The biggest change that will affect you during the ebay / paypal split - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-08-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 54%
Default The biggest change that will affect you during the ebay / paypal split

There are so many threads popping up almost every day that ask the same question...how does the ebay / paypal split affect me? Many of you simply don't read the updates that are sent via email or even on ebay and paypal's website. So I want this to be an informational thread that answers that question once and for all.

If you haven't caught on by now, YES ebay and paypal are splitting in June. And NO, it doesn't appear there will be much of an impact on you as a seller or buyer. HOWEVER, there is ONE HUGE change that will impact each and every seller here.

Currently there are clauses in place that allow for immediate holds to be placed on your funds in paypal...whether funds are available or not. For example, ebay buyer protection reimbursement or when a buyer files a case against you, you will notice that paypal puts an immediate hold on associated funds. This will NO LONGER be the case. The new clause will now be that ebay can RECOMMEND to paypal that holds be placed on funds in certain instances. It will be up to paypal's discretion whether or not to do this...but more likely than not, you can expect holds to be placed sooner or later.

There are other changes to the policies that will have little to no bearing on your activities. The biggest and most noticeable change is what I have mentioned above. Ebay's buyer protection will be completely separate from paypal now. One thing to note is that if something happens to your ebay account, it does not necessarily mean your paypal account will go down as well. That is a major plus...but we will have to see how things play out before laying anything down as concrete.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to wtfebay For This Useful Post:
colt63 (05-11-2015), Dmshark25 (05-08-2015), joesshooze (05-11-2015), kittylove (05-31-2015), Play (05-31-2015), secret storm (05-11-2015), wakitiwa (05-10-2015)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-08-2015
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 9%
Longevity: 66%
Default Re: The biggest change that will affect you during the ebay / paypal split

Yea,

What I worry about is that if a buyer opens a eBay Claim then loses then they open a PayPal claim as well. As much as I am not a fan of eBay/PayPal I am dreading the thought of having to go through two claims processes. Then possibly not even getting my FVF back because I was right with eBay but wrong with PayPal. I am very uncomfortable with this split especially if eBay continues to favor PayPal as their recommended payment provider.

If we can use Amazon Payments, Google Wallet or other forms than I would feel more ok about the split. Right now I feel like bad things are going to happen to sellers across the board stealth or non-stealth.
The Following User Says Thank You to vogeltron For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-31-2015)
Old 05-10-2015
Threadstarter  

Default Re: The biggest change that will affect you during the ebay / paypal split

We will just have to see...but I am pretty sure ebay and paypal will still "share" this information and paypal may be able to see the ebay case. Of course, it still wont matter since even NOW paypal will side with the buyer even for non-ebay transactions. So is it really going to be that different? Probably not.
Old 05-10-2015

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 55%

Will this possibly also end the 21 day holds for accounts that haven't hit the 90 day mark?
Old 05-10-2015

Longevity: 53%

Sounds like a good thing
Old 05-10-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobrockz View Post
Will this possibly also end the 21 day holds for accounts that haven't hit the 90 day mark?
Might make it worse...I could see a longer hold implemented (hopefully not) - or other conditions
Old 05-10-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

I don't think they will take the holds beyond 21 days. I also don't see the claims process changing. Too many people would complain if buyers suddenly had TWO chances to win an appeal.

eBay, according to the agreement, cannot set up a new payment processing system for 5 years, although they COULD open themselves up to other payment options. I don't know if this will make much of a difference since buyers seem to be pretty well entrenched with PayPal.

I know that someone from Ioffer stated that they see this as a "very positive" event. I don't know if that means PayPal will be easier on those who sell at Ioffer or not. Personally, I have never had much use for their site. But I know that some people do. It all depends, I suppose, on what you are selling.
Old 05-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
eBay, according to the agreement, cannot set up a new payment processing system for 5 years, although they COULD open themselves up to other payment options. I don't know if this will make much of a difference since buyers seem to be pretty well entrenched with PayPal.
This is going to be big to see what exactly goes down
Old 05-11-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
As the holds are protective, then they will likely stay & be amended.
Old 05-11-2015
Threadstarter  

The holds will still be the same as always...21 days or when item shows delivered, 3 days after. Yes ebay and paypal are splitting....no its not the end of the world. They will still be in bed with each other, sharing the most intimate of knowledge. The new jargon states ebay will "recommend rather than request" when holds should be placed on funds, etc (ie: when a case is opened). You can expect that paypal will follow through with this "recommendation" since the two companies have had such a tight knit relationship. BUT it could also lead to no holds on your funds when cases are opened as well, but thats something to be seen when the time comes. One thing to note is that all the jargon does make very clear that ebay money back guarantee is its own thing and in no way tied to paypal. Does this mean that your paypal funds arent held when a buyer opens a case? No idea.
The Following User Says Thank You to wtfebay For This Useful Post:
lawe321 (05-31-2015)
Old 05-11-2015

Longevity: 78%

I am a little puzzled at the confusion, as are they not telling you that things will be the same as always and nothing but the terms used in the Terms and condition will be changing. Or why would they be changing the terms and conditions other than to fit in with the legal requirements to continue doing what they have been doing but now under the guise of separate entities.
Old 05-11-2015

Longevity: 64%

Quote:
There is no "90 day" magic. I have had accounts that money that holds were released in 60 days and had some go 180 when there was no real reason for it. I've learned it happens when it happens.
Old 05-11-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesshooze View Post
There is no "90 day" magic. I have had accounts that money that holds were released in 60 days and had some go 180 when there was no real reason for it. I've learned it happens when it happens.
The 90 days he refers to is when you become an "established seller" on ebay.
Old 05-17-2015

Longevity: 81%
Send a message via Skype™ to Christopher

they are asking me for a cc on ebay for reimbursement and wont allow paypal
Old 05-18-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
Thats a new one, as I just made an account yesterday and selected paypal as my reimbursement method.
Old 05-30-2015

Longevity: 60%

Nothing new here, when i get ebay limits my paypal never gets banned with it. The only ban or paypal is the ssn tax limit. This is just a poor move by ebay and paypal to grow sub companies with the 'STOLEN' money they got from paypal.
Old 05-30-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Screenshot time.
Old 05-30-2015

Longevity: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Screenshot time.
I had the same thing. I ended up using my paypal debit card instead lol
Old 05-31-2015

Longevity: 52%

speculation.com...
Old 05-31-2015

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

I very much doubt ebay and paypal will let go of their hands despite being two companies. simply because as a unit, their security measures are quite tough (not so much, but they are) - when acting individually, it may cause them to allow fraudsters to get through the net and cause chaos.

Alternatively, they may act in absolute solitude. BUT, expect there to be very very very tight measures to sign up and use either service.

End of the day, its a business and they want to minimise fraud/risk.
Old 09-28-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 51%

Quote:

Yes, this just happened to me the other day... I thought it was weird, or that it was a browser issue or maybe because of something expired or an issue on the PP side, or some other reason the drop down menu only gave the CC option to click on, but it wasn't. I tried again about 6 hours later, no difference. So as an experienced user, I can say with almost certainty that it's just random, it almost never happens. But when it DOES happen, I've found that you can use a prepaid visa to put on file. Most times Eb3y doesn't accept prepaid cc's, in this instance it worked for me.

Last edited by NewYork; 09-28-2015 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2015

What I would like to know, How is this going to affect Stealth Accounts?