ebay throttle?? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-03-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 53%
Default ebay throttle??

Ok does eBay throttle new accounts????

Give you a fine example. In 48 hours sold 10 items. Bam no sales for a few days, dry. Then sales start trickling in. I noticed low page counts on said items.

ALso another fine example. Me and another seller is selling virtually same product. Same keywords pretty much, same interchange. Auto part is all Im going to say.

His 65 with 20 shipping. Mine with 65 free shipping.

Bam he does 5 units in 72 hours. Me on my one, no sale in a week.

So is it low feedback or eBay throttling page views???

My business model is simple. Cut every bodies nuts off and have the cheapest price on eBay. Because I get things for free or pennies on the dollar. Still not working.

Ideas?

Im new to the stealth world, but not eBay. Ran a successful business generating a grand a week till I threw it away. Because eBay allowed several fraudlent returns that was not my item returned. Verified with uv dye under blacklight, serials recorded, etc. They did not care, buyer was right. I was out 500 in 2 days. So said f it for a few years. Accoutn got locked and now Im back....
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-06-2015
Threadstarter  

Default Re: ebay throttle??

Well I confirmed suspicion. Once I get x amount of sales, sales are dead. 0. One I ship out said items and tracking shows activity, then they come back. Hmm, interesting
Old 03-06-2015

Longevity: 61%

I have an account with 26,000 feedback and I feel the same.

Sales never go over 5.5k a month.. if I have a unusually high sales day, they seem to cut me back the next day.. So a usual day is £170 ish.. If I take £250 one day, next day will be down to £60 ish, pretty unheard of, so it must be eBay doing it.

I've doubled my inventory in the last year and still take the same amount. Adding Amazon has made the biggest difference to me, not sure why eBay are doing it? Feedback is 99.9%, stars are near enough 5* on everything.. Had a couple of Vero in the last few years, but nothing recent.
Old 03-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I don't think that eBay is removing your listings as much as manipulating how your item shows up in the search results. To find out, you can try this:

Get on another computer with a different IP address - you can use a library computer or a friends, etc. Then search for your listing using keywords users might type in to find your item and see what the results are. I recommend the different computer and IP address, because eBay could easily show YOU one set of results and show different results to the rest of the world.

To the OP, not everyone automatically buys the items that are the lowest priced. I often skip over sellers who have the lowest price, but little or bad feedback.

This test will not show everything, however. I have noticed on several accounts that I often get a bunch of sales during a few hours that tend to come from the same geographic area. So, they could show different results to people in different parts of the country.

My answer to this has been more accounts. Yes, it is a pain, but even if you find ABSOLUTE PROOF that eBay is manipulating search results, or even making your listing disappear, what then? Complain to eBay? They don't care. You cannot change the system, you have to work within it to beat it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (04-14-2016), Geegee83 (03-18-2015)
Old 03-06-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

I noticed this as well.

Ebays solution to giving everyone a chance. So they rotate auctions/sales.

Its a pain
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCJ For This Useful Post:
Geegee83 (03-18-2015)
Old 03-17-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 56%

well is this for different regions?? or for new accounts??

I noticed my older stronger accounts dont have this visibility issue.
Old 03-17-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Silent'

I lean towards newer accounts especially for the USA.

Old 03-17-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanks GreenBean

I think I will try waking up some of my sleeper accounts to see if they get the same treatment.
Old 03-17-2015

Longevity: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy214 View Post
Ok does eBay throttle new accounts????
Depends what you mean by throttling...

If you mean restricting all sellers to get a certain value of sales, then no. This is what most ebay sellers think but is incorrect.
If you mean your listing ranking vs other listing rankings, then yes.

How familiar are you with best match sorting?

Quote:
So is it low feedback or eBay throttling page views???
Again, depends what you mean by throttling...

Quote:
My business model is simple. Cut every bodies nuts off and have the cheapest price on eBay. Because I get things for free or pennies on the dollar. Still not working.

Ideas?
Heres my idea...

You need to update your undercut all other sellers motto. Thats so 2004.
Listing rank and history is a big factor you must not forget to realize.
Take time to learn how best match sorting works. Unfortunately its not in black and white.

Heres a scenario to help you get started understanding how best match sorting works...

Under best match sorting, if you enter the market (list a fresh listing) selling a product that other sellers already got a hundreds or thousands of sold history before you came in, dont expect your low price means you deserve ebay ranking #1 best matched spot when other sellers built their listing rank position for way longer than you have.

Ebay doesnt make it that easy anymore.
If it were that easy everyone would just buy products with the highest sold history and be rich by now feeding off these sellers, but its not like that anymore. Sounds familiar??

How would you feel if you was the one thats been selling that product for a long time and all sudden some new listing tries to take all your hardwork just by undercutting you few bucks? Probably wouldnt be very pleased.

Theres a sorting option for you which you would appear in the #1 spot, but thats not what many buyers use. Most buyers use the default (best match) sorting when shopping.

Starting to understand why you cant get more sales than the old fart whos been selling the same product as you?

Theres a lot more to it. Especially why you notice you first see a lot of sales then all of a sudden it all stops for a verrrrry long time.

Start familiarizing yourself with best match sorting or youll go broke trying to undercut other sellers.
You can have best match #1 spot, but you better earn it.

It all depends what you meant by throttling.

Last edited by thready; 03-17-2015 at 08:29 PM.
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Ebay throttles BIG accounts most. Tons of threads and proof about this.

To sum it up, a big account has thousands of listings. Sometimes thousands in a particular nitch category. So 90+ of all ebay sales happen on the first page. If ebay did not turn big sellers visibility off and on in search(not saying store view) then non of the small sellers would ever get seen.

I did extensive searching on my big accounts this past November and December. 100% is the case.

The more auctions you have in the mix, the more visibility you get as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (04-14-2016)
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

I have generally sold my items just lower than everybody else, just to make sure people buy MY stuff, not others. After a while it seemed that I could go as far as 70% lower than other people, still I woulnd't sell THAT quickly.
Then I decided to change my tactics and focus on SEO and listing titles, decriptions and other finer points, just to see if it makes ANY difference and to my surprise, it worked with some of my items.
It almost feels like it's so random that without doing EXTENSIVE research, it's very difficult to get the REAL understanding regarding how you are ranked and how does it all work.
Old 03-18-2015

Longevity: 54%

A lot of times I will search by "lowest price first"...but i wont always buy from the lowest priced seller. I look at feedback and see what other people have said before making a decision. This is where your tactic would come in handy...undercutting the other sellers.
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

But undercutting is not needed to be honest. The product that I sell kind of sells itself and people are more than happy to pay £20-30 more if the item is LEGIT and in fine condition.

If somebody out there is wondering what I'm selling: I sell used dildos.

Edit: In my case it all depends how long can I keep hold out for "good" price and when do I need to shift the stock quicker. At the moment I'm in a place where I have the luxury of NOT having the need to shift the stock ASAP to buy food or pay rent. When I started out it was a bit tighter(That's what she said)- I remember buying stuff on Monday and thinking that by Sunday I need to have sold the stock already.
Now I can sit on it for couple of months easily, thus my ROI has increased significantly.
I just noticed that I can keep undercutting, but at some point it becomes counterproductive and I just had to change and find new ways of making sales happen: Better listings, more listings, different auction styles, more accounts etc etc.

Last edited by Haidukken; 03-18-2015 at 11:34 AM.
Old 03-18-2015

Do the dildoes come with dried bodily fluids? Will you include a used set of panties if I order?
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfebay View Post
Do the dildoes come with dried bodily fluids?
this is an extra charge, an extra $20.

Quote:
Will you include a used set of panties if I order?
Yes, we have XXXL and XXXXXXL, please let me know which size you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to MM78 For This Useful Post:
Haidukken (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
****, that's how you undercut me then! I charge at least $30 for the extra and I only go as high as M and sometimes in rare cases L sizes.

****... I need to rethink my whole approach and sourcing. It seems that I've been doing it wrong the whole time.
Old 03-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by haidukk View Post
But undercutting is not needed to be honest. The product that I sell kind of sells itself and people are more than happy to pay £20-30 more if the item is LEGIT and in fine condition.
I agree. When the market isn't saturated the product sells itself and you get to charge what you like.

Try going into a saturated market (for example, like otterbox, lifeproof, or just plan TPU iPhone cases) where many other sellers with tens of thousands of listings already been selling the same item you are trying to sell, undercut your prices and see what happens. Even though your price is clearly much lower, you'll still see long time sellers at the top will continue to get bunch of sales while you snatch a few sales, if any. This has nothing to do with sales volume throttling in my opinion.
Old 03-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Ebay throttles BIG accounts most. Tons of threads and proof about this.

To sum it up, a big account has thousands of listings. Sometimes thousands in a particular nitch category. So 90+ of all ebay sales happen on the first page. If ebay did not turn big sellers visibility off and on in search(not saying store view) then non of the small sellers would ever get seen.

I did extensive searching on my big accounts this past November and December. 100% is the case.

The more auctions you have in the mix, the more visibility you get as well.
We noticed something similar to our accounts as well. Whether big or small. It particularly happens when we run low in stock and start raising prices. To us, thats losing our sales momentum until we can get more inventory. By the time we get more inventory we done got bumped down in ranking and given other sellers an opportunity to climb up. At this point we notice that is sometimes hard to get back up, but eventually with some changes we get the sales rolling in hard again. All this information is in ebay listings analytics.
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Keeping an item "trending" is very hard to do on fixed price items when someone undercuts drastically or a new seller steps in and grabs a few sales or as you stated you raise price to slow sales.

Ebay is a whole new beast the past two years.
Old 03-18-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Now there is a new option with US accounts for BIN , where Id you run out of stock you do not need to worry it will keep your listing still going with all your buyers watchers , it will just say your item is out of stock

I think it's been 2 months now they had this option and it's great, I have an item that is really hot, and when I run out the listing is still there and as soon as I add inventory within a few hours it starts selling really quick

No need to raise prices or worry about running out
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
dealagreeproceed (04-14-2016)
Old 03-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post

Only 6x huh? I was hoping for some tent sized....somewhere in the vacinity of 20x
Old 03-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

How do accounts get category limits raised. I see quantity raises but what will increase the chance of a category increase. ? tips?