New eBay Performance Standards, are they serious ?!? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 03-11-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 69%
Default New eBay Performance Standards, are they serious ?!?

Has anyone seen this garbage yet???

Spring Seller Update: New performance standards will affect your status
This summer, seller performance standards are being updated to reward those sellers most responsible for keeping buyers on eBay.

Starting with the regularly scheduled monthly seller evaluation on August 20, a new measurement, your transaction defect rate, will replace the current four detailed seller rating requirements used to evaluate your seller performance.

Your defect rate is simply the percentage of your transactions over the most recent evaluation period with one or more of the top predictors that a buyer will leave eBay or purchase less, such as an opened eBay Money Back Guarantee case, a return because the item wasn't as described, or negative or neutral feedback.

Based on the last seller evaluation on February 20, your defect rate is expected to be higher than the 2% maximum allowed for Top Rated Sellers.

Start now on improvements needed to lower your rate so you can regain your Top Rated status after the new requirements take effect August 20.

A low defect rate is important. It indicates that your buyers consistently receive the item they expect, when they expect it. Buyers won't see your defect rate. But in general, the lower your defect rate, the better your position in Best Match search results.

As a Top Rated Seller today, you've shown your commitment to providing great service. We appreciate that and we're here to help. We've arranged for an exclusive, one-on-one session with an eBay Outreach expert who can help get you back to Top Rated status as soon as possible. I encourage you to schedule your appointment today!

Track your status in your new seller dashboard
Starting the week of April 16, you'll get an up-to-date preview of how you're tracking toward the new standards in your new seller dashboard. Your dashboard will be fully updated with the new standards on August 20.

Where to focus based on your recent selling
In the meantime, based on your recent selling history and the factors included in the new defect rate, pay special attention to these basic services all buyers expect:

Note, the new defect rate is designed simply to identify transactions where something was not quite right. Each transaction can only count once toward your defect rate, regardless of the number of defects associated with it. When your buyers consistently get the items they expect when they expect them, your defect rate will reflect it—so focus on the basics of good customer service.

Capture sales with easy returns
Recent and future updates to eBay hassle-free returns—including a clear message to buyers on your item page—makes it easier than ever to win more potential sales with your confidence-inspiring return policy.

Category and item specifics updates
As always, changes to categories and item specifics are included with the rest of seller updates. Changes are coming the week of April 7 in these categories.
Find out if your listings are affected.

Business & Industrial
Cell Phones and Accessories
Clothing, Shoes & Accessories
Coins & Paper Money
Collectibles
Dolls & Bears
Health & Beauty
Home & Garden
Jewelry & Watches
Motors
Pet Supplies
Sporting Goods
Sports Memorabilia
Stamps
Travel

More information

Get details on the 2014 Spring Seller Update.
Use the Seller Checklist to stay on top of important dates.
Find out how you can update your listings quickly and efficiently with
bulk editing tools.
For additional insight, you're also invited to talk with members of my staff during the next two days on a special discussion board we've set up for this purpose. Join me and other leaders from eBay in a Town Hall meeting on Wednesday, March 12, from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm PST.
Register now for a special online workshop for valuable tips on what you can do right now to stay on top with the new standards. Chose the date that's best for you: Thursday, March 13, 1:00 pm PST
Wednesday, March 26, 11:00 am PST.

As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
Michael Jones
Vice President,
Merchant Development
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 03-12-2014

Longevity: 80%
Default Re: New eBay Performance Standards, are they serious ?!?

Isn't this better, it will be easier to get and maintain TRS this way. I myself don't have a lot of returns and idiot buyers won't be able to damage you by leaving 1 star for no reason and have you lose your trs
Old 03-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 68%

It definitely is not better. The order defect program essentially adds to the list of things that can officially damage your account, disqualify you from TRS status, decrease your position in the search results, and drop you to below standard. Thereby giving buyers lots more power and taking what little power sellers have away from us.

In the real world, an order defect rate of 2-5% is normal and would be a perfectly acceptable standard at a retail business, restaurant, or even your own website. But in the land of Ebay where it is riddled with scammers, impatient/paranoid nutcases, and your average buyer knows that they have you by the nads (and can hide behind a computer screen while making ridiculous demands), even maintaining a 8% defect rate can be quite difficult.

Account suspensions for below standard will become more common then ever. Even among people who provide good customer service, sell with integrity, and ship fast. One of the reasons for this is the customers will quickly figure out that they have more power then ever and the demands and scams will skyrocket. I expect to see at least a 30% increase in account suspensions by the end of the year.

Now creating stealth accounts will be more important then ever. Load up on those people; You are going to need them.

Last edited by Futuremogul888; 03-12-2014 at 01:24 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Futuremogul888 For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (03-12-2014), isitworththestress (07-25-2014), pokerpro (07-26-2014), Sausage (04-17-2014), skidevil1982 (07-17-2014), stanislav (03-23-2014), x2ruff4u (03-17-2014)
Old 03-12-2014
Threadstarter  

Well put my friend. I could not agree with you more. Whatever my actual defect rate is, I would say about 90% of the causing factors (most likely and mainly item not as described) are false and result from ignorance on behalf of the buyer.

I describe everything as if I was presenting my items to a cave man. Yes my items are so well described that even a cave man can buy them faithfully. I would say that in my listings but I would probably get a Vero TM violation from Geico...

Most of the time my buyers forget to do simple things like remove a battery tab from an electronic to allow the battery to make proper contact. I include photos, videos, and disclaimers that this must be done in order for the product to function yet I still receive a ton of "item not as described" cases on this exact issue.

I am stressing this but not as much as much as one would think. It's a continuing evolution. The strong will survive. I will be strong. Most here are strong as well! Work hard, play hard. Amen, goodnight!

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-13-2014 at 04:49 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hazy For This Useful Post:
deconstructorx (03-15-2014), maple sugar (03-13-2014), scotch (04-21-2014)
Old 03-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,069 Times in 2,169 Posts
Longevity: 81%

The biggest issue for me is the shipping time issue. It will no longer require a buyer to leave a low DSR for shipping time, eBay will be gathering them from tracking data. And with all of the glitches in the US Postal system, I do not see ANYONE keeping their TRS status.

I agree this is a total slap in the face to sellers.
Old 03-12-2014
Threadstarter  

I just saw recently that USPS will be giving more updates throughout the transit of parcels. I laughed...

Old 03-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 77%

They advertise now that they offer actual tracking, and not just Confirmation anymore.

It's still not reliable, as many employees at sort facilities don't scan everything.

The Following User Says Thank You to mercurial333 For This Useful Post:
jeffweico (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014
Executive [VIP]

Yeah. AND, my local sorting center closed maybe 6 months ago. The new one they are using for my area is a NIGHTMARE! Packages check in, but they don't check out! They sometimes go mysteriously missing for a week or so. JUST ENOUGH time to get me smacked around by the customer. I have complained, but I doubt it will do anything. Either they are overloaded, or the employees are pissed because of the lost jobs. Either way, I lose!

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-13-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 03-13-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
Yeah. AND, my local sorting center closed maybe 6 months ago. The new one they are using for my area is a NIGHTMARE! Packages check in, but they don't check out! They sometimes go mysteriously missing for a week or so. JUST ENOUGH time to get me smacked around by the customer. I have complained, but I doubt it will do anything. Either they are overloaded, or the employees are pissed because of the lost jobs. Either way, I lose!
Same here... I don't even get my mail every day anymore. I am lucky if it comes once every three days. Half of the neighborhood is getting late payment notices because they never got their bills in the mail. Big mess
Old 03-14-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Did you approach your local center?

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-14-2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-16-2014

Longevity: 75%

What about free postage (the cheap & small stuff that ships without tracked info - standard parcels etc.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffweico View Post
The biggest issue for me is the shipping time issue. It will no longer require a buyer to leave a low DSR for shipping time, eBay will be gathering them from tracking data. And with all of the glitches in the US Postal system, I do not see ANYONE keeping their TRS status.

I agree this is a total slap in the face to sellers.
Old 03-16-2014

Regarding the Returns changes - do you think they will make you specify where to return items on your ad/page?
This would require all accounts to have a relevant / usable / different address.
Are they going to try to automate this process further?
If so, this will be a pain for some
Old 03-16-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Did you approach your local center?
Yes, of course. I told the lady who runs our local post office. She told me they have a LOT of complaints about that sorting center and that USPS is working on the problem. Of course, she has no specific information and it is not her fault.

The problem is that eBay will not give a damn. I will go from being a TRS to a problem seller, all though no fault of my own.
Old 03-17-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

Reminds me of being a Teacher. They expect too damn much out of us.
Old 03-19-2014

Longevity: 58%
Default About Ebay Spring Seller Update!

Hi Everyone, I received this message on my account that i can no longer sell on, does this mean my account will be reinstated and i can start selling again?

Spring Seller Update: New seller standards reward great service

Dear chris18181:

Updates coming to seller performance standards will recognize and reward sellers who are most responsible for keeping buyers on eBay.

Starting with the regularly scheduled August 20 seller evaluation, a new measurement, your transaction defect rate, will replace the current four detailed seller rating requirements used to evaluate your seller performance.

Your defect rate is simply the percentage of your transactions over the most recent evaluation period with one or more of the top predictors that a buyer will leave eBay or purchase less, such as an opened eBay Money Back Guarantee case, a return because the item wasn't as described, or negative or neutral feedback.
As of the last seller evaluation on February 20, your defect rate is above the 5% maximum expected of eBay sellers. I encourage you to start now on some focused improvements to lower it.
A low defect rate is important because it indicates whether your buyers consistently receive the item they expect, when they expect it. Buyers won't see your defect rate, but eBay will. With a defect rate higher than 5%, your listings won't have an optimal position Best Match search results. You may be also be notified of limits or restrictions to your selling privileges when the new requirement takes effect August 20.

I know you want to provide great service to your buyers. Please take some time to get familiar with the new performance standards—especially tips for maintaining a low defect rate.

Track your status in your new seller dashboard
Starting the week of April 16, you'll get an up-to-date preview of how you're tracking toward the new standards in your new seller dashboard. Your dashboard will be fully updated with the new standards on August 20.

Where to focus based on your recent selling
In the meantime, based on your recent selling history and the factors included in the new defect rate, pay special attention to these basic services all buyers expect:
Have enough stock: It's especially important to have the item on hand to ship. Keep your multi-quantity listings up to date and in synch with your inventory.
Note, the new defect rate is designed simply to identify transactions where something was not quite right. Each transaction can only count once toward your defect rate, regardless of the number of defects associated with it. When your buyers consistently get the items they expect when they expect them, your defect rate will reflect it—so focus on the basics of good customer service.
Capture sales with easy returns
Recent and future updates to eBay hassle-free returns—including a clear message to buyers on your item page—makes it easier than ever to win more potential sales with your confidence-inspiring return policy.

More information
Get details on the 2014 Spring Seller Update.
Use the Seller Checklist to stay on top of important dates.
Find out how you can update your listings quickly and efficiently with
bulk editing tools.
For additional insight, you're also invited to talk with members of my staff during the next two days on a special discussion board we've set up for this purpose. Join me and other leaders from eBay in a Town Hall meeting on Wednesday, March 12, from 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm PST.
Register now for a special online workshop for valuable tips on what you can do right now to stay on top with the new standards. Chose the date that's best for you: Thursday, March 13, 1:00 pm PST
Wednesday, March 26, 11:00 am PST.
As always, thank you for selling on eBay.

Sincerely,
Michael Jones
Vice President,
Merchant Development

Last edited by GreenBean; 03-19-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,021 Times in 709 Posts
Default Re: About Ebay Spring Seller Update!

I highly doubt it.

Its an automated message sent out to all of the accounts.
But if the account has had issues in the past, ive noticed the headers vary from your message to "You're in great shape"

I get the message you received on accounts that Ive had cases on in the past 2 months.

But accounts that have none get the great shape message.
Old 03-19-2014

Longevity: 62%

I saw something somewhere else that said with this update ebay wants to see actual scans and moving of the package on the first day. I guess too many sellers were uploading false or printing out the labels and not actually shipping it. How can we make usps actually scan and move the item on the first day.
Old 03-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 61%

This won't work at all. I'm speaking from experience. Had an account indefinitely suspended. Sent me this message telling me how great of a seller I am blah blah blah. Then when I tried to list an item, said I can't list.
Old 03-19-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
I saw something somewhere else that said with this update ebay wants to see actual scans and moving of the package on the first day. I guess too many sellers were uploading false or printing out the labels and not actually shipping it. How can we make usps actually scan and move the item on the first day.
You gotta bring it in front at the counter, meaning waiting in line.

I drop in the back, so first scan is at the Sort Facility in my state ( If I'm lucky ).
Old 03-19-2014
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 69%
Longevity: 91%

Look, eBay is on crack. Don't believe all the emails and claims they say.

The only way to be sure is to log in and check yourself.

Sorry to burst your bubble.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
x2ruff4u (03-20-2014)
Old 03-22-2014
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial333 View Post
You gotta bring it in front at the counter, meaning waiting in line.

I drop in the back, so first scan is at the Sort Facility in my state ( If I'm lucky ).
My Po let's me walk up in front of the line and leave at the counter. I guess if someone has more than 10 or so packages that could be a problem.
Old 03-22-2014
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by planes View Post
My Po let's me walk up in front of the line and leave at the counter. I guess if someone has more than 10 or so packages that could be a problem.
Sure you can leave them on the counter in the front, no need to stay in line for that, but they aren't scanned there.

Usually they will have a guy pick-up that stuff when too many pile up, a few times a day and bring it in the back. No acceptance scans still.

I guess suburb/villages and the sorts will operate differently, but in a big city where they are understaffed and there is lots of traffic, no such thing in my experience.