need for my half.com money - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 10-17-2013

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 70%
Default need for my half.com money

hi folks,
need help for my half.com money,
any help will be appreciated.

to make long story short,
i made some money on half.com
BUT f#cking half.com escheated my fund to my local state,
saying that contact my local state after 1 year.
however,
after 1 year,
i still see no signs of money on my local state.

what should i do now?
please advice.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 10-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%
Default Re: need for my half.com money

You would have to contact whatever department in your state that handles unclaimed property. The problem is, if this is a stealth account, you will have to prove the stealth identity to the state, which is nearly impossible.
Old 10-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

This question is beyond the scope of the forum - go seek professional LAW and ESTATE advice...lawyer, notary, etc.

Best of luck.

Welcome to the forums - for future accounts, learn about stealth
Old 11-03-2014

Longevity: 54%

Did you ever get paid?? If so, how?

Please assist.

Thanks
Old 11-04-2014
Executive [VIP]

I don't believe that the OP has been on the forums for a long time.

Was your money escheated to the state?

What happens with Half, if they suspect that an account is using a ⊗⊗⊗⊗ identity, or if they simply cannot verify you and your account is closed, they hand the money over to the state the account is located in and they give them the details they have. The state then treats it as unclaimed money. To claim the money from the state, you would have to prove identity, which cannot really be done on a stealth account.

There is no way that I know of to get your money back if this happened. There COULD be a way, but that would require professional legal advice from an attorney.

Sorry I couldn't offer you a happier scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
anthonyb123 (11-06-2014)
Old 11-06-2014

Yes they claim they are "escheating" my money to the state of MN. It is not a stealth account, it is in my name.

It is quite a lot of money, around $5700. They claim I receive a letter in the mail from "local state authorities at some point in 2015."

I am a bit worried. Think I should hire an attorney or just be patient and wait?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 11-07-2014
Executive [VIP]

Actually, this is GOOD NEWS. If the account is in your name then you should contact the agency in your state that handles unclaimed money. They will be able to confirm they have received the money and give you a claim form to fill out. Once they verify your identity, it is usually pretty quick that you will get your money.
anthonyb123 (01-02-2015)
Old 11-07-2014

Thanks for the encouraging news!

The problem is I emailed them on FB to request money and they said and quote

"Per your previous contact with Half.com, funds will be escheated to the state of registration. This will take place in 2015. You should be able to contact your Minnesota State Commerce Department after November of 2015 to retrieve those funds."

Does this seem fishy/sketchy? The amount of wait time seems astronomical. November of 2015??? What the heck.

In my Emails' with the Half.com Safety team they said "at some point in 2015", NOT "after November 2015."

Please let me know what you think as I may be getting the run-around/being misled.
Old 11-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Could someone have mistakenly used the date 2015 instead of 2014?

I am not an expert on how this process works, but it does not seem reasonable they would hold the funds for a year before turning them over to the state. If they made the decision to do so, I should think it would happen immediately, or at least within a reasonable time frame.

Does anyone know more about how this works?
anthonyb123 (01-02-2015)
Old 11-18-2014

Did you think of any advice on this situation?? think it's too early to hire an attorney to help me collect the funds?

Please let me now.

Thanks
Old 11-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

anthonyb123

Have you done a search to see if the State is holding funds?

Hiring an attorney will eat into those funds.

Majority of States have unclaimed funds webs that are usable for free. Minnesota is one such State.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
anthonyb123 (01-02-2015)
Old 11-26-2014

Hello and thanks again for the help.

Upon asking them on Facebook this is the reply I received.

"Hello Anthony,
The escheatment process takes place once a year. So anything set for escheatment up until February 28, 2015 will be escheated at the end of that year. Check with your state Commerce or Comptroller after November 1, 2015."

Do you guys think I should just wait until November of next year to try to get the funds or do you think an attorney is necessary?

I WANT to believe them, but the whole situation seems sketchy and illegal for them to hold my funds for one year.

For instance, what if I want until then and they still do NOT escheat the money?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Old 11-26-2014
Executive [VIP]

I'm sure the money WILL be escheated, if that is what they told you. It seems like the state of Minnesota has some very specific rules regarding escheatment. If you want the money sooner, you should probably speak with an attorney.

The only other thing I could think of, since this IS in your name, would be to call Half.com and offer to give them a copy of your driver's license. I'm not sure WHY they would use the escheatment process if they could verify your identity, unless they are using it as a legal way to punish you.
anthonyb123 (01-02-2015)
Old 12-08-2014

Thanks for the help guys. I keep asking them to confirm the release date and to clarify the situation and I am getting no response.

I am getting impatient such it is a large amount of money :( Almost $6,000 USD

I feel they are trying to steal this money from me.

Any other suggestions guys or do you think it's attorney time?
Old 12-08-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyb123 View Post
Any other suggestions guys or do you think it's attorney time?
Write a letter to half.com with a copy to the State involved that you want confirmed details of release of escheated funds within 21 days. State you will supply any needed ID and also state that failure to provide this will mean legal action.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
anthonyb123 (01-02-2015)
Old 01-02-2015

I filed a complaint with the BBB and this was their response.
"Thank you for the opportunity to address your BBB complaint today. I am sorry to hear you have not yet received your funds after multiple contacts with eBay and Half.com customer support. It is especially upsetting considering it is a large amount of money. I would be happy to assist you further.

After thorough review of your account and the conversations with our support teams, I can confirm the correct information has been provided. Due to your eBay and Half.com account suspensions, your funds have been escheated to the state of Minnesota.
Based on this information, we will not be able to release your $5571.98 within 30 days as you've requested. As previously indicated this process occurs annually, therefore the funds should be available mid to late 2015.

If you would like to find more information regarding the escheatment process, you may contact the Minnesota Department of Commerce Unclaimed Property Division. I have found the following information on their site:
To check on the status of your claim, you may email the Minnesota Department of Commerce at unclaimed.property@state.mn.us, or by calling 651-539-1545 from 8:00 AM - 4:30 PM, Monday - Friday (Unclaimed Property).

Please keep in mind since this process only takes place annually it is possible they will not have information regarding your escheatment until mid to late 2015.

I understand that you are now considering moving forward with legal filings regarding your concerns. Please be aware as I am not an attorney, I cannot provide you with any legal advice. However, should you choose to pursue this channel, you will need to follow through the appropriate process.
You may find additional information regarding Legal Disputes under our User Agreement: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...ent.html?rt=nc

We appreciate you bringing your concerns to our attention for further review. I acknowledge this is not the resolution you were seeking but we must operate within our policies and procedures equally for all members in the eBay Marketplace. Thank you for your understanding and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

Regards,

eBay Office of the President"

How do you think I should proceed from here? Do you think they are sincere or should I be worried?

Thank you very much for your help!
Old 01-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyb123 View Post

How do you think I should proceed from here? Do you think they are sincere or should I be worried?

Thank you very much for your help!
Further action will cost.

Go with the BBB.

I know it's gone on far too long but patience will be needed.
Old 01-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

This is their way of telling you their decision is final. They added a line about following their procedures for legal action, which MAY have to be followed. An attorney would have to determine that. Because eBay probably has a clause in the user agreement that says you agree not to sue them, that disputes are to be settled through arbitration. Maybe they can enforce that and maybe they can't. You would have to speak with a lawyer to find out.

I have no idea about the law in this area, but I was unaware the escheatment process could be used unless one of the parties to the transaction could not be identified or located. It MAY be legal, but I don't know. It would certainly be a good way to screw someone over when you are holding their funds and are having a dispute with them.

But the bottom line is that your money is on vacation until late 2015, unless you hire an attorney to press the case. But it does not look like they are going to back down. Of course, if you DO get an attorney and the attorney sends a letter that COULD change. But there are no guarantees. And you may not be able to find an attorney willing to take this case on a contingency basis - usually, they will only do that when they feel there is a VERY good chance of winning. But it wouldn't hurt to TALK to a lawyer and see what they say.
Old 01-02-2015
Executive [VIP]

Keep in mind that *I* personally think this is a TERRIBLE ABUSE of the escheatment laws. They are supposed to apply to unclaimed or abandoned funds. It was never designed to be used as a business tool to punish a counterparty by depriving them of the timely distribution of their funds. But what *I* think does not matter. It is all about what the law allows.

And there IS a history of using it when funds were obtained illegally, in the commission of a crime. So, if you were selling counterfeit merchandise, they may be within their legal rights to escheat the funds. If that is the case, I would talk to a lawyer before trying to claim the funds, regardless if you end up suing eBay or not.

Last edited by jeffweico; 01-02-2015 at 09:36 PM.
YvlEye (01-02-2015)
Old 04-20-2015

Hello,

First of all I would like to say thank you so much for the help. I have read all your responses and I think you have helpful

Second, I would like to inform you as of 4-20-15 I have NOT received the funds nor has the state. They have held my money since SEP2014.

I would like to know what you recommend. (essentially is it too early for an attorney or what are my other options?)

Any help would be appreciated. I will seriously pay someone like $1000 to help me haha (no joke). I am so many about this entire situation and I believe what they are doing is not only unethical to hold $5,700 from me, but also illegal.

Thank you again!

Anthony
Old 04-20-2015
Executive [VIP]

I wouldn't make that offer HERE. If you are willing to give someone $1,000, give it to an attorney who can better help you with this.

From the previous posts, it seems like a record of the money may not YET be on file with the state of Minnesota.

You can probably go to their website for unclaimed funds to see if your name is listed. You could also call an attorney in your area to explain your situation. They shouldn't charge you for a quick phone consultation (at least they usually don't) and they could advise you of what your legal options are.

Lastly, if you were either actually selling counterfeits, or were accused of selling counterfeits, you may want to speak with an attorney before trying to claim the money anyways. There could be other legal matters to deal with if this is the case. Keep in mind that just because eBay/Half/Amazon/Paypal receives a COMPLAINT that an item was counterfeit does not mean that it actually WAS a counterfeit and many honest sellers have had eBay accounts closed for this reason, even though they were selling legitimate merchandise.