Ebay Buyer Misusing Policies - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 08-29-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 55%
Default Ebay Buyer Misusing Policies

An Ebay buyer opened a case against me for "item not as described" three weeks AFTER receiving the item. I have a generous return policy and would gladly do so upon receipt of returned items. There were many items in the lot a few of which were antique silver handled items. He scrapped the entire lot and decided after three weeks that the few pieces were not sterling and now opened a case and does not want to return the original items because the items have been pulverized during a silver extraction process.

Here are is an excerpt from an email I received from the Ebay buyer: "All that remains of the metal items is the material (powder). Would you like the powder material back?" There were many other items in this lot that were not metal and he does not want to return any but yet wants a return refund.

EBAY SIDED WITH THE BUYER. I researched Ebay's Buying Policies which state on their website that returning an item that has been damaged is not allowed and not returning the item as it was sent is also not allowed.

He disintegrated the items that were in my listing and wants to return me a pile of "dry powder". How do I know this buyer won't send me back a pile of sand? Is this a scam? Where is Ebay's seller protection? Any suggestions on what to do?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-29-2014

Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Ebay Buyer Misusing Policies

I am not sure how much your items cost, but that is a classical example of eBay not caring about sellers.

You cannot do anything at this time; move on and forget.

I have decided not to sell valuable items on eBay. The most expensive item I lost was $33 last year to a professional scammer.
Old 08-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Welcome to the forums - it is a tough hill to fight with eB....what is the cost involved?
Old 08-29-2014
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

If the case closes in favour of the buyer, you will need to contact ebay by ringing then. Explain the situation and quote ebays relevant return policies.

What your buyer has done is not permitted. You ahould be able to win any appeal.

Just be persistent and stick to the facts.
Old 08-29-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I'm not sure from your post, but was the lot of items advertised as containing sterling silver? Because if he bought it based on the fact that he was buying silver, even if it were just a part of the lot, then he may actually be in the right here.

On the other hand, if he just ASSUMED the handles were sterling silver and your listing did nor promise that (and you also didn't promise that in an email) then YOU would be in the right.

Either way, however, eBay normally sides with the buyer. Their policy is usually to ask the buyer to return the item for a refund. It is fairly rare that the side with the seller in the case of an item not being as described. Especially if the case could go either way.

You also didn't mention the amount of money involved. You can try to appeal this, but is it worth potentially losing the account? If you are fighting over fifteen bucks, I would advise that you simply drop it. Whatever the value, only YOU can answer the question as to whether it is worth it or not.

If you appeal it, I would clearly state in the appeal that the buyer destroyed the item and wants to send back the pieces (or powder) for a refund.