comcast/xfinity modem issue - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 07-21-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default comcast/xfinity modem issue

Okay, so this morning i had to go to comcast to replace my modem since the one i have been using for past 3 or so years just started getting really buggy. It just all together stopped working this morning. So got a new 1 came home and hooked it up. Now for 2 of my stealths i have always manually changed the IP's by unplugging router and what not. Problem is no matter what i change my mac address to now i can't get the IP address to change with the new modem.

After searching on here i believe i got one of those comcast "all in one modems" and that could be the problem. How should i go about fixing this so i can get my IP to change. I already have a seperate router that i use for just stealth. Should i just go into best buy or target and buy another "modem only"? Would that fix this issue? Apologies for all the questions. But would greatly appreciate any insight. Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: comcast/xfinity modem issue

I use Comcast and I've never been able to get my IP to change. I was always under the impression Comcast just uses Static IP's. I have the router/modem combo as well though so maybe that's my problem.

If you think the router/modem combo is the issue, just buy a "modem only" off of Ebay. It would be like 1/5 the price of going to Best Buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Play (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
I use Comcast and I've never been able to get my IP to change. I was always under the impression Comcast just uses Static IP's. I have the router/modem combo as well though so maybe that's my problem.

If you think the router/modem combo is the issue, just buy a "modem only" off of Ebay. It would be like 1/5 the price of going to Best Buy.
Oh really? I've had comcast for the past 4-5 years and been doing stealth (albeit slowly) for the past 3 or so. Up until now i have always had to use my own routers with the modem they provided me with. And up until now all i had to do was change my mac address and i would get a new IP for 2 of my accounts which happen to be my oldest accounts of about 3 years.

For my other 12 accounts i just use 24vc. I guess that could be another question. Should i just buy 2 more 24vc VPN's to hook up to those old accounts? Instead of buying a new modem at best buy.

And yeah i would buy it off of ebay to save a couple bucks but i have things selling on those accounts currently and really don't want to wait until a new modem is delivered. I don't mind spending money for the safest way to do things ya know. Appreciate your reply friend
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Also, I'm not sure if that is indeed the issue that's why i was asking advice haha. Just seems like it is since as soon as i got a new modem and then bang i can't change my IP's.
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I think it definitely has to do with the combo thing. The ONLY way I've ever been able to change my comcast IP was by changing the modem/router from "gateway" mode to "bridged" mode. In bridged mode the modem acts only as a modem and not as a router, which gives you the ability to hook your own router up to the combo thing.

I've only been with Comcast for about 1.5 years and at the time I signed up, the router/modem is just what they were leasing. I think all ISP's are slowly making the transition with Wifi being so popular these days.

You could try logging into the modem with the default username/password and switching it to bridged mode. I'm almost certain that will give you a new IP, but you'll also lose your wifi unless you hook up your own router.

Other than that, you would have to pursue other options for changing your IP. I'm in the same boat as you regarding 24vc. I have 8 subscriptions with them and I run one account off my home IP. There's nothing wrong with VPN's IMO, but you might as well use whatever IP's you can get from Comcast also. No need to go out and buy new IP's if you can get them for free, ya know?
johnnyreed22 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I think it definitely has to do with the combo thing. The ONLY way I've ever been able to change my comcast IP was by changing the modem/router from "gateway" mode to "bridged" mode. In bridged mode the modem acts only as a modem and not as a router, which gives you the ability to hook your own router up to the combo thing.

I've only been with Comcast for about 1.5 years and at the time I signed up, the router/modem is just what they were leasing. I think all ISP's are slowly making the transition with Wifi being so popular these days.

You could try logging into the modem with the default username/password and switching it to bridged mode. I'm almost certain that will give you a new IP, but you'll also lose your wifi unless you hook up your own router.

Other than that, you would have to pursue other options for changing your IP. I'm in the same boat as you regarding 24vc. I have 8 subscriptions with them and I run one account off my home IP. There's nothing wrong with VPN's IMO, but you might as well use whatever IP's you can get from Comcast also. No need to go out and buy new IP's if you can get them for free, ya know?
Oh wow, really? bridged mode? That is exactly the answer i was looking for friend. I have always shut off my wireless and connect to my own router just out of paranoia of accidentally picking up a wireless signal lol. So that is no problem for me to lose wireless while i work on stealth.

Can i just change it back to gateway? whenever i have finished logging into all of my accounts? And then just change it back to bridged mode whenever i log in the next morning to work? Is it okay to do this on the daily?

Nice to hear someone has the same logic as i had haha. I figured these 2 Ip's from comcast have stayed the same for me the past year or so just as long as i log in daily and use the same mac. So why not use them instead of dropping more money on VPN's. But if i had to get 2 new vpn's for me to keep these accounts running smoothly i would.

Thank you again for your answers/help bud.
Old 07-21-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Quote:

I would agree with this as well, and agree with your solution, spot on.

Across the pond I had a similar situation where my ISP sent me a router/modem combo which had a sticky static IP that refused to change. I reverted back to my faulty modem with a separate router, and all my IP issues we're resolved.
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Come to think of it is that a dumb question to ask? to keep changing back and forth from gateway to bridged? I have multiple routers here at my house. I usually use a cheap $10 netgear one for all things stealth for the past 2-3 years. And i recently bought myself a nighthawk one that hook up when i shut down my stealth computer. I hope i worded that correctly and that it makes sense.

I guess the question i am asking is can i just change it to bridged and just keep using my 2 separate routers the same as i have been for the past however long now. 1 router for stealth and 1 router for everything else.
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

That wouldn't cause any problems I can think of. Comcast doesn't care if you use your own router.

It's worth mentioning though that a router will only change your private IP on your local network. To actually get a new public IP from Comcast you will have to switch out modems, or do the mac address change thing.

Do you know what I mean?

One option would be to use the IP you are given in bridged mode for an account, and use the IP you are given in gateway mode for another account.
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Play View Post
I would agree with this as well, and agree with your solution, spot on.

Across the pond I had a similar situation where my ISP sent me a router/modem combo which had a sticky static IP that refused to change. I reverted back to my faulty modem with a separate router, and all my IP issues we're resolved.
Just to be clear you believe if i purchase another " modem only) and hook it up with a separate router it should solve the issue of my IP's not changing? Just want to have all my options laid out and choose the best one before even considering logging into my ebay accounts. Don't want to risk any linkage haha
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

You only need one router, regardless.

Routers will not change your public IP. To find your public IP you need to check from within your browser, not in your local network settings on your computer.
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
That wouldn't cause any problems I can think of. Comcast doesn't care if you use your own router.

It's worth mentioning though that a router will only change your private IP on your local network. To actually get a new public IP from Comcast you will have to switch out modems, or do the mac address change thing.

Do you know what I mean?

One option would be to use the IP you are given in bridged mode for an account, and use the IP you are given in gateway mode for another account.
Just to add on to that, another option would be using multiple modems. Use modem A with your router while working on one account, then use modem B with your router while working on the next account.
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Do you know what I mean?

I believe i understand. probably at 87% haha. Up until 24vc came out i was always getting my IP's to change by changing my MAC ADDRESS'S. So for the first year or so plus thats what i did and knock on wood never lost an account while doing that. From what i gather is you are saying as long as i change it to bridged mode. I could go about business the same way as before just as long as my IP's don't match up to a previous IP ( yes i've logged all changes in IP's for the past 2-3 years). Correct?

I may give this a try here shortly just to see if i can get Fresh IP's by changing to bridged mode. Like you said i shouldn't have to switch it back to gateway if im already hooking it up to 2 separate routers anyways.

Then again you kinda make me think i should just be super safe and buy another modem haha. I'm going to be paranoid about whatever decision i make obviously.
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:

Routers will not change your public IP. To find your public IP you need to check from within your browser, not in your local network settings on your computer.
slightly confused but that's my fault haha, I kinda understand but i always like to be clear. So heres what i was doing previously for 2 accounts for which i cannot get my IP to change now.

1. log into separate user account on my eBay Stealth computer
2. log into the router i believe by doing the admin/password
3. change the mac address to a mac address that i have never used
4. log out of that user account and into the user account that i want to get into.
5. go to IP burger and make sure IP has not been used.

Is that what you are saying i can do if i go into my modem and change it to bridged mode? Apologies for me being just dumb with all things technology sometimes friend
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:

And i just use a separate router so i can have all things different when i do eBay Stealth. I bought a separate laptop that i use only for stealth. I use a separate router for the same reason. I thought it would help apparently not haha
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Yes, you are right. You don't need to be paranoid. IP really isn't all that important.

As long as you're checking your IP on IPBurger or another website after doing whatever you do to change your IP, then you are fine.

Extra routers aren't necessarily needed but it certainly doesn't hurt to be extra careful.

Switch your router/modem combo to bridged mode when you get a chance, then try doing things the way you always have and report back.
johnnyreed22 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Yes, you are right. You don't need to be paranoid. IP really isn't all that important.

As long as you're checking your IP on IPBurger or another website after doing whatever you do to change your IP, then you are fine.

Extra routers aren't necessarily needed but it certainly doesn't hurt to be extra careful.

Switch your router/modem combo to bridged mode when you get a chance, then try doing things the way you always have and report back.
haha okay will do friend...First thing i do on every user account when hooking it up is to make IPBurger the home page lol. thank you for the assistance

Is logging into the modem and changing it to bridged mode fairly easy? I'm going to do a google search here as well to see if there is a guide. Just figured i would ask. Thanks again
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

nevermind found a tutorial....thanks again
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Yeah it's super simple anyway. It's on the home page once you're logged into your modem.
Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,109 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Just to add to the already great advice. If you get a modem only off ebay or where ever you can get a new IP by spoofing the mac address or plugging in another router.

When I had people work at my home office a couple years ago I purchased 50 cheap natgear routers off ebay and had the staff swap routers. The cool thing is that your router usually pulls the same IP for a few weeks to a couple months even. So I would mark a router Account 1, another account 2 etc...
Old 07-22-2016
Threadstarter  

okay an update from earlier:

So tried hooking up the same stealth router i have been using for the past 2 years to the new comcast modem i got today. For some reason my stealth ebay computer would not recognize the router when i tried this. Not exactly sure why but i figured it had something to do with the new modem.

So i went a purchased a small $50 netgear modem only from best buy because i want to get this resolved without having to wait for a cheaper modem to be delivered to me. Anyways, i hooked this router up to the stealth computer and the stealth router by logging into comcast and follwing the prompts and it worked. In fact as soon as i put in the MAC addresses's that i have been using for atleast the past 9 months. The ip's matched up to the ip's from the day before ip. I was ecstatic and super happy thinking with the help of you guys i figured out this issue.

Now a new issue somewhat. I shut down the eBay Stealth computer, router and new ebay modem. I plugged in the new comcast modem i picked up earlier in the day and plugged it into my seperate router ( not my ebay one). went to log onto my ipad and it said i have to connect this modem again.

I guess my question is does comcast allow you to have 2 modems in a household? I mean i will only ever use 1 at a time. 1 strictly for eBay Stealth and then 1 for everything else. And if so am i going to have to go thru activating the modems each time i switch them? I apologize for this long winded message
Old 07-22-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Yeah it's super simple anyway. It's on the home page once you're logged into your modem.
Forgot to also say that i did switch this modem from gateway to bridged. Luckily it works with my netgear nighthawk router which i use for most of the day and everyday use. Unfortunately i could not figure how to get it to work with my other cheap router that i use for ebay stealth