What determines listing position? A little help please - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-17-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 64%
Default What determines listing position? A little help please

I have been selling the same sporting goods item for 4 years and since July sales have slowed to almost nothing and I have not changed anything. I did lower my price a week ago to help but nothing. I searched my listings today about 20 I have active and they are on page 6 of 7 and some have 3 days to go and other 12 hrs. They are also all grouped close together. My ratings are all above average. Any help is appreciated.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-17-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: What determines listing position? A little help please

The more activity you have on your page than the better Visibility you get and the more traffic.

The system they have in,place feeds off itself, activity leads to more activity, better traffic, more and more sales.

Once you become slow, you really need to shake things up because inactivity just will kill your listings, and if your sales are down they will continue to drop until your listings are not visible , if you just do nothing

Now it's important to always be changing and updating listings , fill in as much details , description that you can on each item, and always have multiple pictures, the more the better.

An incomplete listing with just a half fast description , one picture, and no details just won't work anymore.

But a full listing is not enough either.

I think there's a lot of posts mentioning underpriced items. And this is something I do and it seems many are as well. I'll always have items selling on an account and a certain amount of items I'll list at $1-$2 loss

Usually I'll purchase popular dollar store items and some other things and I'll list them for enough to be able to print a USPS first class Postage label.

The more listings you have up in my experience the better activity and in turn traffic and sales.

The items I basically give away give me more visibility, you can tell , slowly you start getting one sale than another and another, and every sale seems to increase your visibility and sales.

So I may take a loss on a lot of items but it's almost a must to keep my site active, I think of it as an advertising expense, and I make those expenses up on other items that I have high profit margins.

The important thing is never allow a slow account to be left alone and waiting for it to get busy, as soon as you feel a drop you need to revamp everything because as I mentioned inactivity breeds no listing visibility and no Sales.

This is some things I do to keep my accounts productive and keep sales going. Others may have different things that work for them. When they changed the system a couple years ago I noticed the difference right away.
But if you change your approach and play the game right you can keep your sales as good as they were In the past.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
EG6 (11-18-2015), GreenBean (11-18-2015), ilcarletto (11-18-2015), joesshooze (11-18-2015), Kristy (11-18-2015)
Old 11-17-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesshooze View Post
I have been selling the same sporting goods item for 4 years and since July sales have slowed to almost nothing and I have not changed anything.
This is happening to other sellers.

Nowdays a listing has to be like a piece pf bait and attract/entice buyers.

Cassini is the root of this evil.
Old 11-18-2015
MU

Longevity: 48%

this is great info I only paid attention to how long it takes for your listing to be live for BIN and Auctions
Old 11-18-2015
just_smile

Longevity: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post

Cassini is the root of this evil.
Couldn't agree more.

Dmsharks advice is sound. I Have found similar patterns.
Old 11-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by joj889 View Post
this is great info I only paid attention to how long it takes for your listing to be live for BIN and Auctions
IMO it's a lot more complex than whether you see your listing visible or not when you do a search.

I think that eBay is sectioned off somehow, whether it be by state, zone whatever. So when you do a search and you see your listing is visible, I really think that it is not visible to every eBay member and only visibility in certain sections, and the amount of sections your listing is visible is determined by some of the things I touched on my previous post.

So if it is broken down by states say, u could do a search and you could see your listing visible say in the state your in, but if you do the same search in a different state or sector, than your listing could possibly be either not listed, or pushed either further back in pages or forward.

I just don't think it becomes visible across the entire platform whether it be .com or .ca it takes work on your listings as an individual and all your listings and strategy of operation as a whole.

And also your feedback, and DSRs, defects, and everything plays into the system that determines what percentage of eBay users will see your listing
The Following User Says Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
ilcarletto (11-18-2015)
Old 11-18-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 64%

Thanks DM. What happens when a new seller comes to eBay that doesn't have our knowledge of ebay and begins to sell? Are those listings 5 pages deep in the que.
Old 11-18-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesshooze View Post
Thanks DM. What happens when a new seller comes to eBay that doesn't have our knowledge of ebay and begins to sell? Are those listings 5 pages deep in the que.
No, those listings are even deeper in the queue if the seller lacks rudimentary listings knowledge.

And here is where ebay entraps them more.

New sellers attempt to list in an incorrect category only to have their listings taken done.
Old 11-18-2015

Activity: 37%
Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
IMO it's a lot more complex than whether you see your listing visible or not when you do a search.

I think that eBay is sectioned off somehow, whether it be by state, zone whatever.
Around March I had sold two cashmere sweaters to the same person in Australia. He bought from two different accounts with two completely different descriptions.

There are 1000's of listings with the title "cashmere sweater" the fact he bought two of mine within 10 minutes of each other proves your "theory". I don't think we will ever know how the search engine gets generated. There could be some randomness to it but I know there has to be some method to the madness....

Good thread.
Old 11-18-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by solefoodbk View Post
Around March I had sold two cashmere sweaters to the same person in Australia. He bought from two different accounts with two completely different descriptions.

There are 1000's of listings with the title "cashmere sweater" the fact he bought two of mine within 10 minutes of each other proves your "theory". I don't think we will ever know how the search engine gets generated. There could be some randomness to it but I know there has to be some method to the madness....

Good thread.

Google Cassini, you will find a lot of useful information on the subject , it will explain in more detail how it works and what to do to increase search visibility.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dmshark25 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (11-19-2015), solefoodbk (11-21-2015)
Old 11-19-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Google Cassini, you will find a lot of useful information on the subject , it will explain in more detail how it works and what to do to increase search visibility.
We have to try to grasp Cassini.

To keep on top of our selling game, we need to be working Cassini.

Otherwise, flounder.

Old 11-19-2015

Longevity: 56%

whoever has sold the most/selling the fastest. They want every search to convert into a sale as often as possible so they'll send you to a high converting listing.

Not sure if it still works but with amazon there used to be a 'hack' for the search, if you search 'rolex watch' and 'rolex daytona watch' and click the first guy you can see the keywords you used to search come up at the end of the url, if you get sales by sending people to that url and they buy then it will count to them that someone has searched 1 of those terms in amazon and bought it rather than just clicked a url.
Links at bottom

WARNING AMAZON LINK

Rolex Daytona Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Mens Watch 116520: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

Rolex Daytona Oyster Perpetual Cosmograph Mens Watch 116520: Amazon.co.uk: Watches

Last edited by JamesNorth101; 11-19-2015 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2015

Activity: 37%
Longevity: 57%

Quote:
Just read a quick post from about money, going to read more tomorrow.

I think I've done good so far without reading about "cassini" but after reading some more I think I'll even be better. It makes sense so far what I've read. I've asked reps before and used some of their suggestions based off the fact that we both knew eBay obviously tailors the search (i.e cassini)