Windows user accounts - Do I really need new ones? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 01-08-2012

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 90%
Default Windows user accounts - Do I really need new ones?

Hi folks,

I use Windows XP on my vintage Pentium M 1.7Ghz 40GB HDD Laptop. The thing is I dont really want to have to start creating multiple user accounts and for each account having to install every program I use everytime as it will just kill my disk space. I already use CCleaner and Firefox and my IP addresses are pretty dynamic as I use mobile broadband.

Does it really matter if I use the same Windows user account as long as I dont login to Ebay / Paypal using different accounts on the same login? I really didnt know where to put this question in the forum but I was hoping someone in the UK section would understand what I'm on about.

Cheers!

Johnny

Old 01-08-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyleeds View Post
install every program I use everytime as it will just kill my disk space
...what exactly are you installing? A browser alone is not enough for you to use with eBay?
Old 01-08-2012
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Now in ebay tracking

Look at it this way.....

aspkin recommends it because it makes stealth work.

Decide for yourself
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

No, i already have dozens of programs installed on my own user account - firefox / msoffice / photoshop / cuteftp etc etc, its just that I notice when I try and create a new user account when I login as that not all of the programs that are installed on my normal user account seem to be there on the desktop, and when I try and open them from the start menu its like the program is been used for the first time which is a pain in the arse. Its like having a new PC and having to start from scratch, I can do without it if I dont definetely need to do this.
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

FFS, I've set up stealth accounts before several times, I just never operated multiple ones, now if I have to set up a new windows user account for each stealth account and that means each account has to have a new desktop created its going to take ages to sort out. Am I looking at this the wrong way? Its just I'm not that familiar with using multiple windows user accounts so I dont really understand how it works, does anyone have any tips for me?

ta!
Old 01-08-2012
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
No, i already have dozens of programs installed on my own user account - firefox / msoffice / photoshop / cuteftp etc etc, its just that I notice when I try and create a new user account when I login as that not all of the programs that are installed on my normal user account seem to be there on the desktop, and when I try and open them from the start menu its like the program is been used for the first time which is a pain in the arse. Its like having a new PC and having to start from scratch, I can do without it if I dont definetely need to do this.
Why can't you do your work on your "normal" primary windows account?
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

Because we are told, as Greenbean has said above, that due to Ebays tracking it is recommended to create different windows user accounts for each stealth account you are running as this is how stealth works best....? I just dont really understand how windows users accounts work and why each account seems to be like a fresh installation of windows where you have to re-setup each program you have installed on your hard drive.

Bin4ry do you just use one windows user account?
Old 01-08-2012
Executive [VIP]

No, you're not getting my point. The user accounts are meant for using one specific eBay account only, I honestly don't see why you would consider using other things such as MS Office and Photoshop on a regular basis if you complain things such as resetting configurations when you can do it on your primary user account that isn't used for eBay.
Old 01-08-2012

Longevity: 80%

Quote:
Because we are told, as Greenbean has said above, that due to Ebays tracking it is recommended to create different windows user accounts for each stealth account you are running as this is how stealth works best....? I just dont really understand how windows users accounts work and why each account seems to be like a fresh installation of windows where you have to re-setup each program you have installed on your hard drive.

Bin4ry do you just use one windows user account?
You don't need to be installing a fresh install of photoshop on each user account

I (like most on here I presume) have a main user account I use for all my general work, then each eBay account has it's own user account. I only use those user accounts for eBay and PayPal stuff. Makes life 10 times easier.

Sometimes when I need to transfer stuff across (say when PayPal request documents) I'll scan them onto photoshop, then pop them onto my SD card to switch to the required user account.

Your making things more complicated than they need to be.
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

Sorry I am totally lost now, if I am going to operate an ebay account then I need to use other software to edit my photos, write my auction text, ftp my pics to my webspace etc, its not all just web based, what are you suggesting that I do most things in my ordinary user account and then when I want to login to ebay to switch windows user accounts? It just seems a bit fiddly thats all. I dont know my mind is reeling at yet another new load of bollocks that i'm gonna have to learn in addition to trying to run my own business, this stealth account business just gets more and more complicated the more I get involved in it...
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

Ah, right I think its starting to click now... I think I can grasp what you are saying, its just the first time I've heard of this so forgive me if I sound a bit daft. thanks for explaining this to me. So I can still do my main auction work in my ordinary user account, but then when I want to upload the auctions / login to ebay / paypal I switch to whatever particular user account I have associated with each stealth account. Right I see.... I think...!
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

But is it alright as far as stealth is concerned to say take documents out of my main windows user accounts documents file when I'm in my eBay Stealth windows account? Or should I not do this?
Old 01-08-2012

Longevity: 75%

You only need to change user account when you are accessing the ebay site
Old 01-08-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

You should think about installing a SSD (solid state drive) into that oldy laptop. It will make loading programs and switching user accounts so much faster. I have it that my ebay selling laptop starts in 7-8 seconds from pushing the start button to fully loading. I love these intel x-25 SSD drives. The only problem is the space is much less then a traditional drive and they are more expensive per GB.
Old 01-08-2012
Threadstarter  

I've heard of SSD drives, but I never considered installing one into this laptop, to tell you the truth i'm probably going to buy a new (to me) laptop when I start earning on ebay again over the next few weeks. I've seen some decent dual core ones with widescreens etc for around £100 secondhand. And I can probably get the best part of £50 for this one I'm using now.
Old 01-09-2012
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

It takes seconds to create a new user account.

Why not save yourself the hassle of signing in and having eb and pp grab your cookies etc?

My desktop is littered with user accounts and not being a techy person I learned early on that keeping them separate keeps your accounts safe and helps you in not signing into the wrong account etc.
Old 01-09-2012

hi
I have multiple user accounts and all of the programs that are installed on my hard drive are accessible in each user account - you do not need to do individual installations!

Your individual program settings will need to be set though.
Old 01-09-2012
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAHappyBunny View Post
hi
Your individual program settings will need to be set though.
Exactly, the main user (admin) can allow all the other user accts access to everything on the computer.
Old 01-09-2012

I used to run different machines for different accounts in my ignorance - Shadyone sorted user accounts out for me - no problems at all, just reset the modem everytime I change user account -
Old 01-10-2012
Threadstarter  

Yes I'm getting used to it now, I realised you dont need to reinstall everything all over again, I was just having a nightmare that this was going to be another thing I was going to have to spend hours learning about but now I've started to understand it I can see its nowhere near as bad as all that... Cheers lads!
Old 01-10-2012

Amusing watching the oldies learn about this techy stuff

Admirable