sign over paypal check to cash - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 03-03-2015

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 74%
Default sign over paypal check to cash

I have a bank account with a limit on how much I can withdraw into it. Like an idiot I lost access to my original phone number so I cant add a new bank account. Back in the day when i was living at home I used to sign over my pay checks to my dad and he would cash them. Is it possible to request a check from paypal in my stealth name and sign it over to my real name and cash that. Has anyone ever tried that. Is it even legal. Will paypal see my real info as I am putting check into a account with my real info.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-03-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%
Default Re: sign over paypal check to cash

Just deposit the check into the Bank account that you used on this account to withdrawal funds

I'm guessing you have a Bank that accepts deposits in mismatched names, it should also work for depositing checks

Also if your bank has a smartphone App that allows you to snap the front and back of the check and deposits it automatically, that way you can avoid a teller
Old 03-04-2015
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 74%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmshark25 View Post
Just deposit the check into the Bank account that you used on this account to withdrawal funds

I'm guessing you have a Bank that accepts deposits in mismatched names, it should also work for depositing checks

Also if your bank has a smartphone App that allows you to snap the front and back of the check and deposits it automatically, that way you can avoid a teller

Thanks for the advise dmshark! My paypal bank account is online only with no physical branch (bluebird). I have a few personal bank accounts, is this common practice if a bank accepts deposits in mismatched names will deposit a mismatched check into you account? I know this is different but I thought you couldn't cash a check in someone else's name as what would stop someone from stealing a check and cashing that. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

Checks deposited are usually processed by machines. They don't always check the back of the check to verify signatures and what not. And if they accept deposits in mismatched names, then it should not matter what the name on the check is.

HOWEVER: Your ACCOUNT NUMBER and BANK NAME will be printed on the paper check, and PayPal COULD see that if they wanted to.
Old 03-04-2015

Longevity: 64%

Just wondering - did you actually try to add another bank account? It's true, some people reported getting the "device not recognized error" when trying to add a "real" bank (like BoA, Chase, Citi etc), but the vast majority of the time that happens with common VBA banks like Ally/GMAC and CapitalOne360. Personally I've never had that error message when adding a real bank, only with those above mentioned VBA ones.

I have deposited a check with a mismatched name once (to Bank of America), but it was a small amount and that was the only time I ever did it. It was successful.
Old 03-05-2015

Thanked 1,595 Times in 1,075 Posts
Longevity: 65%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftf101 View Post
Thanks for the advise dmshark! My paypal bank account is online only with no physical branch (bluebird). I have a few personal bank accounts, is this common practice if a bank accepts deposits in mismatched names will deposit a mismatched check into you account? I know this is different but I thought you couldn't cash a check in someone else's name as what would stop someone from stealing a check and cashing that. Thanks for the help!
Depositing a check and direct deposit is the same concept, they are both deposits, and by using a smartphone app to deposit the check it will be automated like your direct deposit

If your bank accepts deposits in mismatched names than it should be ok

The key is to have a Bank Account that accepts mismatched deposits. Because whether the mismatched deposit came as a direct deposit or from a deposited check, they are both mismatched names

You could bring the argument that you hacked into someone's PayPal and added your bank and made a withdrawal, which is the same as taking someone's check and depositing it into your bank

They are both deposits in mismatched names

So make sure you have the correct bank account that will accept them

And there is a difference between depositing and cashing the check, you want to deposit the check , do not try and cash it
Old 12-26-2018

Longevity: 35%

im in the same boat right now....it let me add new bank account....i click claim it....deposit to bank....then it trys to text a phone i have no access to....i called and paypals "system" wont let me delete old phone and use the new verified one....they are pretty much forcing me to take a check....how do i cash it? or bette yet how the hell can i get around this? chime bank is the bank i added.
Old 12-26-2018

Longevity: 53%

This is not real hard, Get the check, open a real bank acct, deposit the check, wait for it to clear and spend the money?
Old 12-26-2018
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 69%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhands1 View Post
im in the same boat right now....it let me add new bank account....i click claim it....deposit to bank....then it trys to text a phone i have no access to....i called and paypals "system" wont let me delete old phone and use the new verified one....they are pretty much forcing me to take a check....how do i cash it? or bette yet how the hell can i get around this? chime bank is the bank i added.
And why don't you have access to the phone number?
Old 12-26-2018
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

add a new phone and wait at least a couple months or request a check.