Sellers stealing my listing photos + title - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-19-2017

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 40%
Default Sellers stealing my listing photos + title

So I've recently found out about TWO different sellers using my listing photos and descriptions to sell their own products. This bothers me for a bunch of reasons I shouldn't have to explain, but I'm just wondering, has anyone else dealt with this and gotten ebay to successfully remove the infringing listings?

eBay told me to file a notice of copyright infringement and I did so via the vero@ebay.com email, but I haven't heard back from them yet. It's "only" been about 24 hours but still, I haven't even received an acknowledgement email in response... and meanwhile, the infringing seller is making sales on a product that he couldn't otherwise sell if his life depended on it.

Does ebay take these seriously? Will the infringing lister get his listings removed? anyone else been in this situation?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%
Default Re: Sellers stealing my listing photos + title

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkland View Post
So I've recently found out about TWO different sellers using my listing photos and descriptions to sell their own products. This bothers me for a bunch of reasons I shouldn't have to explain, but I'm just wondering, has anyone else dealt with this and gotten ebay to successfully remove the infringing listings?

eBay told me to file a notice of copyright infringement and I did so via the vero@ebay.com email, but I haven't heard back from them yet. It's "only" been about 24 hours but still, I haven't even received an acknowledgement email in response... and meanwhile, the infringing seller is making sales on a product that he couldn't otherwise sell if his life depended on it.

Does ebay take these seriously? Will the infringing lister get his listings removed? anyone else been in this situation?
I had this happen a time or two. In one case another seller took all 4 photos of my listing AS WELL as copied the text description verbatim. Reported to EB using the online form, but nothing became of it. When I called in a spoke with a rep, he was able to get two of the three listings (all the same) removed.

I'd suggest using the "watermark" option to include on your photos, or write your username on a piece of paper and re-take the pictures. I know it's a paid, but that might be the better option long term.
Old 05-19-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickopedia View Post
I had this happen a time or two. In one case another seller took all 4 photos of my listing AS WELL as copied the text description verbatim. Reported to EB using the online form, but nothing became of it. When I called in a spoke with a rep, he was able to get two of the three listings (all the same) removed.

I'd suggest using the "watermark" option to include on your photos, or write your username on a piece of paper and re-take the pictures. I know it's a paid, but that might be the better option long term.
1) which form, the VERO form? Thats the one I filled out

2) What department did you speak to when the rep was able to get it removed? They keep giving me the runaround it feels like ("the vero department will get back to you when they have reveiewed the case")

Definitely going to start watermarking this weekend
Old 05-19-2017
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%

Quote:
1) which form, the VERO form? Thats the one I filled out

2) What department did you speak to when the rep was able to get it removed? They keep giving me the runaround it feels like ("the vero department will get back to you when they have reveiewed the case")

Definitely going to start watermarking this weekend
I didn't report using the VERO process; I don't think it was relevant given this is a policy issue, not so much a "copyright infringement" one. I don't think you were given the correct info from eBay, but no surprise there.

I filled out the "report a listing" form. There is also another method to report a specific user such as a policy violation, in this case using peoples pictures without their permission.

The specific policy being violated here is called "Images and text policy": (WARNING - EBAY LINK)
http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/image-text.html

In my case when I spoke with eBay, the front line rep simply took my report and put it in their system and took down two of the offenders listings within a few hours. Only one of their listings remained.

Watermarking or putting "unique identification" in your photos will go a long way to quell these lazy sellers who take it upon themselves to copy some other pictures. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2017

Longevity: 72%

You're not supposed to put text in pictures any more, so I don't know if watermarking will fly, but in this case you have very little to lose...

Start off by requesting their address and information through EB. You may have to purchase something from them to get this. Open a SNAD when it arrives and return it.

Send them a 'cease and desist' email and letter, threatening to sue for unpaid royalties on your photography.
Old 05-23-2017

Activity: 5%

Oh, I hate this! Not only is it stealing your time and effort for making really decent photos, but buyers (and Flea-bay) will confuse you with them and their less-than-awesome selling record.

I will admit that YEARS (10+) ago I might have done that too, and for some people just starting out it's an innocent shortcut, but now knowing the damage that can do, I'd say you invest your time in giving them an education.
Old 05-24-2017

Longevity: 57%

Why don't you ask the copycat nicely to remove your pics.
Old 05-24-2017

cause they usually dont listen....IF you think all this is bad.

Imagine this.....Guy steals my exact title and description but in my description is a hotlink back to my feedback from my personal ebay account. So this guy is getting sales based on past sales ive done. Its not even the same product! Most of my listing are best match and since all my accounts are top rated; People do this on a monthly basis. Usually when they use my pics i can get the listing removed for intelletual property but the listing description copy gets nothing from SlezeBay.

Over the last month while i was scheming to get back on ebay...hes done some major business. WITH a ton of Fresh Negative feedback from buyers unsatisfied with his product.
Old 05-24-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Just use something like www.watermark.ws to faintly watermark your pictures. If you set it at around 10% transparency and put your USER ID in there, it would be apparent enough and may deter other users from stealing your pictures, but not apparent enough to obstruct your image itself.

Users are free to copy other users listings, this isnt a breach of ebay policy so they wont escalate the matter.
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
rsot (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Just use something like www.watermark.ws to faintly watermark your pictures. If you set it at around 10% transparency and put your USER ID in there, it would be apparent enough and may deter other users from stealing your pictures, but not apparent enough to obstruct your image itself.

Users are free to copy other users listings, this isnt a breach of ebay policy so they wont escalate the matter.
I watermark all my photos but they spend the time photoshopping out my watermarks rather than taking their own photos.

And users arent allowed to just copy your listing. First its plagiarism and intellectual property, and ebay considers it a deceptive listing practice and will ban sellers for doing so. Usually you need to make a stink about it enough but i try to fly under the radar for the most part.
Old 05-24-2017

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRock View Post
I watermark all my photos but they spend the time photoshopping out my watermarks rather than taking their own photos.

And users arent allowed to just copy your listing. First its plagiarism and intellectual property, and ebay considers it a deceptive listing practice and will ban sellers for doing so. Usually you need to make a stink about it enough but i try to fly under the radar for the most part.
If you watermark using the tool I suggested, and use the "tile" preference, which prints your user ID onto every square inch of the photo, then it would be very difficult for someone to remove your watermark.

If your putting your watermark just on the corner of the picture, then a simple crop of the image is all it takes - so avoid doing that.

Users arent allowed to copy your listing in a verbatim manner, your right. If they take out excerpts from your listing, it would generally be okay, they could get away with it. Like you say, it requires you to make a big deal just to get it removed, which is time consuming to say the least.

I usually send a message to the seller and "kindly" ask them to remove it.

For the most part, if your the "popular" seller in a niche, and your listing is top 3, and your selling like hot cakes, then people will copy you, you just need to accept the reality of it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Play For This Useful Post:
MikeRock (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017

Longevity: 53%

Wow send me the link, might can steal some of your good ideas. Lol , just kidding.
Old 05-24-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

Play is correct - nice and professional watermark
Old 05-24-2017

Quote:
If you watermark using the tool I suggested, and use the "tile" preference, which prints your user ID onto every square inch of the photo, then it would be very difficult for someone to remove your watermark.

If your putting your watermark just on the corner of the picture, then a simple crop of the image is all it takes - so avoid doing that.

Users arent allowed to copy your listing in a verbatim manner, your right. If they take out excerpts from your listing, it would generally be okay, they could get away with it. Like you say, it requires you to make a big deal just to get it removed, which is time consuming to say the least.

I usually send a message to the seller and "kindly" ask them to remove it.

For the most part, if your the "popular" seller in a niche, and your listing is top 3, and your selling like hot cakes, then people will copy you, you just need to accept the reality of it.

thanks for the website...i will try that watermark tile thing. I usually just watermark in photoshop but usually right on the item so its hard to edit out. I guess some people are just really creative in photoshop.

Your completely right. If you got a super popular product in a niche category. Your gonna get copied and people will try to steal your ideas and listings. My customer service and suppliers are what separates me from the competition.
Old 05-24-2017
Threadstarter  

Hi guys, OP here. I just wanted to update everyone. I submitted the VERO form and although it took eBay a few days, they did eventually take down the offending photos. I do recommend other users having this issue submit the VERO form... please be advised it may take a handful of days, but at least in my case, they were helpful.

I do plan on watermarking as well

Now to submit another VERO form for another offending seller ha
The Following User Says Thank You to kirkland For This Useful Post:
rsot (05-25-2017)
Old 05-24-2017
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Hi guys, OP here. I just wanted to update everyone. I submitted the VERO form and although it took eBay a few days, they did eventually take down the offending photos. I do recommend other users having this issue submit the VERO form... please be advised it may take a handful of days, but at least in my case, they were helpful.

I do plan on watermarking as well

Now to submit another VERO form for another offending seller ha
But what if he/she had kids to feed and now he/she can't feed their 10 kids?
Don't you feel bad?
Old 05-24-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
But what if he/she had kids to feed and now he/she can't feed their 10 kids?
Don't you feel bad?
I know this is a joke, but I actually did empathize a bit with the seller ha. I tried to tell the customer service rep to make sure he doesnt get suspended and that all I wanted was the damn photos down. Rookie mistake and all, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with him using my photos
Old 05-25-2017
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
I know this is a joke, but I actually did empathize a bit with the seller ha. I tried to tell the customer service rep to make sure he doesnt get suspended and that all I wanted was the damn photos down. Rookie mistake and all, sure, but that doesn't mean I'm okay with him using my photos
Actually it was a joke, down with picture thieves!
Old 06-02-2017

Longevity: 54%

Seriously, what is the much hassle about photos. I really dont think someone is stealing your profit for using your photos and I am not bothered about it when someone use my photo as well. Needless to say 90% of my photos are from google, retailers site and from other ebay sellers.

Think of it, if you want to make a pretty decent photo it takes a lot of resources, even with your resources there are some photos you cannot match.

Some people are just around to make a few pennies to buy bread and making life tough for them because of photo, I believe is not good enough.

The fact that you told ebay not to suspend the seller does not mean they wont suspend them if it is the appropriate action to take. You dont decide how you want them to punish your fellow. Yours is just to report.

I have been on ebay for nearly 4yrs and I am only just considering investing in a decent camera as I approach the future.

Can you vouch that you never used other peoples photo in the past, even if you don't do that any more? Think of photos as creative common and be nice to share.

Product with a badly taken photo can shift faster than one with professionally taken photo because at the end of the day, most sales are determined by price.
Old 06-02-2017
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by taerese View Post
Seriously, what is the much hassle about photos. I really dont think someone is stealing your profit for using your photos and I am not bothered about it when someone use my photo as well. Needless to say 90% of my photos are from google, retailers site and from other ebay sellers.

Think of it, if you want to make a pretty decent photo it takes a lot of resources, even with your resources there are some photos you cannot match.

Some people are just around to make a few pennies to buy bread and making life tough for them because of photo, I believe is not good enough.

The fact that you told ebay not to suspend the seller does not mean they wont suspend them if it is the appropriate action to take. You dont decide how you want them to punish your fellow. Yours is just to report.

I have been on ebay for nearly 4yrs and I am only just considering investing in a decent camera as I approach the future.

Can you vouch that you never used other peoples photo in the past, even if you don't do that any more? Think of photos as creative common and be nice to share.

Product with a badly taken photo can shift faster than one with professionally taken photo because at the end of the day, most sales are determined by price.
That's why you're not bothered by it.

I've noticed plenty of times where my item wasn't selling at all, where all it took was researching the issue of how to improve the photos, replacing the photo with a better angle/higher quality etc, and that same item started selling like hot cakes. I even invest money in buying the appropriate backdrops if needed.

So yeah, to steal my hard work, investments, research, time spent with experimentation, that's unacceptable. Sorry, but I don't ascribe to the notion that it's okay to rob Peter to pay Paul.
Old 06-02-2017
Executive [VIP]

Lazy people steal other people's pics.