Why is Decline Refund Request not an option? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 05-16-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default Why is Decline Refund Request not an option?

I sold a wedding dress on ebay 2 weeks ago, listing clearly stated all the measurements and stated that I did not accept returns for sizing or fit. Now 2 weeks later I get a refund request:

The buyer requested a return.Please take action by May 19.
Info from the buyer
Reason
Doesn't fit

Comments
This cute. but it s not my size

Select a reply
Accept the return
The buyer pays for return shipping, and we'll provide them all the return details. Just wait to get the item back before you refund the buyer.

Refund the buyer
You fully refund the buyer to close this request. The buyer keeps the item.

Offer a partial refund
You have one chance to offer an amount. The buyer keeps the item.

Send a message
You can reply to the buyer.

Why is there no longer an option to decline the refund request? Also when did ebay start allowing "doesn't fit" as a valid return reason. Any idea how to proceed? I do not want to refund, it would be different if the measurements were not very clearly stated, also a link to the fit guide. Is there any hope that ebay will side with me?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-16-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%
Default Re: Why is Decline Refund Request not an option?

Are you a business seller? if you are then you are obliged to accept returns.

You say 2 weeks, I assume your listing had 14 days to return the item, so the buyer must of just made it in time.

If the buyer opens request within the period of time you offer returns, you dont have a right to decline their request.
Old 05-17-2016

Longevity: 49%

Just accept it,buyer needs to pay the shipping cost to send it back.Also when you refund,you have an option not to refund the original shipping cost,you will have nothing to lose.
Old 05-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,199 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%

You are unlikely to be able to win this one

It would be best to just have the buyer pay to return the item so that you can resell it

It sucks I know but that is the reality of selling on eBay these days
Old 05-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

ebay no longer gives a toss about well defined return policies.

You can state no returns until the cows come home but ebay will over-rule you.

Try to bargain with the buyer to move onwards....

Old 05-18-2016

Longevity: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
Are you a business seller? if you are then you are obliged to accept returns.

You say 2 weeks, I assume your listing had 14 days to return the item, so the buyer must of just made it in time.

If the buyer opens request within the period of time you offer returns, you dont have a right to decline their request.
this is interesting

so a business seller account vs a personal selling account handles returns differently?

I occasionally get a return request for "doesn't fit" and definitely have the option to deny the return request
Old 05-18-2016

Longevity: 46%

I had a similar problem. eBay automatically sides with the buyer, and you get a 'closed without seller resolution' case against you. In my case, only one wouldve been enough to drop below standard and blacklist my account. (295 yearly sales).

In my case, there were two burn marks clearly photographed, and zoomed in on two separate photos. The buyer waited 2 weeks and decided to return. eBay said after the fact... "how do we know there were ONLY two burn marks? There could be more, we do not know, we are not there to see" I said.... because they're right there, clearly zoomed in on photos 3 and 4. They said again well we can't verify that. In your case... I suspect they'll say... "how do we know your measurements are correct? We are not there, we do not have a measuring tape... you could have measured wrong. Your buyer could have measured from a different place on the dress" or some other complete BS.

However, I did go two years with zero returns at all until recently.. simply by stating clearly NO RETURNS, most buyers won't attempt to return. I then became top rated, started accepting returns, and it all went to hell.

Last edited by stressed08; 05-18-2016 at 11:46 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stressed08 For This Useful Post:
applepbc (05-19-2016), newjerseymax (05-19-2016)
Old 05-18-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepbc View Post
this is interesting

so a business seller account vs a personal selling account handles returns differently?

I occasionally get a return request for "doesn't fit" and definitely have the option to deny the return request
Hopefully a US user will chime in. But that is definitely a downside to upgrading to business account in the UK - 14 day returns become mandatory. Hence why people tend to stick to personal accounts.
Old 05-19-2016

I have a business account in the US and was able to remain return-free.... until I upgraded to 'Top rated plus' and it became required. So no.. I do not think you have to accept returns, at least not at this time.
Old 05-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

From the eb website:

Important: Even if you specify "no returns accepted," under the eBay Money Back Guarantee the buyer can still return an item if it doesn't match the listing description. Learn more about what the eBay Money Back Guarantee means to sellers.

Loophole still can be done regardless.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
Play (05-19-2016)
Old 05-19-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
From the eb website:

Important: Even if you specify "no returns accepted," under the eBay Money Back Guarantee the buyer can still return an item if it doesn't match the listing description. Learn more about what the eBay Money Back Guarantee means to sellers.

Loophole still can be done regardless.
Really and truly there is no such a thing as no returns on ebay. Hence why I never challenge it when requested by a buyer.
Old 05-19-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressed08 View Post

However, I did go two years with zero returns at all until recently.. simply by stating clearly NO RETURNS, most buyers won't attempt to return. I then became top rated, started accepting returns, and it all went to hell.
Haha I totally get the gist of this. However, the profit margin between accepting returns, sometimes with a loss, still exceeded the profit margin of no returns. Given one was less hassle, while the other was less profit. Then it becomes a personal decision on if you are willing to deal with it.

I like to have both. A huge advantage to stealth. Some accounts I have returns and others I do not, some I charge shipping and others do not, etc, etc...

I have noticed that by spreading out the way I make my accounts, with consistency within each account, I accumulate much more sales with Cassini messed up algorithms. Guarantees at one point or another your listing is visible...

In your situation you can always try work it out. Tell them no returns, however you are willing to discount a small portion towards getting it re-sized. If no go then take the return. Its only time lost if buyer pays for shipping. And eve then they might not return as most people are semi lazy.

My last resort is to let the buyer know what a great deal they got and try to sell it themselves, saving on return costs as they can make buyer pay for it.
This works maybe 5% of the time and depends on product.
Old 05-20-2016
Threadstarter  

Well after reading everyone's reply I went ahead and accepted the request, good news is the buyer is an asshole, she is refusing to send the dress back unless I pay the return shipping, even though it clearly states in the return instructions from ebay that the buyer is responsible for return shipping. She messaged and ask how I was going to pay her to ship it back and I told her I was not that she is responsible for return shipping. Her last Message from weds night:

Comment
You pay all shipping and no problems I send back soon

So I'm gonna just wait her out. She only has until the 24th to return the dress then hopefully I can ask ebay to close her return request, If I were a betting woman she is planning to or has already worn the dress for her wedding and now wants to return it. Sadly I have dealt with this before with formal wear.
The Following User Says Thank You to acreech41311 For This Useful Post:
Play (05-20-2016)
Old 05-20-2016

Longevity: 48%

she sure sounds trashy

I run into this all the time. Stubborn customers think you will refund them and they'll just keep the item.

They never end up returning the merchandise because they had no intention of sending it back.

People suck
Old 05-20-2016

This is why I'm no longer accepting returns... idk who these buyers think they are expecting sellers to pay to ship their item, and pay again to ship it back. Recently on a $29 item, I paid $11.50 to ship, and had to pay $11.50 additional return shipping. insane ebay allows this.
Old 05-20-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,937 Times in 8,228 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by applepbc View Post
she sure sounds trashy

I run into this all the time. Stubborn customers think you will refund them and they'll just keep the item.

They never end up returning the merchandise because they had no intention of sending it back.

People suck
Then don't sell :(
Old 05-20-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Then don't sell :(
Agreed. Or atleast accept that this is part of business. Every business where you have customers, you will have some who are con artists.