Link my accounts and BEACONS - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 09-17-2013
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 63%
Default Link my accounts and BEACONS

I was on my PC, checking email. I accidentally hit the yellow ebay respond button in the email, instead of the reply button for the email. It quickly opened a ebay page page of another stealth account, the one I am on the user name and IP for. I was already logged into ebay under that stealth name.

Did I just link these two accounts?

If so, could it be thought to be public access maybe a library? What if I create a new user name and IP for the one who really belonged on this profile. And never log back into the older user name again or old IP again.

Are these connected for life? No information, name etc match. Only the user name and IP address...if it did infact connect. Is there something embeded in that yellow respond tab in the email other than to just open up a current ebay page?

I didn't do anything after it took me to that page. I logged out, and closed that page.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%
Default re: Link my accounts and BEACONS

Often, links do not become a problem unless one of the accounts gets restricted in some way.

Yes, a possible link has been created.

Also, if you are opening email from other stealth accounts on your main PC and images are displaying, that will also link the accounts. eBay and Amazon use beacons to tell them if the email was opened and that includes the IP address - eBay can see the IP which their image file was accessed from.

Probably not the best explanation, maybe someone else can put it in better terms?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
Geegee83 (09-17-2013), Heisenberg1 (04-10-2014), zagy123 (11-10-2013)
Old 09-17-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Wait a second, I can't read a ebay email and NOT click on any links from other ip addresses?

That doesn't make sense. What about the people who forward all of their ebay emails to one google and open it with their cell? They are then opening all those emails from all those accounts on their cell IP.

Something's not right about this, doesn't make sense.
Old 09-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%

So long as you disable images and beacons while doing this you are fine.

Just have to ensure not to click any links .
The Following User Says Thank You to JamesNorth101 For This Useful Post:
zagy123 (11-10-2013)
Old 09-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysol View Post
Wait a second, I can't read a ebay email and NOT click on any links from other ip addresses?
It makes sense to those doing this correctly.

It is stated ad nauseam to DISABLE images in gmail and NEVER click a link.

Been the case since the forum started in 2007.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
Heisenberg1 (04-10-2014)
Old 09-17-2013
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Something's not right about this, doesn't make sense.
What you're not grasping is what a web beacon is. Yes, many of us open emails from our cell phone and are not linked (I, do this alot). We do so, after disabling external content on our mail clients. (If you don't know how to do this, just ask or search the forum).

As stated by previous posters, you must also follow this tactic.

Unfortunately, you have linked your accounts. Why? Well, let's discuss what information a web beacon contains...

1. IP address
2. The type of browser that retrieved the image
3. Time stamp of when material was viewed
4. Cookies

#1 alone could have linked you, but the other 3 add to ebay/paypal/amazon's suspicions - and it's the reason why web beacons are so useful to them.

The web beacon is ebay/paypal/amazon's built in trap they set for us. Sounds like you got caught in the trap. Tread carefully w/ those accounts with the idea that they are now linked.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
Geegee83 (09-18-2013), GreenBean (09-17-2013), Heisenberg1 (04-10-2014), jeffweico (09-18-2013), jnveed (12-04-2013), metatrade (09-17-2013), MM78 (09-18-2013), Sandy D (09-18-2013), zagy123 (11-10-2013)
Old 09-18-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

OK, since all the "smart" people who give a darn about their accounts already know this, and it's clear that I'm so stupid and I just really don't care to do things the right way... maybe you could just tell me how to disable links in my gmail account so as to disable "beacons" that allow ebay to know that I opened NOT CLICKED ON A LINK but merely opened a email from an IP that another account has also opened a email from. I guess if two ebay people check their email from mcdonlds they are linked forever?

But does it really matter? Because from what you are telling me, all four of my stealth accounts are now linked, because I forward them to one gmail, and check that gmail email from where I want.

So what then? I have to start all over from scratch? How do we "disable links"?
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Amysol, you are NOT stupid... When I started with all this, I didn't understand everything either. It is par for the course. We live and learn and improve our knowledge and methods.

You want to go into your gmail account and disable images by default.

And you are correct in that eBay might think this is some sort of a public IP address or something. A link does not automatically ban accounts. Think of all the households where several people each have their own eBay accounts. Or, if people check their eBay accounts from a friend's house. Or a Starbucks.

The danger is if one of your accounts gets banned, the other accounts may be looked at. If enough similarities exist, they could go down too. But there are no guarantees of anything with eBay/PayPal.
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffweico For This Useful Post:
An0nym0u$ (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/cookies...h-objects.html

Posters tried to aid you in the above older thread.

The Following User Says Thank You to GreenBean For This Useful Post:
An0nym0u$ (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
OK, since all the "smart" people who give a darn about their accounts already know this, and it's clear that I'm so stupid and I just really don't care to do things the right way
Calm down & take a deep breath. I'm not calling anyone stupid or insinuating they are stupid and I am "smart".

I am sharing my knowledge in this area in hopes that it, not only helps you but others as well in the future. I don't gain anything by posting this information (other than the fact of knowing I'm helping others).

All I am suggesting is based on what you have posted, there is a strong possibility your accounts are linked and to operate them with the knowledge they are potentially linked.

If you thought my post was condescending or insinuating you were stupid, then I apologize because that was not my intention.

Best of luck,
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean™ View Post
http://www.aspkin.com/forums/cookies...h-objects.html

Posters tried to aid you in the above older thread.

Good find GB!

@amysol, this could have been avoided if you read the suggestion in post#3.

http://www.aspkin.com/forums/cookies...tml#post478883

Quote:
One thing that comes to mind is your GMail account (or whatever email application you are using). You need to disable content on your email client so that you do not display external images. Ebay likes to send web beacons that can potentially link you.
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Despite appearances I care that users do not have issues.

Maybe amysol may understand some veterans might know what is workable.

Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,935 Times in 8,226 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amysol View Post
I was on my PC, checking email. I accidentally hit the yellow ebay respond button in the email, instead of the reply button for the email. It quickly opened a ebay page page of another stealth account, the one I am on the user name and IP for. I was already logged into ebay under that stealth name.

Did I just link these two accounts?

If so, could it be thought to be public access maybe a library? What if I create a new user name and IP for the one who really belonged on this profile. And never log back into the older user name again or old IP again.

Are these connected for life? No information, name etc match. Only the user name and IP address...if it did infact connect. Is there something embeded in that yellow respond tab in the email other than to just open up a current ebay page?

I didn't do anything after it took me to that page. I logged out, and closed that page.
One time is unlikely to cause issues. As for connected for life and such, nothing to say 100% against but low likelihood - all you did was access the eB page with a reply...remote chance of anything bad happening.

Make sure not to repeat however.

Possible link but not strong would be a fair opinion.
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
One time is unlikely to cause issues. As for connected for life and such, nothing to say 100% against but low likelihood - all you did was access the eB page with a reply...remote chance of anything bad happening.

Make sure not to repeat however.

Possible link but not strong would be a fair opinion.
rsot, I respectfully disagree. The link is already made. Everything I've read on web beacons suggests there is a TON of information passed back to ebay as soon as you click on the web beacon image.

Definition of a Web Beacon

Quote:
Also called a Web bug or a pixel tag or a clear GIF. Used in combination with cookies, a Web beacon is an often-transparent graphic image, usually no larger than 1 pixel x 1 pixel, that is placed on a Web site or in an e-mail that is used to monitor the behavior of the user visiting the Web site or sending the e-mail. When the HTML code for the Web beacon points to a site to retrieve the image, at the same time it can pass along information such as the IP address of the computer that retrieved the image, the time the Web beacon was viewed and for how long, the type of browser that retrieved the image and previously set cookie values.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
Heisenberg1 (04-10-2014), rsot (09-18-2013), Sandy D (09-18-2013), zagy123 (04-10-2014)
Old 09-18-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

At any rate does anyone know HOW to disable links in gmail.

I can't find anything regarding disabling links and images on gmail.

Last edited by amysol; 09-18-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-18-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Is this it?

External content:
- Always display external content (such as images) sent by trusted senders - Learn more
- Ask before displaying external content

If I choose ask before displaying external content is that what we are trying to do here?
Old 09-18-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

It doesn't work. I selected to ask before displaying external content. uninstalled the account from my iphone, reinstalled the google mail account and opened the mail and it's full of images and links just like before.
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

Why do you attack people that are trying to help you (and then request for more help from them)?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to An0nym0u$ For This Useful Post:
Heisenberg1 (04-10-2014), Sandy D (09-18-2013)
Old 09-18-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

We were told from the very beginning that we could check our email from any website anywhere so long as we don't click on the links. Now, I am being told that in order to know if I've sold anything or have any messages, I need to log into the ebay account which takes a long time, I've been trying to log into one for 30 minutes now still no success as the ip that keeps coming up is one that has been used on another account. It's 8 attempts now to try and get a ip to log in. I don't get new ips, my IP just filters through the same 30 ips at random. SO being able to see my emails from whatever IP I want is important. But I still don't understand how.

In google, I switched to ask before displaying external content. That apparently wasn't it as the images and links still all show. So I have no idea how to turn off images and links in google. There are lots of people here who use google and perhaps someone will help me with that.

I tried doing it in comcast so it's done before it ever gets forwarded to gmail. However there, I can deselect download images automatically in html emails. But that is the only option. There is nothing about disabling links.
Old 09-18-2013
Executive [VIP]

To disable external content

1. Go into your g-mail account
2. Click the clog in the top right
3. Select settings
4. On the first page select 'Ask before displaying external content'
5. Scroll down and save changes

This will disable what you need disabled.

You can then use gmail to read any message and see the details of any sales without issue. You still have to be careful to not click on any links (unless on the correct IP address and the correct user account)

As for your IP issue, it may be worth looking at other access options, tethering and mobile dongles both spring to mind.

Last edited by JamesNorth101; 09-18-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-19-2013
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

James,

Thanks, Ok so I did that. But I still see images, and links....that's ok? IT is supposed to be like that? I thought if I did it correctly, then I wouldn't see links or images, etc. I just want to make sure now that I know how important it is, that I do it correctly.

Thank you! :-)
Old 09-19-2013
Executive [VIP]

When you open an email it should say

'Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from ebay@eb ay.co. uk' (ignore the space)

If it shows this message your fine, if it doesnt then its not been done correctly.

You will see the links regardless. Just don't click them