Getting new IP addresses from two different locations. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 08-23-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 62%
Default Getting new IP addresses from two different locations.

Okay so I am running the stealth account operation with a business partner and because there are two people running the show we are operating from two different locations (his house and mine).

We both have Verizon Fios. I reset my IP from my house by going into the fios router settings and releasing the ip, then unplugging the router, waiting a bit, plugging back in and bam new IP.

However, I keep a log of all IPs and under which accounts I used to log into them. So far we have only changed IPs at my house -- we have not at my business partner's house.

NOW, I was wondering: since we both have Fios and live 8 blocks away from each other, do you think that if he changed IP using the same method I used, the chances of him getting an IP that was already given to me is quite likely?? -- Thus resulting in linked accounts??

If he wants to use the stealth accounts at his house, what is the best bet for him in regards to IP address? He is not that computer savvy, so something where he can just log on and get a new IP every time without the risk of him being assigned an IP I was already assigned would be the best bet. Going through the process of releasing the IP and keeping a log is too much for him lol.

Any of you have to deal with a similar situation? Suggestions?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-24-2013

Longevity: 65%
Send a message via Skype™ to AuctionsDenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodeal View Post

If he wants to use the stealth accounts at his house, what is the best bet for him in regards to IP address? He is not that computer savvy, so something where he can just log on and get a new IP every time without the risk of him being assigned an IP I was already assigned would be the best bet.
First of all if you guys are partnering up, you shouldn't be accessing the same accounts from the different locations. You will just end up stepping over each other.
Split up your accounts so they are manageable between you two.
Quote:
Going through the process of releasing the IP and keeping a log is too much for him lol.

Any of you have to deal with a similar situation? Suggestions?
Honestly, if you cannot get your partner to learn how to change IP's, you will run into trouble. You need to train him on how to do it. Draw a picture, make a list, have him watch you tube videos.

If he cannot change an IP and log it....find another partner
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

yes you are right he needs to learn.

so let's say he does learn and we split up the accounts between the two of us... what are the chances of our us incidentally being assigned the same IP address
Old 08-24-2013

Quote:

so let's say he does learn and we split up the accounts between the two of us... what are the chances of our us incidentally being assigned the same IP address
It would all depend on the range of IP's supplied through your provider/

Looking at my spread sheet. I have had recycled IP's as soon as 5 days and as long as 6 months where I have recycled an IP.
There is always the possibility.

You can probably treat your business one of two ways.

1. email each other the IP's and keep track of the ones being used.

2. treat them as two separate businesses, imagine you are running stealth and your next door neighbor is running stealth. You do not know what IP's that person is running. If down the line you get a notice to call. It is all about plausible deniability.
The Following User Says Thank You to AuctionsDenied For This Useful Post:
nodeal (08-24-2013)
Old 08-24-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Understood.

And if we do happen to get IPs that are the same , it is my understanding that this is not the end of the world, correct? They typically look for IP PLUS cookies to link accounts?

And on the topic of cookies, will ebay/paypal have an issue with the same account is being logged on from two different computers with two different sets of cookies?
Old 08-24-2013

Quote:
Understood.

And if we do happen to get IPs that are the same , it is my understanding that this is not the end of the world, correct? They typically look for IP PLUS cookies to link accounts?
Yes, but you do not want to make it a normal practice.

And on the topic of cookies, will ebay/paypal have an issue with the same account is being logged on from two different computers with two different sets of cookies?[/QUOTE]
I personally try to keep everything separate. The less attention put on accounts the better.
I am sure there are many users out there that access their accounts through multiple computers, but like I said why bring extra attention to accounts.
The Following User Says Thank You to AuctionsDenied For This Useful Post:
nodeal (08-24-2013)
Old 08-25-2013
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

Why dont you just sit up time to work together on this at the same computer etc?

8 blocks away from each other would be easy to do.

Accessing accounts from two computers over and over would be a totally risky process.
Old 08-25-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy D View Post
Why dont you just sit up time to work together on this at the same computer etc?

8 blocks away from each other would be easy to do.

Accessing accounts from two computers over and over would be a totally risky process.
Sandy,

Unfortunately the two of us are not home often and being as though our schddules do not coincide (we both work other jobs), it is hard for us to find time where we can both sit down together and work.

We can rent a space of some sort to work from, but that is pricey espdcially since we are still at the beginning stages.

Sandy can you please elaborate upon the risk that you speak of? I value your information and would be really interested to hear more on this.
Old 08-25-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:

Chances would seem low but that`s why you keep a log of the IPs you use. The extra steps taken to remain linkfree - even if just IP is low likelihood - pays off for security of the account.
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
nodeal (08-26-2013)
Old 08-26-2013
Banned

Quote:
Sandy,

Unfortunately the two of us are not home often and being as though our schddules do not coincide (we both work other jobs), it is hard for us to find time where we can both sit down together and work.

We can rent a space of some sort to work from, but that is pricey espdcially since we are still at the beginning stages.

Sandy can you please elaborate upon the risk that you speak of? I value your information and would be really interested to hear more on this.
Logging in from two computers to the same account can be risky because ebay and paypal will see this and may ask you over and over questions about security issues.

To them it appears like someone is getting into your account from another computer/location etc.
Old 08-26-2013
Banned

Why dont you both have your own stealth accounts up and running and just share the profits etc?
Old 08-26-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,925 Times in 8,217 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Sandy's idea is good for stealth but I can see that this "sharing of profits" will likely disintegrate into pure competition when one starts to do better than other ....
Old 08-26-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 79%

What I would suggest to the OP is that they should do is split up the stealth accounts, then each get a Dongle with different Companies so they don't ever cross IP paths.
Old 08-26-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Okay guys we are going to use our smartphones as personal hotspots, which give us new IPs every time the phone is turned off and back on.

It does seem like we need to just split up the accounts. Easiest way and least risky.

I really appreciate the advice! Thanks a lot!
Old 08-27-2013

Quote:
Okay guys we are going to use our smartphones as personal hotspots, which give us new IPs every time the phone is turned off and back on.
Airplane mode is even quicker then having to shut off phone and have it power back up.
Old 08-27-2013
Executive [VIP]
Threadstarter  

So weird AuctionsDenied, because I read that too, but tried the Airplane mode and the IP address didn't change. I'll give it another shot though!