Anyone hear of Brand Cops Ltd - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 05-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Anyone hear of Brand Cops Ltd

just got a message on amazon from Brand Cops Limited claiming to work with the brand of the item I am selling. They said they are hired to shut down unauthorized resellers on amazon.

Are they legit? I couldn't find anything solid except for some UK addresses. Are they anything I should worry about? They basically just threatened to report me to Amazon. I Don't sell on Amazon really so I'm not familiar with how their reporting works, and if they report me is it an automatic shut down for my account?

Last edited by nodeal; 05-21-2015 at 05:32 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 64%
Default Re: Anyone hear of Brand Cops Ltd

First you said they message you on Amazon then second you don't sell on Amazon????
Confused
Old 05-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I know they are a legitimate company, but I don't know much else about them.

Did their Amazon message include contact information? Because most legitimate companies and attorneys representing brand owners will include their address and phone number in those messages. You can also check to see who sent the message. If it is a newish account, my guess would be it is a competitor trying to scare you out of selling so they don't have to compete on price. I run across that on Amazon from time to time, even on stuff that is NOT branded in any way.
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

lol what i meant was, i don't USUALLY sell on amazon, as in I HARDLY sell on amazon and I am not familiar with how things work on there.

Jeff - they provided the address of the brand they are claiming to protect, and attached a letter from said brand supposedly giving Brand Corps LTD permission to prevent unauthorized reselling of their products on amazon. The attached letter had the brand's letterhead on it. The letterhead looks like something anybody with a little extra time could have made themselves. Not really sure though, really annoying.
Old 05-22-2015

Longevity: 58%

I don't think it's legit. If you look around on Google you can see that they changed their name from Brand Cops Limited (sounds like something a 6 year old would come up with) to Relative Maximum Limited and their address of "NN14 4PL" according to this site https://www.companiesintheuk.co.uk/ltd/relative-maximum 206 companies use this exact same address, so maybe it's real, but that seems weird.
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

yes, I noticed that too and thought it was weird as well. There was nothing concrete I could find on this company, but don't want to jump the gun in assuming they are a scheming competitor trying to scare me.
Old 05-22-2015

Longevity: 58%

It's a tough one. They are a legit company, but whether they are actually "legit" as in real and not just some crap someone has set up, i'm not sure, but it looks fishy. Maybe someone else can give some better advice because to me it doesn't look legit, but just because it doesn't seem legit to me, means they aren't.
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Well, are right of course about anyone being able to create a letterhead. I would imagine that examples of letterheads for many brands can be found online, just from people posting about this and that. Or, I could create a letterhead for something like Kellog's and most people, since they have never seen an actual Kellog's letterhead wouldn't know the difference.

Was there ANY contact information for someone at Brand Cops or a NAME of the person supposedly sending the letter? If there is a name, you could call their office and see if that person is employed there.

The thing is this COULD be real, but there are red flags for me. First, if *I*& were going to create something o scare the competition, this is exactly what *I* would do for the USA - use a company in the UK with NO USA phone number that people could not easily verify one way or the other.

I also took a look at their website. They have a few brands listed on their main page, you might want to take a look to see is what you are selling is included there. Their biggest two (please understand that I am NOT the best person to know every brand!) that I could see are Kingston Technologies and GoPro. But it looks amateurish otherwise. I believe they are a REAL company, but they claim to monitor for things like sellers advertising grey market imports - something the companies don't like, but that is NOT illegal - and for sellers who advertise below the MAP. Also, they are exclusively focused on Amazon, which surprises me, because if *I* were a decision maker at "Coach" for example, I would want a company who could monitor not only Amazon, but also eBay and searching out counterfeits on the web as well. In fact, the example I used "Coach" actually has people who go to larger flea markets looking for phakes!

If they ARE a real company, and they are serious, they REALLY need a better website. I checked for them on LinkedIn and found ONE employee...
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
nodeal (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

I did some further checking.

Their WHOIS registration is private, which is unusual.

It is not the EASIEST Google search, I came up with a couple of sites that list them in their database, but with no phone number.

The address seems to be affiliated with a company called inpost which advertises lockers??? Maybe someone here from the UK knows about them? Looks like a mail drop to me.

The two people involved with this company are "Andrew Michael Showman" and "Freddie Camrass" - Both have involvement with other companies, but the information on these companies looks sketchy to me.

If a company was going up against a lot of sellers, usually you can find posts about them all over the net. I found very little about Brand Cops, in fact when you google the NAME Brand Cops, they are not even at the top of the page.

If your item is legitimate, I would not back down.

I don't see this company as a threat. At WORST, if they REALLY DO represent the brand, they MAY be able to have your listing removed from Amazon. I don't understand how ANYONE could make any determinations about authenticity on Amazon, since the listings are simply an item and a price with all of the pictures and other information provided by Amazon.

Can you imagine if this were to become commonplace? It would be chaos! "Hey, your unbranded HDMI cable looks too similar to MY HDMI cable - it has metal plus at BOTH ENDS!"

If a brand owner is serious about pursuing you, they will have an undercover buyer order a product from you. That way, they can determine whether or not the item is a counterfeit. If it IS a counterfeit, then they would likely file a lawsuit against you.

The way I see it, you can do a couple of things here:

1) Remove the listing and give up.

2) Send them a message stating your products are legitimate and ask for their contact information.

3) Do nothing and see what happens.

I don't want to give you bad advice and then you end up losing the account, but this whole thing just seems very fishy to me.

Last edited by jeffweico; 05-22-2015 at 04:06 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
nodeal (05-22-2015)
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Nodeal, ask for a contact name and phone number...I'm almost leaning towards a competitor trying to muscle you.
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

It sounds like a competitor.

Amazon usually wouldnt have the company message you directly. They would just have it removed and a warning issued?
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the in depth research Jeff!

I reported one of the messages and it is no longer showing in my inbox. Not sure if it does that automatically or what.

I just received a message from Brand Cops saying it needs to be listed as "like new" and that since I am not an authorized reseller I cannot list it as Brand New.

It is a 100% genuine, authentic item.

Last edited by nodeal; 05-22-2015 at 10:41 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to nodeal For This Useful Post:
tatersalad (03-13-2017)
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Then if you can make money listing it like new, that is what I would do. Welcome to the new Copyright and Trademark POLICE STATE!

As far as I am concerned, if your item is authentic, then you SHOULD be able to sell it however you wish.
Old 05-22-2015

Longevity: 53%

This company "Brand Cops" just seems to be using data any seller can download from amazon. It looks basically like auto pricing software but then can create reports of all items selling well below SRP. I would guess then that the company contacts future clients stating they have amazon sellers who they suspect are selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗,grey import etc for a fee. The idea is quite good, but are major brands going to listen to them, "doubt it"
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taking The Micky View Post
This company "Brand Cops" just seems to be using data any seller can download from amazon. It looks basically like auto pricing software but then can create reports of all items selling well below SRP. I would guess then that the company contacts future clients stating they have amazon sellers who they suspect are selling ⊗⊗⊗⊗,grey import etc for a fee. The idea is quite good, but are major brands going to listen to them, "doubt it"
I agree. To get into a major brand, you would either need a contact there, or be well known with a track record. If you were to call, say Walt Disney with a proposal like that, they would never even meet with you.
Old 05-22-2015
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

I failed to clarify earlier that the message I received telling me to list the item as "like new" instead of "brand new" was from Brand Cops, not from amazon.

I just relisted it again as brand new, and lowered the price. F*** em.
Old 05-22-2015

Longevity: 53%

It's between you and amazon how you run your business, not a 3rd party telling how and what to sell. If I was you I would send the emails to seller support and ask them why is this company is telling you how how to run your company and who are they. Why are they able to access amazon data etc. You never know they could get blocked.....copy in jeff@amazon.com.
The Following User Says Thank You to Taking The Micky For This Useful Post:
nodeal (05-24-2015)
Old 06-28-2016

Longevity: 45%

Hi guys

Brand Cops been bothering us on amazon. I had a look into this company and what the hell they are up to. I have some interesting findings I want to share !
Old 06-28-2016

Their own site never ever mentions any address, tel no, legal name or registered office. Not strange for a company which runs after legal issues ????

https://www.brandcops.com/legal/privacy

Found this strange, so I dig a bit deeper. Guess what ??? Brand Cops Ltd does NOT exist. This UK company used to exist, and then changed its name to:

RELATIVE MAXIMUM LIMITED with Company number 08761404

Check this link: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08761404

scroll down and look at bottom note: this company used to be Brand Cops but is no longer is.

this turns my stomach upside down. So, are they genuinely lying about their identity and not be found by any one ???? YES.

The new company is registered at address: Pinnacle House, First Floor, 31 Cross Lances Road, Hounslow, Middlesex, TW3 2AD

And run by 3 guys as directors actively:

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...61404/officers

Freddie Camrass - British - born Dec. 1987
Marcin Rosinski - Polish - born April 1985
Andrew Showman - British - born July 1980

basically 3 kids... I will look more into their personal profiles when I have some time to waste

The staff that email threats to amazon sellers usually use names like "Helen", "Vicky". I doubt very much these people exist. If you email them back, no one replies. They never have surnames, no tel numbers, no signatures in their emails. Not weird ??? Very bogus, very mysterious.

I think there is no need to give in to their requests for info, invoices and threats, they don't even exist, and they are lying. I asked them to give me a call straight, and no one did anything till now.

They send around authorisation documents, from brands. But, the letter is their headed paper ! How stupid ??? How can you authorise yourself for a brand on your own headed paper ??? Are you joking ???

And I will check with the brand if they are aware of such stupidity. I think it also makes the brand look stupid. And the brand I am talking about is a very reputable brand, American one and is leader of its market, electron ics. Unbelivable.

To be continued...
Old 06-28-2016

Googling enough, here are more findings, and all are public info:

the directors of Brand Cops themselves are running GoPro refurbished shop online !!!

Vyper Industries E-distribution

so, they are scaring and cutting off the competition... This is quite illegal, no ?

Director Freddie Camrass of brand cops is also CEO of Vyper Industries, and owner of the domain legally.

Domain Name: VYPERINDUSTRIES.COM
Domain ID: 1553112215_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN
Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.tucows.com
Registrar URL: Tucows Domains – Domain Help
Updated Date: 2015-01-27T15:59:53Z
Creation Date: 2009-04-22T16:29:24Z
Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2017-04-22T16:29:24Z
Sponsoring Registrar: TUCOWS, INC.
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 69
Registrar Abuse Contact Email: email@tucows.com
Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.4165350123
Reseller: Yoyo Internet Services
Domain Status: ok https://icann.org/epp#ok
Registrant Name: Fred Camrass
Registrant Organization: Shogun Electric
Registrant Street: Highgate
Registrant City: London
Registrant State/Province: England
Registrant Postal Code: N6 4NP
Registrant Country: GB
Registrant Phone: +44.7930473433
Registrant Email: email@vypind.co.uk

Is GoPro aware of this ?

Apparently, they send threat emails with authorisation from GoPro and state the name Laurens Deneke, who looks like he works for GoPro brand protection in Munich office of GoPro.

Is he aware of these cowboys using GoPro name, going around throwing punches ???? If he is, is he aware this company legally does NOT exist and is involved in conflict of interest in a legal issue ???
The Following User Says Thank You to Torquay For This Useful Post:
nodeal (07-10-2016)
Old 07-10-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Great find torquay. Just so you know, I just ignored them and sold as normal, and they didn't do anything about it. They are just in the business of scaring people it seems.
Old 09-16-2016

Longevity: 43%

Hi

Just found this thread.

We have had dealings with these people this week.

Last edited by JamesNorth101; 09-16-2016 at 10:54 AM.