How in the world does this guy pull it off? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 08-11-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default How in the world does this guy pull it off?

Last week I was shown this big eBay/Amazon seller's operation. He has 3 ebay accts, 1 legit, 2 stealth and sells low risk non vero items with average price $10-$40. Sells combined on eBay upwards of $500K a year, sends out upwards of 60-100 packages a day, up to 3-400 during december.

Was totally impressed with efficiency of his operation. Thing that blew me away though was that his 1st legit acct (new legit registered with wife) was banned on eBay for selling fufu handbags which I gather gets you forever blacklisted, and he's running all three current ebay accts through the same IP and address that was banned! He even kept calling eBay to get limit increases! How in the world does he get away with it?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-11-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%
Default Re: How in the world does this guy pull it off?

Where there is a will.. there is a way.

I doubt he's telling you the whole truth. It sounds like an exaggeration.
Old 08-11-2014

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

And the 500k a year is a big factor, remember there is a price for everything even with eBay
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
scotch (08-14-2014)
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
I doubt he's telling you the whole truth. It sounds like an exaggeration.
The dude was not exaggerating as far as I can tell. He logged into his accounts in front of me without changing IP.
The Following User Says Thank You to toml3030 For This Useful Post:
scotch (08-14-2014)
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
And the 500k a year is a big factor, remember there is a price for everything even with eBay
Yeah, I think that must be it. His ebay and paypal fees are up in the neighborhood of 70K a year. He must have hit the level where he's paying so much fees that they leave him alone. It probably also helps that in his new accts he has very very clean DSR's.
Old 08-11-2014

Longevity: 56%

There are a lot of factors to take into account because I am in a similar situation. As long as he sells LOW RISK NON VERO items he will be fine. Also, as long he keeps accounts seperate he should be fine, no duplicate listings, etc. I try to make accounts for specific things so they never interlap. For ex: 1 bay account only does sneakers. the other 1 will only do computer electronics, well you get my point.
Old 08-11-2014
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

Does he have an account manager? Did he mention that to you?
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
Does he have an account manager? Did he mention that to you?
No, didn't ask him, you think it would make a difference where an acct manager can squash any flags from trust and safety department?
Old 08-11-2014
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,553 Times in 2,205 Posts
Activity: 50%
Longevity: 91%

I really think he is walking on thin ice.

Nowadays, it doesn't matter how much you make as a small seller.
Look at it from this point of view... if someone is spending say $100 the first month on your business, you may not think much of it... but then once it goes up to $1000 your reaction is "huray" yes?

That goes on for a while then your client does something a little off which is out of his norm, wouldn't you be a little suspicious and scared? This is when eB and PP start to do some kind of limitations.

About his management, in order for him to do that much, he must be working day and night if he's alone. The most efficient seller I have seen was Glacier if I recall their ID from a long time ago.

THey ship about 200 items a day, they made a little warehouse out of their barn and they have a constant 3-4 people packing stuff and 1 person managing the accounts.

LIke Aspkin said, there must be more to what he just told you, as people don't always like telling the small details of their operations

PS: that seller was kicked out off eBay for no really good reason that I know of and it was on the auction news too. Making too much money perhaps?
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

About his management, in order for him to do that much, he must be working day and night if he's alone.

It's him his wife, and they have 3 part timer workers.

LIke Aspkin said, there must be more to what he just told you, as people don't always like telling the small details of their operations.

Like I told aspkin, from what I've seen the dude is legit. He doesn't worry about his accts getting linked and he seems absolutely convinced that he's safe as long as he stays away from fufu stuff and keep customers happy. He also has a big acct in Amazon in a closed category (which I would kill for). Ships everything within 1 business day and charges enough to refund everything if a customer makes a fuss.
Old 08-11-2014
Super Moderator

That sounds great. regardless , just thread carefully if you are following him or he's making you do something.

Too good stories are usually too good, unfortunately they are always very alluring.
I hope he keeps being successful, I'm just too paranoid and will NEVER think I'll be safe forever rgardless if I were perfect.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
JamesNorth101 (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
That sounds great. regardless , just thread carefully if you are following him or he's making you do something..
We sell different things so I don't have to mimic him on anything, and I have enough bad experiences with eBay to know that the hammer can drop on him at any time. There are some elements that definitely can be worked into what I do, but to be successful you have to find a style that fits.
Old 08-11-2014
Super Moderator

I agree... and I'm glad you are aware of what I said.

You are going to keep us posted in here with your progress I hope?

Heck, join the VIP so you can post there too!
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiJin View Post
I agree... and I'm glad you are aware of what I said.

You are going to keep us posted in here with your progress I hope?

Heck, join the VIP so you can post there too!

Actually I'm helping him manufacture something new he wants to sell (He's gotten so big he's actually getting stuff manufactured so competitors can't mimic what he sells). He says he can build me a stealth acct with 1000/100,000 limit easy withing 6 months in consideration for me helping him manufacture what he needs. I may ask him to try.
Old 08-11-2014

Longevity: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml3030 View Post
Actually I'm helping him manufacture something new he wants to sell (He's gotten so big he's actually getting stuff manufactured so competitors can't mimic what he sells). He says he can build me a stealth acct with 1000/100,000 limit easy withing 6 months in consideration for me helping him manufacture what he needs. I may ask him to try.
I personally don't believe that. Think of the Sandy case. If she made so much money from antiques, why would she ask forum members to invest money and why would she sell accounts which is extra time dealing with customers and logging information about the accounts. If you're making $100k's, why bother with accounts. I know with accounts alone you can make enough to have a very nice living, but if you're making a killing with eBay, why do accounts, which is all manual. Once you have your products that sell, eBay is very automated. You just sit back, answer questions and ship. You might need to build stealth accounts up, but not 100s a month.

It's the same here, and if it's so easy for him to make these accounts why doesn't he have more stealth accounts? Three accounts aren't a great amount, if one goes down you just lost $150,000+. You cannot guarantee anything with limit increases. I got a stealth to 1200 limit in under 4 months, could I do it again? Probably not as once you have put all the care possible in, it's lady luck for if eBay increases you. Again, if you're making $100,000+ a year, why bother doing more.

It's not just "if it seems too good to be true", but also you need to picture yourself as the other person. What is their motive to do something? If it doesn't make any sense, which this doesn't, then the only outcome is that it's not true.

Quote:
Actually I'm helping him manufacture something new he wants to sell (He's gotten so big he's actually getting stuff manufactured so competitors can't mimic what he sells)
I bet a couple of Chinese manufacturers would have thing or two to say about that line.

Last edited by xShevaa7x; 08-11-2014 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

"If you're making $100k's, why bother with accounts."

actually his advice for me was to cut down on the 8 or so $10-15K accts down to two or three and keep selling to the limit to grow the acct, the reasoning being that each of those accts don't amount to much, but if you have one $100K acct, eBay is more apt to let you get away with stuff.

" You just sit back, answer questions and ship. You might need to build stealth accounts up, but not 100s a month."

His selling accts are already much bigger than this.

"It's the same here, and if it's so easy for him to make these accounts why doesn't he have more stealth accounts?"

Because he's already selling a LOT on his live accts, and according to him, it's MUCH better to have 1 acct with 10K feed back than a bunch of them with less than 1K

"Three accounts aren't a great amount, if one goes down you just lost $150,000+."

Read the thread. He's absolutely convinced that they won't shut him down.

"I bet a couple of Chinese manufacturers would have thing or two to say about that line."

His niche isn't big enough for chinese manufacturers to get involved, and it is an area that people generally don't wait 2 weeks for the product.
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
actually his advice for me was to cut down on the 8 or so $10-15K accts down to two or three and keep selling to the limit to grow the acct, the reasoning being that each of those accts don't amount to much, but if you have one $100K acct, eBay is more apt to let you get away with stuff.
I wasn't talking about this guy. However, making you account is the same principle, why bother. If i'm making $100k's I would rather give you $5000-10,000 instead of build an account up for 6 months.

Quote:
His selling accts are already much bigger than this.
This wasn't about this guy. Although I don't see how that makes sense.

Quote:
Because he's already selling a LOT on his live accts, and according to him, it's MUCH better to have 1 acct with 10K feed back than a bunch of them with less than 1K
What happens if one goes down though, that's 1/3 of your income gone. Members here only last week posted they lost accounts with 10k+ feedback.

Quote:
Read the thread. He's absolutely convinced that they won't shut him down.
I think you should read my replies to you because half of your responses haven't made any sense to me. Just because he's convinced doesn't mean he's right. Schizophrenic people are "absolutely convinced" the voices are real, doesn't mean they are.

Quote:
His niche isn't big enough for chinese manufacturers to get involved, and it is an area that people generally don't wait 2 weeks for the product.
Chinese manufacturers aren't millionaires. Sure, they make nice money i'm sure, but their profit margins are smaller than ours because $1000 to me is a lot less than to someone from China. That's why they can sell cheap items on eBay for low prices with small profit margins. The cheap shipping they get and small profit margins mean they can make less, but it means more to them.

I don't understand because it cost a lot to make your own product, and if you don't brand it and file patents, why bother. It's like building a house, then someone comes a long and puts a lock on the front door and then that house belongs to them.

All i'm saying is be careful. The fact he's going to tag you along with a "6 month account" shows he will run you around the houses. I don't know why he feels the need to show you and risk everything? I just don't believe it.

Last edited by xShevaa7x; 08-11-2014 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Why does this really matter? I mean it is INTERESTING, but rather than get caught up in what another seller is allowed to do, I think everyone would be better off trying to build their own businesses.

Also, in most cases, people who brag about whatever are full of it. There are forum members here making $2,000 per year in sales and their are others who sell more than $500k per year. But I guarantee you the ones who have the $500k in sales are NOT bragging about it.

And no, my sales are nowhere near that!
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
xShevaa7x (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014
Threadstarter  

"All i'm saying is be careful."

I am extremely careful in my own selling. That's why I 'm asking how in the world does this guy do it?

"The fact he's going to tag you along with a "6 month account" shows he will run you around the houses."

Not very likely, he's already shown me enough to make me not question what he says. And besides, we sell different stuff so his and my interests don't conflict.

"I don't know why he feels the need to show you and risk everything? I just don't believe it."

Some people have the need to brag because they crave recognition. It's in their blood.
Old 08-11-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 76%

1. Sold coun.terf.eits.
2. Thinks he's 100% invincible.
3. Wants to build you a stea.lth account instead of actually paying you.

The ignorance here is astounding and you're just a kid in his candy factory. Have fun.
Old 08-11-2014
Super Moderator

Man, you are harsh...

like I said, too good = very alluring. Just let him do what he thinks is right.

THen keep us posted in here with the results. You never know
Old 08-11-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by toml3030 View Post
"All i'm saying is be careful."

I am extremely careful in my own selling. That's why I 'm asking how in the world does this guy do it?

"The fact he's going to tag you along with a "6 month account" shows he will run you around the houses."

Not very likely, he's already shown me enough to make me not question what he says. And besides, we sell different stuff so his and my interests don't conflict.

"I don't know why he feels the need to show you and risk everything? I just don't believe it."

Some people have the need to brag because they crave recognition. It's in their blood.
I mean be careful and not get sucked in and scammed by this guy.