Ebay boycott - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > General Platform Discussions

General Platform Discussions Discuss other platforms (marketplace accounts, payment gateways, ad accounts, social accounts and more). In other words, if it's about another platform and it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes here.

Old 09-10-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 67%
Default Ebay boycott

Hi all,

Just joined here recently after being burned by ebay. I am a good seller with 100% feedback. Had 3 bad months on DSRs due to a crappy staff member (caught him stealing and being generally bad at work). Was slowly improving the account despite having low selling volumes due to ebay restrictions but ebay indefinitely restricted us before we could bring it back to standard.

I'm just wondering if there is any initiative to boycott ebay. I'm now searching for items to buy on amazon, ebid and direct websites wherever possible and using ebay as a last resort. I've also started selling on ebid and amazon. The only real way to make them rethink their strategy is by affecting them on the buying side. So if anyone reads this, make an effort to buy anywhere but ebay and the traffic will slowly move to other sites.

From what I can see there are 2000 active members here. If we start telling people we may see the effects in a couple of years. Just my 2c.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-10-2012

Longevity: 75%

I understand your sentiments but you have more chance of platting fog and sewing a button on it
The Following User Says Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
jeffweico (09-14-2012)
Old 09-10-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 74%

there are 2000 people here. ebay has about 100 MILLION active users. not too sure it will do much PLUS i make my living off of ebay, the system is screwed up but why would i want to hurt myself more?
The Following User Says Thank You to slim jim For This Useful Post:
Elijah (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012

Longevity: 70%

What do you know.....a new member pissed at eBay. 100% of people come on here with the same attitude and a week later, they realize how it really works....
Old 09-10-2012
Administrator

Thanked 1,568 Times in 861 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenzyme View Post
I'm just wondering if there is any initiative to boycott ebay.
Sorry, but this is the wrong place for your lets "Boycott eBay" platform.

Not sure why you are mad at eBay? You have readily admitted that it was someone from your staff who sunk your account. How's that eBay's fault? And why should they trust you to hire the right person next time?

Anyway....Good Luck with your self-imposed "Boycott"
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TGMT² For This Useful Post:
GrannyT (09-10-2012), GreenBean (09-10-2012), slapped (09-11-2012), slim jim (09-10-2012), unkown5454 (09-10-2012), yotano211 (09-11-2012)
Old 09-10-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

We are hardly going to boycott a selling platform that we can work on and beat, are we?

jeffweico (09-14-2012), slim jim (09-10-2012)
Old 09-10-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 72%

It's always a "staff member" who botched the job.
The Following User Says Thank You to JJGold For This Useful Post:
Bunneh (09-14-2012)
Old 09-10-2012

Longevity: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJGold View Post
It's always a "staff member" who botched the job.
LOL. I hate ebay with a passion as well. But where else would you go to sell things, reaching that many people?
Old 09-10-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,934 Times in 3,399 Posts
Longevity: 78%

Quote:
Hi all,

Just joined here recently after being burned by ebay. I am a good seller with 100% feedback. Had 3 bad months on DSRs due to a crappy staff member (caught him stealing and being generally bad at work). Was slowly improving the account despite having low selling volumes due to ebay restrictions but ebay indefinitely restricted us before we could bring it back to standard.

I'm just wondering if there is any initiative to boycott ebay. I'm now searching for items to buy on amazon, ebid and direct websites wherever possible and using ebay as a last resort. I've also started selling on ebid and amazon. The only real way to make them rethink their strategy is by affecting them on the buying side. So if anyone reads this, make an effort to buy anywhere but ebay and the traffic will slowly move to other sites.

From what I can see there are 2000 active members here. If we start telling people we may see the effects in a couple of years. Just my 2c.

You go with your bad self...I will keep selling in the mean time.
Old 09-11-2012

Longevity: 68%

we've all been here before... your anger is raw and i can appriciate that

id be happy to boycott ebay for a day but millions of others carry on as normal so it makes next to no difference at all

years ago i would have been happy as a pig in **** for a another auction site to come along and blow ebay away but now ebay are too big... they just buy out the competition

love or hate it we are stuck with it and like everyone else its where we make our money

applaud your enthusiasm but you will soon simmer down and crack on with it

i was cheesed off with ebay...sick to the back teeth of it... i can remember life without ebay it was bliss

got banned and the spent all my time and effort getting back on it

its what we do
The Following User Says Thank You to turboman For This Useful Post:
kenzyme (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

The problem with eBay is that it's too big for human staff to handle. Everything is automated at this point and users only get pre-written answers, even when they have a problem that requires a real answer.

I'm seeing more and more people suspended right when signing up, or when listing the first item, etc. And those are normal first time users without knowing what to do when that happens. If I sign up for eBay for the first time and get suspended right away and then get an email asking me to send in my passport, utility bill, etc. I'll likely go somewhere else instead.

That's what's happening right now with eBay. A boycott won't work, it's been attempted before by some of the biggest power sellers on eBay. The listing count went down probably 10%, then eBay launched a free listing day and it went right back up.

For eBay to fall, you have to pull the buyers away. The sellers will follow on their own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imjustme For This Useful Post:
jeffweico (09-14-2012), kenzyme (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

I make my entire income from ebay now. Lots of people on here also follow the same principle and others sell for extra income.

If the people who sell full time boycotts ebay, how are they all going to replace their income. Tell me what other place will replace income without listening to pissed off managers or other employees who don't give a dam about anything in their life or other people's lifes. A lot of people love working for themselves, even if they work 12-15 hours a day packing stuff and shipping them out.

When the day that ebay goes under and another website replaces it, the same people who were selling one ebay will also sell on the new site. The entire process will just repeat itself.

Online commerce (eCommerce) is not going anywhere. I think the day when someone invents "transporter technology" from Star Trek, will be the day when online eCommerce dies. The seller can just beam the item to my living room, or that nice looking girl to my bedroom.
It won't die, just rerouted somewhere else.
Old 09-11-2012
Threadstarter  

Just to clarify, I know our account was below standard, but I was speaking to ebay and improving it to bring it up to standard. Despite the improvements and 0 low DSRs over the last 2 months they said because we had some 3 months ago they would have to shut us down. I had spoken to their CS several times in these 2 months and at no point had they mentioned this would happen. They kept saying that if the account improves we would be fine. The account did improve but they shut us down. This is what really annoyed me.
Fair enough. I know ebay own magento, gumtree etc. and I realise that they are too big to fight and too big to have any personal service.
I realise that everybody here sells on ebay and that there are no other viable selling options at the moment.
There are many items I buy that can only be found easily on ebay. I'm going to make an effort to buy elsewhere wherever possible, but in many cases ebay will be the cheapest and easiest option.
I have nothing against ebay as an idea. It is fantastic, but I disagree with their whole customer service approach where they tell you one thing on the phone and do another in reality.
I've sold items on amazon where they have happily removed feedback if it seems to have been left in error. One person left a comment 'Excellent service. Very happy' and gave 1 star instead of 5 stars in error. Amazon could see this and they deleted the feedback immediately. Ebay robots would never do this.
Change may never happen because ebay are too big, but small things like checking other sites before ebay and just maintaining listings on other sites may make change more likely.
I understand that most people on here make their living or at least some money on ebay and a move away would be harmful, but hypothetically if there was another site that had similar traffic, a better fee structure and better customer service it would be awesome for all involved!
I will happily embrace what these forums are about and join the system now but I am still hoping for a move away from ebay in the long term and I'll do what little I can to make it happen.

Rant over.
Old 09-11-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboman View Post
we've all been here before... your anger is raw and i can appriciate that

id be happy to boycott ebay for a day but millions of others carry on as normal so it makes next to no difference at all

years ago i would have been happy as a pig in **** for a another auction site to come along and blow ebay away but now ebay are too big... they just buy out the competition

love or hate it we are stuck with it and like everyone else its where we make our money

applaud your enthusiasm but you will soon simmer down and crack on with it

i was cheesed off with ebay...sick to the back teeth of it... i can remember life without ebay it was bliss

got banned and the spent all my time and effort getting back on it

its what we do
Thanks. Glad to know from these forums that I'm not alone.

Are you on ebay now via the stealth route?
Old 09-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts

He uses sheep.

He's Welsh.

kenzyme (09-11-2012), turboman (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGMT² View Post
Sorry, but this is the wrong place for your lets "Boycott eBay" platform.

Not sure why you are mad at eBay? You have readily admitted that it was someone from your staff who sunk your account. How's that eBay's fault? And why should they trust you to hire the right person next time?

Anyway....Good Luck with your self-imposed "Boycott"
I readily admit my errors. Yes, I should have noticed earlier and yes, my staff are my responsibility, but in my eyes the problem was not bad enough to warrant such action. All my DSRs were still above 4.5, even at the worst time.

My issue with ebay is that they closed my improving account after repeatedly telling me that everything was 'fine'. They don't need to trust that my account is improving, they could just look at the numbers for that.
I am not a scammer / liar / cheat, but I did have a bad patch with 4-5 late deliveries and they treated me like a criminal for a few low DSRs months ago despite my 100% feedback and proven improvement on the account.
Some of the problem was DSRs on P&P charges which I was well on my way to fixing by offering free postage.

I think you will agree that they lack a human touch.

I'm happy to PM you my ebay id if you're in any doubt about my honesty.
The Following User Says Thank You to kenzyme For This Useful Post:
TGMT² (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012

Longevity: 68%

Quote:
Thanks. Glad to know from these forums that I'm not alone.

Are you on ebay now via the stealth route?
yes indeed stealth works fact

10+ years on a normal standing

i was the victim in my circumstances but ebay and paypal still treated me like a criminal... blocked my accounts indeffinate

i was a lost sheep... going out of business fast, ifound stealth and the shepherds here took me on board

being blocked on ebay and relying on it for a living is like trying to drive a car with no fuel in it... getting started on stealth is slow going like starting back out for the 1st time on ebay, its a crawl but its starting to gather pace, my stealth account is fresh but the timming is nice as it will kick in just before xmas time when my kind of product will sell very well

its funny too... just today i had a customer asking would i send the goods 1st for half price and the rest when the goods arrive haha they said as you are new and have few feedback... if only they knew
and imagine me sending my goods for half price! its them i dont trust haha

its a long road but finding stealth was a great day...

Last edited by turboman; 09-11-2012 at 06:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to turboman For This Useful Post:
Global (09-11-2012)
Old 09-11-2012

Longevity: 75%

I was stealth before I knew what stealth was but without any doubt the knowledge I have gleaned from here has made me much more secure. That's why I try to give back - not always successfully but I do share what I know and help where I can

If Ebay take against me now they can only get one account. Nothing I do would enable them to link any of my business activities.

I would love to be able to trade as me but sadly the past makes that impossible.

My children and step children now all trade on Ebay and I have instilled in them the logic and the reasoning behind stealth. They are not 'hardcore' ebayers like many on this forum but each has a back up account should anything go wrong.

It's what we all have to do to get our daily paper

As a side note today is the best day I've had in weeks
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GrannyT For This Useful Post:
Global (09-11-2012), kenzyme (09-12-2012)
Old 09-11-2012
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 5%
Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyT View Post
As a side note today is the best day I've had in weeks
last month was my best month ever. and good for your kids and grand kids.
Old 09-14-2012

Longevity: 72%

It would be nice if eBay did not have such a monopoly. The problem is until such time as there is a genuine alternative with a decent level of traffic that at least matches 50% of eBay traffic we are all stuck with them.

The main reason no other site has a market share anywhere close to eBays is because eBay has the confidence of the buyer and it is extremely hard to earn that confidence or even implement a system that protects all parties concerned.

Just my opinion tho!
Old 09-14-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by imjustme View Post
For eBay to fall, you have to pull the buyers away. The sellers will follow on their own.
PERFECT analysis!