EBAY / VAT new legislation - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Subscriber's Area > Subscriber Discussions

Subscriber Discussions The juicy stuff...

Old 12-18-2014

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 67%
Default EBAY / VAT new legislation

hi all

any one any ideas how to get a VAT number but with the stealth details? been onto HMRC and its asking for national insurance number etc ?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-18-2014
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,935 Times in 8,226 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%
Default Re: EBAY / VAT new legislation

Don't think stealth is applicable to VAT and other government-related issues...that's illegal
The Following User Says Thank You to rsot For This Useful Post:
RosieTosie (01-20-2015)
Old 12-18-2014
Threadstarter  

Default Re: EBAY UK / VAT new legislation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Don't think stealth is applicable to VAT and other government-related issues...that's illegal

hi i understand this but they are going to start asking for VAT number, now this issue is it has to be on the stealth details etc, i dont mind paying the VAT etc
i have literally just crossed the threshold etc

but when ebay check the number it would need to be in the stealth details just wonders how others are going to over come this?
Old 12-18-2014

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas2012 View Post
hi i understand this but they are going to start asking for VAT number, now this issue is it has to be on the stealth details etc, i dont mind paying the VAT etc
i have literally just crossed the threshold etc

but when ebay check the number it would need to be in the stealth details just wonders how others are going to over come this?
Legally you have to be VAT registered 30 days prior to crossing the threshold
Old 12-18-2014
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callidus View Post
Legally you have to be VAT registered 30 days prior to crossing the threshold
hi within 30days is it not? so we just crossed it last week so 30days from then i need to notify them?

issue being its all the stealth details so literally unsure how to go about the VAT number?

i pay all taxes etc so havent an issue with paying vat
Old 12-28-2014

Longevity: 77%

The Op is correct in thinking he must register within 30 days of going over the threshold, you are supposed to register 30 days before you "expect to go over" but as that is a grey area the official line is you must register within 30 days of going over.

I would say to register as a LTD company then the attached VAT number will be that of the company name and not your own so no need to worry about stealth.

Remember that stealth is ok for ebay and paypal but don't go doing anything illegal with it.
Old 12-31-2014
MU

Longevity: 65%

I have not seen any information come out of EBay regarding them requiring users to be VAT registered. Is this something they are requiring or just suggesting if you reach the threshold?

I am assuming they are going to be like Amazon who just says, they are not responsible for any taxes and to contact a tax attorney to see what VAT you are responsible for etc.

OR has Ebay stated they are going to require VAT numbers for accounts that hit certain revenue thresholds?
Old 01-19-2015
MU

Longevity: 65%

I have just gotten a message from Ebay as follows:

"eBay has been notified that your listings are not compliant with UK local law (and eBay policies) due to your failure to display a valid VAT number on your listings. Please go into My eBay > Account > Site preferences > Business seller preferences and update your details to include a valid VAT number. Please ensure that a valid VAT number is displayed on all listings by 23 January 2015. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in eBay taking appropriate action on your listings and account, in accordance with the eBay User Agreement. Please note that this may involve removing the non-compliant listings and the suspension of your eBay account until the legally required information is provided."

I am not sure how this i not all over the forums, has anyone had this happen and just not put a VAT number in and seen what happened? I have a US company so we just pay VAT on import and do not remit the 20% as we do not include it in our selling price. We have an EORI number for import to the UK but no VAT number. I am stumped with what to do with this as we don't have anywhere near 20% margins to give up 20% of our selling price.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
Old 01-20-2015

Longevity: 55%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09823852 View Post
I have just gotten a message from Ebay as follows:

"eBay has been notified that your listings are not compliant with UK local law (and eBay policies) due to your failure to display a valid VAT number on your listings. Please go into My eBay > Account > Site preferences > Business seller preferences and update your details to include a valid VAT number. Please ensure that a valid VAT number is displayed on all listings by 23 January 2015. Failure to comply with this requirement will result in eBay taking appropriate action on your listings and account, in accordance with the eBay User Agreement. Please note that this may involve removing the non-compliant listings and the suspension of your eBay account until the legally required information is provided."

I am not sure how this i not all over the forums, has anyone had this happen and just not put a VAT number in and seen what happened? I have a US company so we just pay VAT on import and do not remit the 20% as we do not include it in our selling price. We have an EORI number for import to the UK but no VAT number. I am stumped with what to do with this as we don't have anywhere near 20% margins to give up 20% of our selling price.

Does anyone have any thoughts?
With normal tax returns invoices, receipts, etc., are all presented to whoever to whoever is dealing with the tax affairs of anyone required to submit a tax return in the UK, not sure if there is anything similar with VAT!