Anyone else motivated by other people's operations? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-09-2016
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 51%
Default Anyone else motivated by other people's operations?

I just bought some gear from someone on Eb, and we worked out a good price because I would make the drive and pick it up and that made it easy for him (several large tent-related items that he'd normally box and ship).

I got there, saw what he had, they were much nicer than I expected for what he called "surplus" and I got a few more, and we ended up talking a little about Eb, and about inventory issues in our respective niches and difficult customers (scammers and chargebacks), and he said "let me show you" and brought me into the back shop area, which being a carpet store type storefront, I assumed it would be all inventoried rolls of carpet. No carpet inventory anywhere, it was all his Eb stuff.

It was like 8 rows of a Home Depot, with TONS of stuff on real heavy duty 16-foot high shelves, super-super-organized and labeled. Then he showed me the "office" area, which was just an open area where he had his own, over simplified stealth solution by having two desks, one painted green, the other painted white, the one he worked at obviously more sloppy and used than the white one, where he said he has someone come in a few days a week to work a second account.

This guy was not (at all) tech savvy, but even he saw a need to have a backup solution. We didn't talk about Stealth at all, but his "backup store" as he called it was clearly there and kept active by the second person (on a separate internet connection, too) clearly for his peace of mind. I found this interesting and wish I asked how/why he set up a "backup account" and how he figured out how to do it (like things like the second internet connection that he pointed out) but I didn't.

Anyway, it was fun for me to see someone else's operation, and how they keep so organized and efficient. I really wish there were more chances to do this, because that sort of thing is so very motivating for me, and not something you can normally Google or watch on the Discovery Channel. This is more like peeking at someone's hand of cards than it is taking a tour through their kitchen, art studio, workshop or factory. So when I get to, I enjoy it.

Just a nice reminder of how there is SO MUCH more money to be made online than we realize, and that there are so many non-rocket-scientists doing it (and well) than we often think. Lots of motivation for me.

This just made my day, so I had to share.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to NewYork For This Useful Post:
123 (12-10-2016), dealagreeproceed (12-10-2016), glacier922 (12-09-2016), GreenBean (12-10-2016), TN2016 (12-13-2016)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-10-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%
Default Re: Anyone else motivated by other people's operations?

Now that's very cool, he must of also taken a liking to you, because a lot of times the reason most people wouldn't do this is that they would be scared that someone else will learn what their selling well and try to copy it / but nevertheless that was very cool of him

and yeah I agree, seeing other people succeed in their own intricate ways, makes me even more motivated to come up with my own creative ideas etc
Old 12-10-2016
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 51%
Default Re: Anyone else motivated by other people's operations?

Yep, and I found it interesting that most any seller who sells seriously on EB has found it necessary to have some kind of Stealth or "backup" selling option to rely on, because of how much EB puts the sellers at a disadvantage, whether it be by customer complaints or even FB.

I told him about what I sell first, and it was clear we are in two different niches, but you're right- this is often a closely guarded secret, so I felt honored that he would show me his operation. He was clearly out-earning his regular business with his EB business, and it was just based on a good idea of a thing to sell and finding a good source. He found and had one and was doing really well (it was obvious) and doing it nearly all himself just by keeping organized and focused.

Just nice to come across a reminder of just how unlimited the opportunities out there really are.