Need Advice: Dealing with Returns - Multiple Stealth Accounts - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-03-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 42%
Exclamation Need Advice: Dealing with Returns - Multiple Stealth Accounts

Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone can give me some advise and/or input on dealing with returns for multiple stealth accounts. I currently have 3 stealth accounts, each linked with a PO BOX for returns. I've had returns in the past, so if the buyer wanted to return something, the address was always the PO BOX address (I used street addressing and it was the return address on the label). I will be expanding my stealth by adding 3 more accounts soon, and hope to keep adding more to spread out sales. I do not think it is efficient to add a PO BOX to everyone one.

That being said, what are some things people do to deal with this? I was thinking maybe opening up 1 more PO BOX, then using that as the return address for the rest of the accounts. For every sale, I would purchase a label from USPS with an account. I would save as a PDF, edit the return address from the stealth account, and put the PO BOX address instead.

That way if a buyer contacts me for a return, I can either tell them to ship back to the return address on the label, or send them a prepaid label with the address, all without being directly linked to ebay. What I do not know is if the barcode or anything on the label is directly linked to the return address, or it does not matter?

Just wondering what other people do here. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-04-2017

Longevity: 48%
Default Re: Need Advice: Dealing with Returns - Multiple Stealth Accounts

Please tell me that's not a real shipping label.
Old 01-04-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payelectronica View Post
Please tell me that's not a real shipping label.
No it's not it's just an example from google.
Old 01-04-2017

I hate using the same return address with ebay and paypal. Cuz you might have a scam buyer go diretly through Paypal and completely skip ebay return resolution. Then the buyer just uses the address given to them and they wont accept any other label except what ebay or paypal tells them to use. Had so many high priced items returned to an address that didnt really exist and the item gets returned to them. So, they got item back, and refunded while I got nothing
Old 01-04-2017

Activity: 14%
Longevity: 59%

I use ShipStation which has the capability to create a return and email a prepaid label directly to the buyers email on file with the payment. Then, I message them directly and let them know it was emailed to them directly, very useful!
Old 01-04-2017

I've done something similar to prevent return fraud when I know it's going to be a bogus return.

You create two labels, one with the address you have on file with ebay and one with the address you want the item to be shipped to. You open them in Paint or whatever image editing program you use. You cut all of the barcodes off the label with your desired address and paste them into the same spot on the label with the ebay registered address, send them this label and enter its tracking number into ebay.

When the label is scanned, it will go to your new specified location and you can use the tracking number from its original label to follow it....... but ebay's system will see the tracking number for the label with the ebay registered address and it will show no shipping activity in their system. Once you get the item back and it's not broken or anything, you refund and close the case... but if they send you a brick or it's a case of return fraud, you call an ebay rep and get the return closed in your favor as it appears in the system that they did not send the item back.

I've done this a few times over the years on cases where it's obvious that they are scamming and it's saved my ass, but the only time it hasn't worked for me is recently when a buyer tried scamming me out of an 885 dollar video card and sent me back just the heatsink off the card. I called and got the return closed and my money back, but he somehow filed an appeal with the "high value claims department" with the ol tried and true "same zip code different address" trick with a totally bogus tracking number that was delivered to a different address in my zip code. The rep I had on the phone would just not budge at all even though I got him to admit mano y mano that it was a bull**** ordeal.
Old 01-05-2017
Threadstarter  

Exclamation Re: Need Advice: Dealing with Returns - Multiple Stealth Accounts

Thanks for all the info everyone. Does anyone else suggest my method? If not, what else does everyone do? Any advice from members on here that deal with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Old 01-07-2017

Longevity: 48%

I don't know about fedex and ups but I'm pretty sure tampering with the United States Postal Service Labels could be considered a federal crime. I'm not afraid of eBay, PayPal or amazon but I am a punk when it comes to United States Federal government. They don't play. And I don't play with them.
Old 01-07-2017
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%

I use the same P.O. Box with a business name as my return address on my stealth eBay's. I have it with the Biz Name and return address on there for all of them under the "Return Address" input. Maybe I am lucky but I have not had an account in trouble since like 2010. If anyone ever asks why is that different than your stated area or whatever, I just say that is the company that handles my returns. My registration address and all that is clearly different. The 5 stealth's I use all are under the 200/20k limits so it is not cost effective to have a P.O. Box for all.
Old 01-07-2017
Executive [VIP]

I may have ready your question wrong as well. Are you just talking about sending items so your return address is different? If so I just print them out with the fufu registration addy then black it out with a sharpe. I print out sheets of 30 return address for a BIZ Name and PO Box on a pc of paper cut it off and tape it over the blacked out addy. I use it for 5 stealth's. Never had a problem. Been doing this for years. Just make sure that the ship from Zip code is somewhat close to where you are dropping it off. Especially if it is by weight for Priority, etc. This really is not an issue if you get good accounts and don't sell high risk items to jeopardize everything. Being doing this since 2008. Never and issue.
Old 01-07-2017

Longevity: 47%

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdcc_send View Post
I've done something similar to prevent return fraud when I know it's going to be a bogus return.

You create two labels, one with the address you have on file with ebay and one with the address you want the item to be shipped to. You open them in Paint or whatever image editing program you use. You cut all of the barcodes off the label with your desired address and paste them into the same spot on the label with the ebay registered address, send them this label and enter its tracking number into ebay.

When the label is scanned, it will go to your new specified location and you can use the tracking number from its original label to follow it....... but ebay's system will see the tracking number for the label with the ebay registered address and it will show no shipping activity in their system. Once you get the item back and it's not broken or anything, you refund and close the case... but if they send you a brick or it's a case of return fraud, you call an ebay rep and get the return closed in your favor as it appears in the system that they did not send the item back.

I've done this a few times over the years on cases where it's obvious that they are scamming and it's saved my ass, but the only time it hasn't worked for me is recently when a buyer tried scamming me out of an 885 dollar video card and sent me back just the heatsink off the card. I called and got the return closed and my money back, but he somehow filed an appeal with the "high value claims department" with the ol tried and true "same zip code different address" trick with a totally bogus tracking number that was delivered to a different address in my zip code. The rep I had on the phone would just not budge at all even though I got him to admit mano y mano that it was a bull**** ordeal.
This sounds really clever. Which courier company are you using?
Old 01-07-2017

OP: can't you just arrange for the items to be collected from the buyer? Obviously you'll have to pay for it but it could avoid the issue of telling them where to return the item.
Old 01-07-2017
Threadstarter  

Thanks everyone for the replies!

Quote:
I don't know about fedex and ups but I'm pretty sure tampering with the United States Postal Service Labels could be considered a federal crime.
Quote:
If so I just print them out with the fufu registration addy then black it out with a sharpe. I print out sheets of 30 return address for a BIZ Name and PO Box on a pc of paper cut it off and tape it over the blacked out addy
^^ wouldn't these be the same case if it's considered a federal crime (no idea if it actually is), but what's the difference between editing the return address compared to taping over the return address with a different one?

Quote:
I use the same P.O. Box with a business name as my return address on my stealth eBay's. I have it with the Biz Name and return address on there for all of them under the "Return Address" input. Maybe I am lucky but I have not had an account in trouble since like 2010
^^ wouldn't that raise red flags when it comes to stealth and linking accounts when multiple accounts have the same return address? Currently with the stealth accounts I have the 3 PO Boxes for, I do this method, but no PO BOX address is the same for each account.

Maybe I've even worded the original question wrong, but I'm proposing opening up another PO BOX for the rest of my stealth accounts (3-6 more), never putting in that PO Box address under "Return Address" for any of them, but when printing out labels or even just writing to and from address, use that PO Box address with a biz name as the return one. I just don't want to link any of these accounts and get them suspended all do to a PO BOx being the same (despite never officially inputting it on eBay/PayPal). Hope everyone understands what I mean thanks!
Old 01-07-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verb View Post
OP: can't you just arrange for the items to be collected from the buyer? Obviously you'll have to pay for it but it could avoid the issue of telling them where to return the item.
Some buyers want ease of shipping not having to go pickup
Old 01-07-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Some buyers want ease of shipping not having to go pickup

I mean, the courier collects the item from the customer and returns it to the buyer. This is as easy as it can be for a customer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Verb For This Useful Post:
Cliffe1011 (05-26-2018)
Old 01-07-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammzy98 View Post
Thanks everyone for the replies!
^^ wouldn't these be the same case if it's considered a federal crime (no idea if it actually is), but what's the difference between editing the return address compared to taping over the return address with a different one?
To my knowledge there is no crime for putting a correct return address. Been doing it for years as well as many other sellers. Like I said they just complain if the ship from zip code is not close.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammzy98 View Post
^^ wouldn't that raise red flags when it comes to stealth and linking accounts when multiple accounts have the same return address? Currently with the stealth accounts I have the 3 PO Boxes for, I do this method, but no PO BOX address is the same for each account.

Maybe I've even worded the original question wrong, but I'm proposing opening up another PO BOX for the rest of my stealth accounts (3-6 more), never putting in that PO Box address under "Return Address" for any of them, but when printing out labels or even just writing to and from address, use that PO Box address with a biz name as the return one. I just don't want to link any of these accounts and get them suspended all do to a PO BOx being the same (despite never officially inputting it on eBay/PayPal). Hope everyone understands what I mean thanks!
It could cause a problem but thats why I use a Biz name and P.O. Box for the return address. Its a company that handles the returns wink wink. Never had a problem. Especially now that you basically have to give them a return address when they open a Return Request I just roll with it. Unless you are selling Phake items or something eBay seems to care more about their bottom line than kicking off sellers these days.
Old 01-07-2017
Threadstarter  

Post Re: Need Advice: Dealing with Returns - Multiple Stealth Accounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vogeltron View Post
To my knowledge there is no crime for putting a correct return address. Been doing it for years as well as many other sellers. Like I said they just complain if the ship from zip code is not close.

It could cause a problem but thats why I use a Biz name and P.O. Box for the return address. Its a company that handles the returns wink wink. Never had a problem. Especially now that you basically have to give them a return address when they open a Return Request I just roll with it. Unless you are selling Phake items or something eBay seems to care more about their bottom line than kicking off sellers these days.
Thanks for the info I sent you a PM! Thanks!
Old 01-11-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verb View Post
This sounds really clever. Which courier company are you using?
Fedex, I have an account (which is free to create for anyone) and use that to create the labels.