had no idea you could do that!

So basically I'm looking for some advice on what to do next, is there more chance that it'll be granted in the buyers favor?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-30-2008
Banned

Longevity: 95%

Paypal usually finds for the seller in item not as described compliant. The say the do not get involved in those disputes. However, if he paid with CC then as soon as he files chargeback with his CC company. Paypal will roll over like a little biotch and take the money out of your account.
Old 01-30-2008

Longevity: 95%

hi- this is new.. they used be Only allowed to do one or the other, then once its closed, thats it, period..
Old 01-30-2008
Threadstarter  

ebayhateluv: That's what I thought as well, I THINK the way he got around it is by canceling the complaint himself (rather than have PP decide against him) and then that must have allowed him to be able to do the other dispute.

sycore: I'll challenge it then and if he gets his CC to do a chargeback after it hasn't gone his way I think I'll be reporting him to his local police. Quite a bit of money is riding on this. Good thing is I got the money out and my PP balance is negative now. Would like to keep the account though.
Old 01-30-2008

Longevity: 98%

When I report to http://www.ic3.gov/ they don't do a thing, ever.
Old 01-30-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongMan View Post
Basically this buyer opens up a "Item Not Received" claim with PP. No Prob, I thought, as I have tracking information for the item and it shows up as delivered. So I entered it and everything seemed fine, just waiting for PP to review.

THEN after 3 or 4 weeks the buyer closes the the INR claim and states it has been amicable resolved and IMMEDIATELY opens up a "Item Not As Described" claim. I had no idea you could do that!

So basically I'm looking for some advice on what to do next, is there more chance that it'll be granted in the buyers favor?
Actually they cannot do that. its Only 1 or the other..

And if he did a not as described, the buyer ****ed himself unless he does a credit card chargeback.

Paypal sides with the seller in not as describe
Old 01-30-2008
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongMan View Post
ebayhateluv: That's what I thought as well, I THINK the way he got around it is by canceling the complaint himself (rather than have PP decide against him) and then that must have allowed him to be able to do the other dispute.

sycore: I'll challenge it then and if he gets his CC to do a chargeback after it hasn't gone his way I think I'll be reporting him to his local police. Quite a bit of money is riding on this. Good thing is I got the money out and my PP balance is negative now. Would like to keep the account though.
Well its not worth reporting to the police for not as describe claim.. Just gotta eat the lost. Buyer seems like he know what he is doing.. Expect a credit card charge back soon
Old 01-31-2008
Threadstarter  

Jonas: I was planning to call his local police, sometimes the personal touch works. That link you provided isn't loading for me anyway.

Chris: Well it appears this buyer may have lucked out and found a loop hole to do both, good to know for the future I suppose...

Also I was planning to report him for fraud to the police as he will have my goods and my money, I have enough evidence here to at least have a case.
Old 01-31-2008

Longevity: 94%

maybe paypal takes different types of products into consideration when deciding who should win the not as described claim, because i never win that battle. i sell used auto parts, and i have never won a case in the 6 years i have been selling. even though i put my policy, it doesn't mayyer. i state sold as-is and no warranty, and untested. these peice of garbage buyers buy it any way lnowing that it is untested, because they know if it does not work all they have to do is file a paypal claim and they will receive their money back. paypal doesn't care about your policies as a seller.
Old 01-31-2008

Oops it was http://www.ic3.gov/

As for products, I find if the buyer is able to outright lie and make complete things up claiming they got something completely different than what you shipped, then they win. If the buyer is honest and says there was only some slight imperfection then the buyer loses.
Old 02-27-2008

Longevity: 93%

same exact thing happened to me about a month ago..... paypal went in my favor! (seller). too bad i got suspended right after that from ebay. for what? who knows.
Old 02-27-2008
MU

Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebayhateluv View Post
hi- this is new.. they used be Only allowed to do one or the other, then once its closed, thats it, period..
It used to be that simple, but things have changed since then.. They're still allowed to open up only one dispute, with one key difference. NOW they are allowed to change what type of dispute it is, as long as they haven't closed the dispute yet. So if a buyer files for item "not as received" and then leaves the dispute open until it arrives, no problem they can still scam you by *changing* that dispute to "not as described" and then congratulations you're in double jeopardy.
Old 02-28-2008
Threadstarter  

Wow, I made this post on the 30th Jan when that buyer switched from not received to not as described and PayPal still hasn't made a decision about it...
Old 03-05-2008

Hi, what happens if I don't have a tracking number to support it :\
the buyer didn't receive the item and made a claim against me
Old 03-06-2008
MU

Send a message via Yahoo to koalawash

Without a tracking number, you're screwed. It's that simple. :(
Old 03-07-2008
MU

Default pp

I used to trade online poker money for paypal money. One of the requirements I had was they had to open and close dispute to prevent opening disputes/chargebacks, although they can probably still chargeback, but you can always tell when its CC or regulaur paypal balance. Anyways, I know that once you open a dipsute and then close it, its done. Finito.

Things do change though, but it just doesn't make sense. But then again, paypal doesnt.
Old 03-08-2008
Threadstarter  

FYI to everyone, I won. w00t!
Old 03-08-2008
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Good for you. Nice to score after stupidity.
Old 06-26-2008

Longevity: 91%

Paypal No Longer Sides With The Seller In Not As Described They Ask The Buyer To Ship The Item Back Provide A Tracking Number And Hold Any Amount Over 200 Usd As Soon As Claim Is Made Trust Me Had It Happen 20 Times In The Last 6 Months And All Items Were Exactly As Described I Can Provide Proof I Keep All My Emails If Anyone Wants To See Pm
Old 06-26-2008
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 91%

I don't like how they can do this now. If they ship out back expescilaly for my international sales, I still lose a lot on shipping, and most of the times the claims are unwarranted.
Old 06-27-2008

International buyers will have to pay extra for tracking to ship it back, though.
Old 08-11-2008

Longevity: 92%

Questions for those that had disputes. My understanding on this is that a buyer or seller can escalate to a claim? Can paypal escalate to a claim on behalf of seller or buyer? I heard this happening before.