My new laptop has a VPN already installed? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > eBay Tracking

eBay Tracking General discussions on eBay tracking, account linking, IP address, user accounts and more.

Old 11-14-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 54%
Default My new laptop has a VPN already installed?

So, I apologize in advance for my ignorance, but I'm not very knowledgeable about these sorts of things.
A while back - when I got my first account from 123 (thank you!), I was considering purchasing a VPN - VPNware, whatever, you know what I mean.
Well, my life outside of online activities sort of blew up - tl;dr: I'm just getting back into it, and partly in celebration of that I got a brand new laptop. (First new computer since 2002! Yay!)
I opened the settings, and I was elated - albeit guardedly - to see that there is apparently a VPN already installed and ready to go in my machine!
Here's my question: Can I use the pre-packaged VPN as I would if I'd purchased VMware? Is it basically the same? It seems too good to be true, so I'm guessing it's not, but - wow! - how cool would it be if it were?!
Any help/advice/suggestions along these lines would be greatly appreciated!

P.S. It's good to be back! Nice to 'see' so many familiar faces, etc.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-14-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%
Default Re: My new laptop has a VPN already installed?

Do not touch ebay/paypal until you check this very carefully.

Tell us the specs of this laptop and place of purchase.

Is this a secnd hand machine?

Old 11-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,244 Times in 705 Posts
Longevity: 79%

Hi, good to see your back on the forums! But yeah no computer comes prepackaged with a VPN, so my guess is your confusing something else for a VPN. Also by VPNware you probably meant VMware right? That's completely different thats just a program that helps with stealth think of it like firefox but every tab is a new computer makes managing multiple accounts very easy!
Old 11-15-2015
MU

Longevity: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchtoks View Post
Hi guys to use stealt I must get vmware on my laptop
You can also created multiple user accounts, and change IP for every account...
Old 11-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

When you say "Preinstalled VPN", what exactly do you mean? Just the software like OpenVPN? Does it have an active subscription on the computer?

Regardless, you are recommended NOT using it. You wouldn't know what the previous owner has done with it.
Old 11-15-2015
Threadstarter  

One of the main reasons I absolutely love this forum is the direct involvement of those who I think of as the 'upper-echelon'; the people I trust as the real pros, the best-of-the-best. Awesome!

Anyway...

So I feel a little silly, as I was going to include the make/model/specs of my machine in my original message (makes sense, right? how can you ask a question about a computer without including those data?) but then didn't. I don't know why. So, here's that stuff and answers to the other questions:

GreenBean, et al: Yes, it is a brand-spanking-new machine (still very exciting to me - my first in something like 13 years!). It was purchased at Best Buy. It's a Toshiba Satellite, C55t-C5300. 6G/1T memory, touch screen, built-in CD/R, like 3 USB 2.0 ports, an SD card slot, and HDMI hookup. (Prolly way more than y'all need, but like I said, I'm pretty jazzed!)

123: Hey there! Yep, it's good to be back! Yes, of course you're right, I meant VMware. Judging from what I've found out so far, I'll probably be springing for it here real soon (as in, like, Wednesday).

DairDD: I'm guessing you're referring to the techniques outlined in the various guides and discussions available on here, and I appreciate your input.

BiN4RY: No, no worries, I haven't even cracked it open (the VPN program), nor will I 'til I know what's up. Re: "previous owner:" There isn't one, but I'm still very leery of it. There's no subscription involved; it seems to be some sort of pre-installed software.

Now that I've had some time to look at it and think about it, I think it's just something that will say if I'm hooked in to a VPN or not. I don't know. I just now deleted a whole bunch of typing wherein I tried to describe what I'm seeing, but even I found it clumsy and annoying (my description, that is), so I'll just try to figure out how to do a screen shot rather than risk pissing y'all off.

Thanks so much, everybody!
Old 11-15-2015
Banned

Longevity: 52%

The best of the best keep their secret to themselves...
Old 11-15-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Hun,

If our replies avert a disaster with new stealth accounts, then we can be pissed off!

Do what you can to sort this mystery

Ps.... Quick solution might be a phone call to Best Egg and ask them if this model has VPN loaded

Last edited by GreenBean; 11-15-2015 at 07:17 PM.
Old 11-15-2015
Threadstarter  

GreenBean: ??? I agree with you, like 1000%, but I think maybe we had a misunderstanding. When I said "risk pissing y'all off" I was referring to my rea-hea-hea-heally long description in lieu of a screen shot - which I decided to edit out, 'cause if anyone with more knowledge than I (everybody here) would've had to wade through it, they'd've more than likely been at least a tad bit irritated, if not POed outright. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I didn't think anyone was POed or anything; it was just a dumb, tongue-in-cheek sort of aside.

Anyhow...Mystery Solved! Sort of. Enough for my purposes, anyway.

tl;dr: VMware will be purchased this Wednesday.

Once again, thank you all so very, very much!

P.S. - Didn't see your P.S., GreenBean. That's a great idea. Thanks!
Old 11-15-2015
Threadstarter  

empirestate: Eh, maybe, but for the most part it's been my experience that basically everyone here is more than happy to share any and all insights, tips, tricks, 'secrets,' and so forth that will help you maintain a successful stealth presence. (And, what's more, they're really, really patient, too!)