eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums

eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/)
-   eBay Discussion! (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/)
-   -   Buyer opened a case and doesn't actually want anything...?? (https://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-discussion/62899-buyer-opened-case-doesnt-actually-want-anything.html)

acreech41311 08-05-2013 10:50 AM

Buyer opened a case and doesn't actually want anything...??

So I log in this morning to see that I have a case that has been opened by a buyer, It's an "item does not match description case" so I read the message, thinking ok, maybe it had a flaw I didnt see or something. But no, the buyers message states"
"Hi just wanted to let you know the top I received isn't the one I thought it was, I thought I was getting a different style, but its the same color and size as this one so it works for me, thanks!"
Um... What?
I had photos of the top and the style name (taken directly from the tag which was also photoed) so I assume she means she was confused about what top she thought she was buying? I really don't know, but she doesn't ask to return, instead she says it works for her. So I'm assuming she doesn't want anything and is making chit chat by opening a case?
My question is what happens now with ebay? I've never had someone open a case without wanting anything resolved, so there is nothing to do on my end, if she does nothing else on her end will this case just close or will ebay end up closing this case and automatically issuing her a refund just out of standard practice even though she has not requested one? Im a bit baffled by this, I've only had a few cases to deal with and never one where the buyer didn't actually have a problem, just not sure how to proceed or what will happen.

corleone 08-05-2013 10:54 AM

respond to the case telling them to send it back, and when they don't the case will automatically close.

john456 08-05-2013 02:53 PM

good advice from corleone

I used to deal with abusive case like that:
1. Buyer opens a case claiming item is not as described
2. Choose 'return to me, buyer pays shipping'
3. 99% of the time buyer would drop the case

I had buyers do impulse buy on product without verification of compatibility and try to claim i sent them the wrong one.

corleone 08-05-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john456 (Post 474185)

I had buyers do impulse buy on product without verification of compatibility and try to claim i sent them the wrong one.

There's a lot of idiots on ebay. Best practice is to resolve any problem quickly and not give it a second thought.

You know what works pretty well and doesn't cost me a dime? Offer to refund them 10% back on their purchase price if they'll cancel the transaction so that you don't get a bad feedback.

You really don't need to cancel the transaction to avoid the bad feedback, they can still give you bad feedback, but act like a newbie seller, instead of an experienced ebayer trying to bend the rules.

90% of the time, these guys are penny pinchers trying to get a discount, so most of them will agree to this, but if you act too smart, they'll realize that you're not really losing anything from the deal and want more refunded back to them.

Give them their little 10% back, unmark as payment received, cancel the case with a note to ebay that you gave a partial refund, so you get roughly the same amount back in credit and it hasn't cost you a dime.

stanislav 08-05-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by john456 (Post 474185)

The problem is you will get negative feedback as a retaliation.

acreech41311 08-06-2013 06:16 AM

I responded back to her and asked if she wanted to return the item, she responded back late last night and said "No I love it"
So I wrote back and asked her to please close the case. I wanted to tack on "P.S. You're an idiot" but I didn't figure that would fly too well. I just dont get what these buyers are thinking sometimes, whether they are up to something or if they really are just that stupid to think that the way to tell me they love something I sold them is by opening a case for it.

john456 08-06-2013 10:09 AM

Keep in mind that ebay is complicated for the average user.
You dont always understand what you are doing or the impact it has.

rsot 08-06-2013 12:12 PM

Choose the return for refund option - see how the buyer responds and take it from there. Simple and not complicated.

Sandy D 08-06-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acreech41311 (Post 474430)
I responded back to her and asked if she wanted to return the item, she responded back late last night and said "No I love it"
So I wrote back and asked her to please close the case. I wanted to tack on "P.S. You're an idiot" but I didn't figure that would fly too well. I just dont get what these buyers are thinking sometimes, whether they are up to something or if they really are just that stupid to think that the way to tell me they love something I sold them is by opening a case for it.

Keep that message in case you need to add it in the resolution area.

Furious George 08-06-2013 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stanislav (Post 474202)
The problem is you will get negative feedback as a retaliation.

Be nice and there is no need for retaliation.