Speed of VMware vs changing user accounts, experiences? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Auction Listing > EBay Tools and Software

EBay Tools and Software General discussions on eBay tools & software, Auctiva, Turbo Lister, InkFrog, ShipStation and more.

Old 01-01-2016
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 61%
Default Speed of VMware vs changing user accounts, experiences?

Just wondering which do you guys think is faster? I have a cheap celeron processer running windows 8.1, have to say it's pretty fast compared to my expectations. It's a new computer so I guess new celeron would still be fast, standard hard drive, no ssd.

Between changing user accts, fire up my excel sheets, opening Firefox, logging ip and printing that label, I'd say it takes me 3-4 minutes.

I'm thinking is VMware faster? Seen it in action but never used it. Let's say I get an i7 latest, ssd 256gb, maybe a standard USB hard drive because I need the extra space for all those accts I want to install. I fire up VMware and save the state to right where the cursor is on the browser address, how long does it take for u guys to close one VMware, open the next one, assuming your ip has changed already, and start printing again? Is it a lot faster? Or is it just simply faster to switch user accts and print when u upgrade to the i7 and ssd? Any thoughts would help, thx
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-01-2016
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 53%
Default Re: Speed of VMware vs changing user accounts, experiences?

if you have multiple VM's that you can open/keep active at the same time(Based on your RAM, if I'm not mistaken) then its clearly faster than switching between accounts. If you have an old booboo laptop/PC that can't handle multiple accounts, then its clearly slower.

If you have multiple VM's set up, then printing a label is instant- You don't need to do anything, as the machines are already live and active. If you switch users, then clearly thats the time that it takes to print the label.

Quote:
close one VMware, open the next one, assuming your ip has changed already, and start printing again?
Pretty sure each VM has an IP assigned to it, so it always stays with it, stays active and you don't need to "change" anything.
Once you set up your VM, its there- You just switch it on, or keep it on.
The Following User Says Thank You to Haidukken For This Useful Post:
glacier922 (01-01-2016)
Old 01-01-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post

Pretty sure each VM has an IP assigned to it, so it always stays with it, stays active and you don't need to "change" anything.
Once you set up your VM, its there- You just switch it on, or keep it on.
That's not always the case. Some choose to have their VM share the host's IP, then connect to VPN/dongle/whatever on host. In my opinion it is easier and safer to configure VPN access within each VM, which is what I do.

@OP Using VM's is considerably faster no matter what platform you are running them on. I like to power on the next VM as I am working on my first VM for the day. That way when I get done with the first account, all I have to do click on the next VM, connect VPN, and I'm ready to go. Takes about 10 seconds.

I wouldn't recommend "suspending" your VM's. It takes a lot longer to "resume" a VM than it does to "Power On" one. I recommend turning each VM off when you are done, and follow my recommendation above for speedy transitions between accounts.
Old 01-01-2016
Banned

Longevity: 52%

VMware is an indespensable tool. It makes browsing multiple accounts a breeze.
Old 01-01-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 5%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by empirestate View Post
VMware is an indespensable tool. It makes browsing multiple accounts a breeze.
Yes it does.
Old 01-01-2016
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haidukken View Post
if you have multiple VM's that you can open/keep active at the same time(Based on your RAM, if I'm not mistaken) then its clearly faster than switching between accounts. If you have an old booboo laptop/PC that can't handle multiple accounts, then its clearly slower.

If you have multiple VM's set up, then printing a label is instant- You don't need to do anything, as the machines are already live and active. If you switch users, then clearly thats the time that it takes to print the
When you say multiple vm setup, you mean ones with saved states is that correct? Also how much ram do u use? I'll try of course to look for one with 16gb