Creating First Stealth Account (address question) - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 01-19-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default Creating First Stealth Account (address question)

Hi, I'm newly registered, but have been following these boards for over a year now. A couple years ago i was suspended from eB for not shipping a few items, and would like to be able to sell again. I don't plan on making a business out of this or doing any high volume or high risk items. Just want to be able to sell a few used household items and electronics from time to time when the need arises (upgrades, gifts we don't need, etc). Here's my plan so far...

- phone tethering for different IP addresses (tracking via spreadsheet)
- use Firefox Portable browser (keep cookies)
- create new yahoo email address
- bought Tracfone (black writing SIM card) for text verification
- bought Vanilla Gift Card for paypal and ebay verification and paying ebay fees
- purchase a VBA for paypal (upgrade to real BofA account in 30-60 days to withdraw, and remove VBA as funding option)

I am still unclear on what to do about my name and address. I want to keep things on the "up and up" as much as possible. I currently have both a PO Box and a UPS Store mailbox that i use for my business (sole owner, corporation). I already have a paypal account that i use for my business (no ebay account), but i don't think that account is a good option because i have not used any stealth practices and probably have my real personal info in there as well. The UPS Store address has never been used on that Paypal account though. Should I use that UPS address for my stealth account? I'm not worried about returns, but again, i'd like to keep this as legit as possible, so I'm hesitant to use a random address. On that note, I'm also unclear as to what to do about my name when registering on ebay and paypal. Should I use a variation/mispelling of my real name?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-19-2015

Longevity: 55%
Default Re: Creating First Stealth Account (address question)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmith1884 View Post
Hi, I'm newly registered, but have been following these boards for over a year now. A couple years ago i was suspended from eB for not shipping a few items, and would like to be able to sell again. I don't plan on making a business out of this or doing any high volume or high risk items. Just want to be able to sell a few used household items and electronics from time to time when the need arises (upgrades, gifts we don't need, etc). Here's my plan so far...

- phone tethering for different IP addresses (tracking via spreadsheet)
- use Firefox Portable browser (keep cookies)
- create new yahoo email address
- bought Tracfone (black writing SIM card) for text verification
- bought Vanilla Gift Card for paypal and ebay verification and paying ebay fees
- purchase a VBA for paypal (upgrade to real BofA account in 30-60 days to withdraw, and remove VBA as funding option)

I am still unclear on what to do about my name and address. I want to keep things on the "up and up" as much as possible. I currently have both a PO Box and a UPS Store mailbox that i use for my business (sole owner, corporation). I already have a paypal account that i use for my business (no ebay account), but i don't think that account is a good option because i have not used any stealth practices and probably have my real personal info in there as well. The UPS Store address has never been used on that Paypal account though. Should I use that UPS address for my stealth account? I'm not worried about returns, but again, i'd like to keep this as legit as possible, so I'm hesitant to use a random address. On that note, I'm also unclear as to what to do about my name when registering on ebay and paypal. Should I use a variation/mispelling of my real name?

Thanks in advance for the advice!
An accessible address that has not been used with eb or pp before will be a good move.

Dont like name variations myself. Why put yourself at risk. Stealth is stealth so i would completely change your name :-)
RosieTosie (01-19-2015), wsmith1884 (01-19-2015)
Old 01-19-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooooo.halo View Post
An accessible address that has not been used with eb or pp before will be a good move.

Dont like name variations myself. Why put yourself at risk. Stealth is stealth so i would completely change your name :-)
Hi, thanks for the input. I see your point about the name. If I'm using an address that is mine, I think I would feel ok about using a completely different name. I guess I would need to check with my UPS Store guy and see what his policies are about different names. Allthough i could just put my legit business name on there with an ATTN: Mr. Stealth Name, huh? I'm sure the UPS Store guy would have no issues receiving packages like that.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 01-19-2015
Threadstarter  

Also, should i bother with a VBA, or just go ahead and use my new BofA savings account? I don't plan on opening multiple accounts, and if I use my real UPS Store mailbox and somehow mess up and get this thing shut down, I may not even attempt another stealth account. Maybe one more attempt with my PO Box, but that would probably be it. At this point I'll be selling so infrequently it would not be worth doing if I had to incur any monthly expenses on top of what i plan on paying for the Tracfone (~$7/mo).
Old 01-19-2015

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the input. I see your point about the name. If I'm using an address that is mine, I think I would feel ok about using a completely different name. I guess I would need to check with my UPS Store guy and see what his policies are about different names. Allthough i could just put my legit business name on there with an ATTN: Mr. Stealth Name, huh? I'm sure the UPS Store guy would have no issues receiving packages like that.

Thanks again for the reply.
Best off checking with address provider. Shouldnt be a problem but check first.
Im from the uk and i have accessible addresses that allow additional names....so always best to ask :-)
wsmith1884 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-19-2015

Quote:
Also, should i bother with a VBA, or just go ahead and use my new BofA savings account? I don't plan on opening multiple accounts, and if I use my real UPS Store mailbox and somehow mess up and get this thing shut down, I may not even attempt another stealth account. Maybe one more attempt with my PO Box, but that would probably be it. At this point I'll be selling so infrequently it would not be worth doing if I had to incur any monthly expenses on top of what i plan on paying for the Tracfone (~$7/mo).
Probably best i dont answer due to my being.from the UK.
If youre saying that this is your one and only crack at stealth then yes use a real account. But my understanding is that a VBA is great for the US as a way of seeing if account sticks before adding a real one.
Ultimately its your decision but if it was me, id hang fire and wait from sone responses from some US members and get some proper advice from them :-)
wsmith1884 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Probably best i dont answer due to my being.from the UK.
If youre saying that this is your one and only crack at stealth then yes use a real account. But my understanding is that a VBA is great for the US as a way of seeing if account sticks before adding a real one.
Ultimately its your decision but if it was me, id hang fire and wait from sone responses from some US members and get some proper advice from them :-)
I hear ya. thanks though. After some thought, I realized that I probably shouldn't be so absolute in saying this will be my one and only attempt at a stealth account. And it does seem like the VBA is kind of a "no brainer" given its benefits and low $10 cost.
Old 01-20-2015
Threadstarter  

In the case that I wanted to go ahead and setup two stealth accounts, would I need to get a second UPS Store mailbox? Or could i use an address variation (e.g. STE vs #)? Or even a random address for the second account (or do you still recommend having an accessible address for all secondary accounts too)?
Old 01-20-2015

Quote:
In the case that I wanted to go ahead and setup two stealth accounts, would I need to get a second UPS Store mailbox? Or could i use an address variation (e.g. STE vs #)? Or even a random address for the second account (or do you still recommend having an accessible address for all secondary accounts too)?
Accessible addresses are overall the best for returns etc...
I wouldnt like to advise on random addresses though im sure people do do that. The prob with doing that is refunds. Also what if eb decided to do an identity check by a.code sent to the address. It HAS been known to happen. You wouldnt get it and your account would be in trouble.
Its really up to you what risks you take and whether the items you are selling are worth forgetting about. Of course, you can send return labels if you want with your parcels but thats sonething i feel uneasy doing.
Im really not familar with postal in the US, so i dont know what the set up is with UPS ma8lboxes. Many use them on the forum so i would wait and see what they say :-)
MM78 (01-20-2015), wsmith1884 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015
Threadstarter  

Thank you again for the reply.
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmith1884 For This Useful Post:
ooooo.halo (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015
Threadstarter  

And to confirm, a variation of the clean address for my second stealth account wouldn't work (for pp/eb). I would need another mailbox, right?
Old 01-20-2015

Longevity: 54%

If you want to create a stealth account, find a house that has just been built near your IP location for the "home address". For returns get a mail forwarding address or ups drop box.
The Following User Says Thank You to pikachu10 For This Useful Post:
wsmith1884 (01-20-2015)
Old 01-20-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu10 View Post
If you want to create a stealth account, find a house that has just been built near your IP location for the "home address". For returns get a mail forwarding address or ups drop box.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you just need to be in the same Country as the IP address, not necessarily in the same area or State? I'll be tethering for my internet access, and my mobile provider's IP's always seem to be on the West coast, whereas I'm on the East coast. Would it be wise to use a "home" address near my mobile provider's West coast servers? Or is the general consensus to use my local accessible address as both the "home" and returns address?

Also, what if I happened to make more $ than I expect, and decide to report my income for tax purposes? (I don't mess around when it comes to that stuff). Would that affect anything? Or would the address and name on my eB/PP accounts not really matter, as long as I reported the income? The bank account to which i withdraw the funds will be a regular savings account in my name.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm ready to do this, but I keep going back and forth on the name and address thing. As you can probably tell, I want to keep things as "legit" as possible, but of course need to stay stealth when it comes to eB/PP.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Old 01-21-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikachu10 View Post
Nonsense.
And what happens if eb sends a code for OP at that address....is he/she going to break in and retrieve code or ambush the new owners and.demand their post.
Addresses need to be accessible. Not just for returns but also for any surprises from eb deciding to drop you a code to check you do indeed live there.
wsmith1884 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

With regards to VBA use, don't need to remove it...after your initial success, you can add a new bank account - just set it as default for withdrawal; don't withdraw to the VBA
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
wsmith1884 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
With regards to VBA use, don't need to remove it...after your initial success, you can add a new bank account - just set it as default for withdrawal; don't withdraw to the VBA
Ok, cool. Thanks!
Old 01-21-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Nonsense.
And what happens if eb sends a code for OP at that address....is he/she going to break in and retrieve code or ambush the new owners and.demand their post.
Addresses need to be accessible. Not just for returns but also for any surprises from eb deciding to drop you a code to check you do indeed live there.
Yeah, I see the logic in having an accessible address when possible, so I'm going to use my UPS Store mailbox.
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmith1884 For This Useful Post:
ooooo.halo (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Yeah, I see the logic in having an accessible address when possible, so I'm going to use my UPS Store mailbox.
Good move, also if you use a UPS Store Mailbox it can be used to buy stuff...
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
wsmith1884 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015
Threadstarter  

Ok, I think I'm ready to do this. I will be using my UPS Store mailbox in the following format...

123 South Roadname Street, APT 999
City, State 12345

For my name, the UPS Store seems to be a little picky about that, so i think i will use a variation/nickname of my first name, and a completely different spelling but somewhat phonetically similar last name. That way i can make something up about the sender butchering my name after hearing it on the phone if the UPS Store guy has any questions for me. Does this sound like a good idea?

Regarding my plan for aging/preparing my account once it is open...

- Browse and bid (not win) for 15-30 days
- Is it necessary to buy some items? I keep reading conflicting advice on this point. Since i have an accessible address, should i just go ahead and buy some stuff?
- After 15-30 days of browsing/bidding/buying, list a few low-cost, non-branded, household items
- provide very detailed descriptions for my listings, take lots of original photos, and remove the metadata from the photos (i have photoshop for this)
- continue to list low-cost, non-branded household items, books, etc for the next few months?

At what point would it be ok for me to list my wife's used iPhone 5? I read that anything Apple is high risk. :/ Regardless of ebay risk, i still think i should obtain at least 40-50 positive feedback, simply to make the buyer feel more comfortable. So in that case, would listing it in 6 to 8 months be ok in terms of ebay risk?

At what point would it be ok for me to list some of my old Nintendo NES games? I have a couple hundred that i'd like to get rid of. I'd like to sell them in lots of 10 or 15 at a time. FYI, NES games were what i was selling on my old account that got banned for not shipping a few orders (long story).
Old 01-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Browse and bid (not win) for 15-30 days
- Is it necessary to buy some items? I keep reading conflicting advice on this point. Since i have an accessible address, should i just go ahead and buy some stuff?
Remember that as a seller, seller feedback is a lot more important than buying feedback.

Quote:
- After 15-30 days of browsing/bidding/buying, list a few low-cost, non-branded, household items
Low cost, Non-branded items is always the best way to go.

Quote:
- provide very detailed descriptions for my listings, take lots of original photos, and remove the metadata from the photos (i have photoshop for this)
Yes, this is good.

Quote:
- continue to list low-cost, non-branded household items, books, etc for the next few months?
This really depends on you, I would suggest you build up at least 10-15 minimum positive "sellers" feedback before selling anything of higher value.

Quote:
At what point would it be ok for me to list my wife's used iPhone 5? I read that anything Apple is high risk. :/ Regardless of ebay risk, i still think i should obtain at least 40-50 positive feedback, simply to make the buyer feel more comfortable. So in that case, would listing it in 6 to 8 months be ok in terms of ebay risk?
At least 10-15.

Quote:
At what point would it be ok for me to list some of my old Nintendo NES games? I have a couple hundred that i'd like to get rid of. I'd like to sell them in lots of 10 or 15 at a time. FYI, NES games were what i was selling on my old account that got banned for not shipping a few orders (long story).
Same advice as above.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
ooooo.halo (01-21-2015), wsmith1884 (01-21-2015)
Old 01-21-2015
Threadstarter  

@MM78, Thank you for the detailed answer my friend. All makes sense. One question though... when you say "At least 10-15." in response to my iPhone/NES question, you mean 10-15 positive feedback? Or 10-15 months time.

Thanks again
Old 01-21-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
@MM78, Thank you for the detailed answer my friend. All makes sense. One question though... when you say "At least 10-15." in response to my iPhone/NES question, you mean 10-15 positive feedback? Or 10-15 months time.

Thanks again
10-15 Positive Feedbacks as a seller. Personally I sell higher risk items the minute I hit 20 Positive Feedbacks and really don't bother trying to get more, if I get them I get them, if not...it's all good.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
wsmith1884 (01-21-2015)