Paypal asking for SSN.. Can't get EIN w/o a SSN... What to do? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 06-17-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 45%
Default Paypal asking for SSN.. Can't get EIN w/o a SSN... What to do?

Hi guys,
I've looked for past threads on the subject but it's just making me more confused. I simply and stupidly tried to upgrade my stealth to a business account so that I could add a user to do some email collecting for me in my stealth PayPal account.
At the end of the application Paypal brought up a screen asking for my SSN with some state tm about the irs needing it etc etc. this was not caused by PayPal, I caused it by trying to upgrade to a business account.
I emailed buy VC and the rep said to just register for an Ein and use that number. But the irs asks for a SSN to register for an Ein?
Am I sol here?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,197 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 27%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Paypal asking for SSN.. Can't get EIN w/o a SSN... What to do?

Have you not got a SSN?
Old 06-17-2016
Threadstarter  

I definitely have a SSN, but my SSN is attached to my real tax paying LLC. There's no way I would tie myself in any way to this acct so some PayPal rep can find the connection and shut down my main acct.
Its my stealth acct/persona that needs the SSN. This is an old topic but when I looked at past threads the solution seems to be "get an Ein number instead"
But to get an Ein number irs asks for a SSN? Round and round I go
I googled how to get Ein w/o SSN and it involves acting like a foreign company with a real passport or other identifying docs showing you really are foreign.

I made a simple mistake trying to upgrade to business acct. I want to call PayPal and tell them I only tried adding to add a user, but since I don't run a business I don't want my social tied on the acct.
also I was going to say I lost my SSN card and don't know my SSN by memory.
Either way I think whoever the PayPal rep is (especially if a Filipino girl), they will then start digging as to why I can't provide a SSN etc, making me feel criminal and I don't want to deal with that.
Old 06-17-2016
Threadstarter  

Yes I have an SSN of course but it's attached to my own personal business/LLC. I'm not going to attach my own personal SSN to this stealth account.
My problem now is how do I get an Ein or SSN to give to PayPal?

Last edited by TGMT²; 06-17-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-17-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Whats the problem with using your SSN to get the EIN?
Paypal cannot see this SSN. That's information only the government will have.
Old 06-17-2016
Threadstarter  

I already have an Ein for my own business. I don't want irs trying to come after me for a second Ein for taxes or something. I already pay taxes on the stealth income by adding it to my returns.

Last edited by TGMT²; 06-17-2016 at 11:14 PM.
Old 07-06-2016

Longevity: 47%

So, is it pretty common to create an EIN with one's own SSN for stealth?
Old 07-06-2016

Longevity: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicsolovag View Post
So, is it pretty common to create an EIN with one's own SSN for stealth?
Yes. It is illegal (the serious kind of illegal) to create an EIN with anyone else's SSN.

OP: You can have more than one EIN. The IRS has no issue with that whatsoever. In fact, I believe that since you already have an LLC, that LLC can 'own' a second entity that has its own EIN. Regardless, PP does not get your SSN from being provided with an EIN. EINs exist for that exact reason, to separate and maintain individual privacy when doing business.
The Following User Says Thank You to EWHendo For This Useful Post:
dg.queens (10-17-2016)
Old 07-06-2016

Question; for stealth purposes: would it be the easiest way to form a NV LLC, create an EIN for that and submit to Paypal?
I would need to create the LLC/EIN on my own real name and get the EIN, correct?
If I submit that to Paypal, will it not be a problem since the stealth info does not match? I know Paypal does not see the info of the LLC but just want to make sure I understand correctly.
Thanks,
Old 07-06-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Get another EIN and just pay the taxes properly by applying the income and the taxes on that income to the second EIN.
I dont understand the issue - unless youre trying to avoid taxes altogether (in which case you wont get any sympathy from me... sorry).
Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by slokor View Post
Get another EIN and just pay the taxes properly by applying the income and the taxes on that income to the second EIN.
I dont understand the issue - unless youre trying to avoid taxes altogether (in which case you wont get any sympathy from me... sorry).
No I am not trying to avoid taxes...just trying to find a solution.
I can't apply for a Sole Proprietor EIN since I don't have a SSN for the stealth account.
I can get an EIN for my SSN but then it will not mach the stealth info and Paypal will not verify....Am I missing something?
Is it the only way to do it through an LLC or other legal entity?
Old 07-06-2016

Longevity: 51%

You can use a Sole Proprietor EIN if you stealth account is still in your real name.

The set up I have is that my stealth account is in my real name, but my address, phone number, email address, and IP / Computer User Account are all different. So when I got a Sole Proprietor EIN, it was registered to me with my real name. When I went to add Tax ID to Paypal, it was no problem, as the EIN and PP account were both in the same name.

I believe (though have not done it this way) that if you get another kind of EIN (Corps or LLC), then the name that you register the EIN to needs to be the name that is on your PP account. If the names are mismatched, then the IRS will start asking questions when they get a 1099 from PP with the wrong name on it.

My understanding is that this is the solution for people whose stealth accounts are not in their real names:
Get a Corp or LLC EIN in the name of your business - ie "Dicsolovag's Rubber Chicken Emporium"
Change the name on your PP account from a person's name to the business name. - ie Change from "Dicso Lovag" to "Dicsolovag's Rubber Chicken Emporium"
Upgrade to a Business PP account by adding your Tax ID (enter your EIN any time it asks for your SSN, including the last 4)

More experienced members - please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on the last part, as like I say, I haven't done it that way, but I believe that is how it is done.
The Following User Says Thank You to EWHendo For This Useful Post:
joyousnoel (01-02-2018)
Old 07-06-2016

Longevity: 69%

Call PayPal and tell the Agent you wish to be downgraded and it should work. I did the same error of upgrading and was stuck and PayPal kept asking for ssn.
Old 07-06-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjourhdez View Post
Call PayPal and tell the Agent you wish to be downgraded and it should work. I did the same error of upgrading and was stuck and PayPal kept asking for ssn.
The account has not been upgraded yet...Did you read the whole thread?
The point is that PP will block the account if SSN/EIN is not provided.
Old 07-12-2016

It's still not clear as I am getting conflicting info....sorry for the redundancy. (my stealth PP in not in my name).

I get a new TIN (EIN) with my own SSN as a sole proprietor. Can I register a business name with the IRS as a sole proprietor and have that business (DBA) name associated with the new EIN? Or will IRS have my personal name attached to this new EIN?

My only concern is that if I get a Sole Proprietor EIN and attach that to my stealth PP acct., it will not match the iRS records as IRS shows the Real Me under that EIN....
According to my CPA, the IRS will have the business name registered under that new EIN.
Can anyone verify this?

Others have also suggested to change the name of the stealth PP account to my real name as PP does not link accts. based on names only. This way the new sole proprietor EIN will match (in case the IRS does have my real name on the new EIN).
Can anyone advise on this?
Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016

Longevity: 46%

Few states allow for an anonymous LLC. Then it depend on the state if a DBA can be registered, but there can only be one EIN in total. LLC + whatever number of DBAs = 1 EIN

The IRS will know which name is registered under the EIN, it's the IRS you send the EIN application to

If you register in a state that allows an anonymous LLC, then there should be no record for paypal to check on their end. That is until paypal report to IRS a wrong combination if EIN and name, which will have to raise a flag..

Have you set the business name at paypal?
I would rather register another LLC instead of a complete name change.
Old 01-02-2018

Longevity: 62%

I am freaking out. I tried to read all I can about how best to provide PayPal a tax id number without getting kicked off. I opened up a PayPal in my mother in laws name back in Oct 2017. Just the end of the year I did 175 transactions for $7500. Now that we are in the new year and that a large portion of money is being held, I decided to get a EIN number as Partnership LLC between me and my spouse. I used my ssn to get the EIN set up. I got the EIN and went to PayPal to upgrade to business account as that seems to be the only option for providing a EIN. I entered the business name, address and the EIN. But then it ask for the last 4 digits of the my mother in law ssn. I know she won't give it to me nor do I want her to. Is there a way to bypass that? I don't know what else to do? Please help as I really need the money to pay my bills. I am so scared that I may have screwed up.

Last edited by joyousnoel; 01-02-2018 at 11:02 AM.
Old 01-03-2018

Longevity: 72%

then it ask for the last 4 digits of the my mother in law ssn

Seriously, you guys are making this way too complicated.

Go to IRS.gov. Give them your SSN. Get an EIN. Give the EIN to PP. If PP wants the last four of your SSN give it to them.

They wouldn't ask YOU for your MIL's SSN. You're badly confused.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dallis For This Useful Post:
entengo (01-03-2018), Gladiator (01-03-2018), joyousnoel (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018

Longevity: 62%

Thanks to Jean at BuyVCC. She helped me out. I entered the last 4 digits on the page. I was told that the last 4 digits of ssn and the ein are not linked. all good
Old 01-03-2018

Longevity: 72%

That's a part of what I was trying to tell you.

Glad you got it worked out.