Can companies monitor things sold on Ebay? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 04-22-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 65%
Cool Can companies monitor things sold on Ebay?

I've heard people suggest one might be careful what they sell on Ebay if the items are in fact not rightly yours to sell. I'm not suggesting selling hot stolen items here. But let's say this, someone who works for a popular company/manufacturer let's say Apple. What if in their line of work they obtain older model stuff or office equipment that's for the better part not used anymore and will soon see the trash but still holds value. Some say that companies can monitor who is selling their products and it can come back to bite you. Is this true and is that possible?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%
Default Re: Can companies monitor things sold on Ebay?

Yeah, its called VERO and it can cost you account, money AND your freedom.

These major companies pay other companies and attorneys to look over ebay with a fine tooth comb.

Even if your items are legit, you may not have the right to sell it under any account.
Old 04-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Doesn't matter what you sell, Any company can take your stuff down....especially the big brands. The only way a Company would be able to go after you is by trying to get your bank info or something similar.

Also, if your not authorized to sell certain products, VERO and Ebay will be more than happy to take them down so in essence you won't be able to sell much in the long run.
Old 04-22-2015
Threadstarter  

Ok yeah that makes sense because I've had VERO members remove some of my listings. I guess more on the line of what I was thinking of were things like HP Toners and printer parts?
Old 04-22-2015

Longevity: 59%
Send a message via Skype™ to sln531

Yes a lot of major brand companies have scouts/ Secret buyers that purchase things from eBay to find if people are selling Vero/ counterfeit items.

Back in 2010 when I first started selling on eBay I sold an otterbox and life proof cases that where highly Vero. Well, there is an OtterBox's headquarters located in Fort Collins, Colorado and I had one of their members purchase something from me 1 block away. They happen to work for Otterbox. I came my to find my account suspended a week later.

The moral of the story is anytime you sell anything counterfeit you're just working on borrowed time!

Last edited by sln531; 04-22-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 04-22-2015
Threadstarter  

Thank you SLN. I'm not going to come out and say exactly what brand of what I occasionally sell but I've never had a listing removed. After googling Ebay Vero Company Name I haven't found anything that comes up with the brand I sell. I really don't think what I sell is a high VERO item if at all. According to Ebay's own Q&A on VERO owners, they can NOT try to notify Ebay of suspected stolen items, they would have to contact the proper authorities for such things.

Now I know everyone in these forums aren't saints including myself but I don't want you all thinking I'm shoplifting or going all out stealing property because I'm not. Some of the items I come across in my job or left over supplies from older pieces of equipment that would just be sitting around collecting dust and more than likely would be trashed eventually. I've gone to move out old office buildings and have found several copier/printer parts & toners that the company would deem as obsolete and would probably never get used again. With that said though there have been instances of knuckleheads flat out ordering surpluses of supplies just with the intention of reselling them, I've "heard' a few of those ones have been caught, I'm not sure if it's on Ebay or what but I'm just sayin.
Old 04-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%

You should be careful. Some of those parts are inventory.

I know at the place I help out every now and again, all printers,comps and such are inventoried every few months. Even though they have been sitting there since 1998.

They may be waiting for a place to pick them up or whatnot, but be careful.
The Following User Says Thank You to BigCJ For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (04-22-2015)
Old 04-22-2015
Threadstarter  

Thumbs up Re: Can companies monitor things sold on Ebay?

Thanks BigCJ, very true. I'd like to think that some supplies such would need an actual serial number in order to be inventoried but perhaps I'm wrong. I never list the part's serial number on the listing. I don't really sell a lot of parts either, in fact most are used with a little bit of life left on them.
Old 04-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,342 Times in 961 Posts
Activity: 10%
Longevity: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCJ View Post
You should be careful. Some of those parts are inventory.

I know at the place I help out every now and again, all printers,comps and such are inventoried every few months. Even though they have been sitting there since 1998.

They may be waiting for a place to pick them up or whatnot, but be careful.
I think OP is on the borderline, hence the paranoid post. So yea, I wouldn't suggest to run around snatching things and assuming you can do whatever you want with it.

You sure are harping the serial number issue which makes me think you know some of that stuff doesn't belong to you.

One of those, "Oh, the company is so big, etc., etc...they'll never notice it's gone" type scenarios...that's still ill.egal.
Old 04-22-2015

Longevity: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwayne View Post
I've heard people suggest one might be careful what they sell on Ebay if the items are in fact not rightly yours to sell. I'm not suggesting selling hot stolen items here. But let's say this, someone who works for a popular company/manufacturer let's say Apple. What if in their line of work they obtain older model stuff or office equipment that's for the better part not used anymore and will soon see the trash but still holds value. Some say that companies can monitor who is selling their products and it can come back to bite you. Is this true and is that possible?
You keep saying what if? If it's old stock from an office park, office building, company a lot of companies lease the equipment and then it's sold to a 3rd party vendor who sells it as refurbished. I doubt you going a bunch of Trendy Apple Stuff Dumpster diving I mean you might find some office supplies what are you suggesting here I"m not trying to be a d))K . If it's going to be "trash" and the company has a no dumpster diving policy (like staples) they might try and cause problems for you no doubt about it.
Old 04-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by enwayne View Post
Any company with the IP rights to an item has steps in place to monitor its goods being sold.

It's irrelvant that age means said goods can be sold. Let's say in the world of on-selling IP rights items does not exist. Seller either has the OK or does not.

Risky territory.
Old 04-22-2015
Threadstarter  

Talking Re: Can companies monitor things sold on Ebay?

JDub ha, I hear you, maybe my example of Apple wasn't a good one because what I get a hold of is NO WHERE near that kind of stuff. As far as a no dumpster diving policy, well I don't really know. I've been with my bosses boss at an office clean out once and he flat out said "I'm turning my head, go ahead and take what you want". Of course I don't think there was much of great great value nor did he intend on us taking it to resell, but who knows. Back in the day I used to come across a good amount of Canon and Katun toners. The machines they were for were old and for the most part not in use anymore. I guess my other concern is can just anyone find out what our names are from our Ebay accounts?
Old 04-22-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Any company with the IP rights to an item has steps in place to monitor its goods being sold.

It's irrelvant that age means said goods can be sold. Let's say in the world of on-selling IP rights items does not exist. Seller either has the OK or does not.

Risky territory.
Elaborate a little more on "IP rights"
Old 04-22-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Question of value vs. popularity vs. how old is the inventory....examples to consider on whether a company might consider monitoring...also potential for counterfeit
Old 04-24-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

if you get asked for invoices, you need to think ahead, as you are just collecting these freebies up as perks.....

this is an issue that caused my original accs to fall, work freebies, branded, maybe a couple of handfuls, not really for resale but nobody said not to, people take them for friends and family etc....but they got taken down and I kept relisting as I had not joined the forum and did not realise, I was refered to brand owner, and I had no proofs, so accs remained banned.....and then other accs I made were linked and went down as I knew nothing about stealth...oh yes and then I took down my sisters details too haha....

but yeh, it will be the invoices that would be a stumbling block......