Open a European Ebay - need some shipping 'lay of the land' - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-01-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 44%
Default Open a European Ebay - need some shipping 'lay of the land'

Hey everyone,

So I have a friend in a northern but still continental European country. We're going to partner and expand my operations there. I have a substantial enough body of Euro orders to warrant a base of operations. And he's a fresh user, its a perfect situation for me. We'll set it up legally using his company.

With this established, here is my query:

In the US a standard label costs about $2.60 for up to 8 ounces to all US states.

How does this work in Europe across different countries? Is there a standard shipping label that works for EU countries? If so/not, what is the lay of the land when it comes to shipping costs?

Maybe doing the wrong searches, but not finding not much info on this.

Thanks everyone
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-02-2016

Longevity: 45%
Default Re: Open a European Ebay - need some shipping 'lay of the land'

Quote:
Originally Posted by idds View Post
Hey everyone,

So I have a friend in a northern but still continental European country. We're going to partner and expand my operations there. I have a substantial enough body of Euro orders to warrant a base of operations. And he's a fresh user, its a perfect situation for me. We'll set it up legally using his company.

With this established, here is my query:

In the US a standard label costs about $2.60 for up to 8 ounces to all US states.

How does this work in Europe across different countries? Is there a standard shipping label that works for EU countries? If so/not, what is the lay of the land when it comes to shipping costs?

Thanks everyone
shipping between EU countries is not the same like shipping between states, each country has their own national postal services and they have different pricing.
Old 09-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 31%
Longevity: 63%

Quote:

Thanks everyone
Each country has their own postal services. While they all work together there is no uniform pricing structure.

Its also important to note that a country can be classed as European but be outside the single market which means buyers could face import charges if your items are being shipped from a non single market country.
Old 09-02-2016
Threadstarter  

The initial goal is to ship from within the single market. Otherwise, there is no benefit ordering from the EU based entity.

So if there is no uniform pricing structure, from a continental country to another such country in the common market, what is a typical range for, lets say, a 4 oz package from one country to another using EUs equivalent of First Class mail?

Secondly, is there an EU shipping tool like shipstation and prepaid postage, etc? A bit of searching yields very little.
Old 09-02-2016

Longevity: 60%

I can tell you that from my country sending by national post office which is cheapest,4 oz cost around 3,5 euro to any country in Europe but if you want to send by ups ,dhl.fedex it in much more expencive.
Old 09-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
The initial goal is to ship from within the single market. Otherwise, there is no benefit ordering from the EU based entity.

So if there is no uniform pricing structure, from a continental country to another such country in the common market, what is a typical range for, lets say, a 4 oz package from one country to another using EUs equivalent of First Class mail?

Secondly, is there an EU shipping tool like shipstation and prepaid postage, etc? A bit of searching yields very little.
That is really the sort of research you would need to spend a few hours doing. There are 32 countries in total that are part of the single market so comparing the cost of each countries would be time pretty well spent.

I would advise against using the UK as a base of operations though long term since we will be leaving the EU. We also have pretty high postal charges V some of the EU

Its also worth noting that we use grams here, not OZ. The size of the package also matters as its not based on just weight.
Old 09-02-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seduction View Post
I can tell you that from my country sending by national post office which is cheapest,4 oz cost around 3,5 euro to any country in Europe but if you want to send by ups ,dhl.fedex it in much more expencive.
Thank you. I will not be using ups, etc unless specifically asked by a customer.

Most shipping will be by national postal service.

This is more than we pay in the US, but I suppose they are technically foreign countries.
Old 09-02-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
That is really the sort of research you would need to spend a few hours doing. There are 32 countries in total that are part of the single market so comparing the cost of each countries would be time pretty well spent.

I would advise against using the UK as a base of operations though long term since we will be leaving the EU. We also have pretty high postal charges V some of the EU

Its also worth noting that we use grams here, not OZ. The size of the package also matters as its not based on just weight.
No, definitely not the UK. The EU separation is part of it, but my partner is based somewhere else already. And you do have high postal costs, and the reliability is a concern... I saw that documentary about the RM, eek.

Size of the packages are small, generally. Perhaps a 5x7 inch envelope in most instances.
Old 09-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thickness of the package is also pretty important
Old 09-02-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Thickness of the package is also pretty important
1 to 2" thick for 80% of them
Old 09-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Need to go to the national postal service of each country you want to try then and tap those details in and then compare the results
Old 09-02-2016
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Need to go to the national postal service of each country you want to try then and tap those details in and then compare the results
Ok, that's time consuming but so it is.

What about a tool like ShipStation for Europe?
Old 09-02-2016
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Ok, that's time consuming but so it is.
It would be yes, but I am afraid no one is going to do that kinda of research for you and if you want the best answer then that is the type of research you would need to undertake
Old 09-02-2016
Threadstarter  

Thanks.

And my last inquiry, hopefully someone knows. Is there a European shipping tool like shipstation out there?