eBay asking for previous address, can't verify anything at the one listed on account - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-14-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 52%
Default eBay asking for previous address, can't verify anything at the one listed on account

Hi all,

So about a week ago, I went through the general Stealth process, and created an eBay and PayPal account with all stealth data. My PayPal is 100% verified. I went through the procedure of looking and bidding at items for a bit. Today, I went to sell my first item and saw that my limits were at 0 items/ $0.00 in sales. It said it had to verify my identity, and gave me the option to Instant Verify. I did that, but it failed and it told me to call them.

So, I called and found out that there was no data about me at the address that I provided on my account. This account is under a random name, so there's no record of a person under that name living at that address. The rep told me to give him a previous address that I lived at, so I gave him an address of a house I lived at a long time back without any eBay info associated with it. He said he couldn't verify that one either.

I asked him what was making it not be able to verify, and he told me that it's based off of public mail data. So like, if there's mail going to that address with the name on the account on it, it should be verifiable. I don't know how true this is, given that I've opened past accounts with random names, and they were easily instantly verifiable. I asked if we could try another one, and he said it's locked out and the only time I can try again is in a week.

So, I can't sell anything for a week. The next time I try an address, should I just give him an address of a McDonald's or something and hope it works? Not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Longevity: 75%
Default Re: eBay asking for previous address, can't verify anything at the one listed on acco

They could be using public data bases but here is the thing, there are millions of people in the USA and many people live with families and such.
Everyones names are not usually posted on a mailbox, on a doorbell, etc.

It takes public records up to 6 MONTHS to get corrected in the data base and people move ALL the time.

Next time, get creative as to why they cannot verify you
Old 05-14-2015
Threadstarter  

Default Re: eBay asking for previous address, can't verify anything at the one listed on acco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCJ View Post
They could be using public data bases but here is the thing, there are millions of people in the USA and many people live with families and such.
Everyones names are not usually posted on a mailbox, on a doorbell, etc.

It takes public records up to 6 MONTHS to get corrected in the data base and people move ALL the time.

Next time, get creative as to why they cannot verify you
What do you mean? Do you have an example as to what I could say?
Old 05-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by allster101 View Post
Hi all,

So, I can't sell anything for a week. The next time I try an address, should I just give him an address of a McDonald's or something and hope it works? Not sure how to proceed from here.

Thanks!
ebay knows when you use the likes of McDonalds.

They are looking for info they can confirm. Think outside the box and provide it.

Old 05-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Quote:
What do you mean? Do you have an example as to what I could say?
If they ask questions from Public Database....and your not the person their asking the questions who they are based on.....then you basically can't even answer them at all, you have zero shot.
Old 05-14-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
ebay knows when you use the likes of McDonalds.

They are looking for info they can confirm. Think outside the box and provide it.

How can I provide info that they can confirm, when there's no record of a person by the name on the account ever living at that address?

Should I search up a random person with that name, find their address, and give that to them? So if the name on my account was John Smith, I'd Google "John Smith", find a random John Smith, get his address, and give that to them, saying that address was my previous residence. Would this work, or would they ask questions? Is it ok if the address I give is in a different state? This address probably won't go on my account, since it's just for verification. Maybe I could say I lived there when I was in college?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MM78 View Post
If they ask questions from Public Database....and your not the person their asking the questions who they are based on.....then you basically can't even answer them at all, you have zero shot.
But why can't they verify this specific address? I've made 1 stealth before this, and I was able to instantly verify that one, and I used a random name and a different address than I have on this one (obviously). Is it something with the address, or the name? I tried giving a different address also, and it didn't work either.
Old 05-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
But why can't they verify this specific address? I've made 1 stealth before this, and I was able to instantly verify that one, and I used a random name and a different address than I have on this one (obviously). Is it something with the address, or the name? I tried giving a different address also, and it didn't work either.
if you already made one stealth account, go over what you did and try again.

Make sure the address is accessible and you have access to its usage.

Old 05-14-2015
Threadstarter  

Success! I just called eBay again because I read about how I potentially could fax in some ID/utility bills to verify it. It's night right now, and I got a different rep. This rep was great: he asked me what I was trying to sell and where I was getting it from, and I told him. After about a 2 minute hold, he told me he's giving me a 25/$1250 limit to start with, and that I might be able to request even more from the Seller Dashboard. This rep was much more helpful than the first one I called. I guess the reps on the night shift don't care as much about verification, haha. This was a very pleasant surprise, was not expecting this. I was planning on asking about faxing in an ID or utility bills, but none of that was necessary. He just gave me a limit increase!

So, to all of you who got 0/0 accounts: try calling late (I called at 8:50 CST, so it was the night shift at their call center) and see if you can get anything from the reps on the night shift.

Thank you all for your help!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to allster101 For This Useful Post:
Bunneh (05-15-2015), GhostOfAmazon (05-15-2015), kittylove (05-15-2015), miketyson (05-15-2015), rsot (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

It is not just the night shift, sometimes you can get a terrible eBay rep during the day, then call back 30 minutes later and get a nice rep. While they cannot deviate from their standard procedures TOO MUCH, they DO have some discretion. That is why I am always so nice when I call it is disgusting!

Congrats!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
allster101 (05-15-2015), GhostOfAmazon (05-15-2015), kittylove (05-15-2015)
Old 05-14-2015

Longevity: 53%

It all depends on the rep. You could get some idiot who doesnt care, or somebody who goes by the eBay rule book. Just be as nice as possible and hope they can lift your limits. If not, oh well just make another account and try again.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickh04 For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Success! I just called eBay again because I read about how I potentially could fax in some ID/utility bills to verify it. It's night right now, and I got a different rep. This rep was great: he asked me what I was trying to sell and where I was getting it from, and I told him. After about a 2 minute hold, he told me he's giving me a 25/$1250 limit to start with, and that I might be able to request even more from the Seller Dashboard. This rep was much more helpful than the first one I called. I guess the reps on the night shift don't care as much about verification, haha. This was a very pleasant surprise, was not expecting this. I was planning on asking about faxing in an ID or utility bills, but none of that was necessary. He just gave me a limit increase!

So, to all of you who got 0/0 accounts: try calling late (I called at 8:50 CST, so it was the night shift at their call center) and see if you can get anything from the reps on the night shift.

Thank you all for your help!
Sorry it took me so long to get here allstar....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Calling to get limits increased works.

If one rep says no, thank them for their time, hang up, and call again. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get the desired result.

Here is a thread that discusses strategy in more detail:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...ng-limits.html

Last edited by GhostOfAmazon; 05-15-2015 at 03:38 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to GhostOfAmazon For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-15-2015)
Old 05-15-2015
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOfAmazon View Post
Sorry it took me so long to get here allstar....

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Calling to get limits increased works.

If one rep says no, thank them for their time, hang up, and call again. Wash, rinse, repeat until you get the desired result.

Here is a thread that discusses strategy in more detail:

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/ebay-di...ng-limits.html

Thank you for that thread! That was very helpful for the future.

I ended up calling 3 times that day. The first 2 calls were in succession of each other, about 10 minutes apart (I pretended like I got disconnected the first time around), so I got the same rep the first 2 calls. On the 3rd call, about 2 hours later, I got the nice rep that gave me the increase.
Old 05-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

3 times the lucky charm - good persistence
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
kittylove (05-15-2015)
Old 05-17-2015

Longevity: 55%

The problem is your automatic payment method for ebay fees
Old 05-17-2015

Longevity: 55%

Why is that a problem slicendice?, just leave enough funds in the account to cover fee's and any potential returns, that way paypal never needs to try to take money from a bank account. There is always plenty of warning when fee payment time is coming up, and so much extra for the odd return that might happen should always be left in the account.