Debt collection letter! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 08-03-2015
Subscribed [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 51%
Default Debt collection letter!

just saw that i had a letter from ebay regarding unpaid fees!

however i haven't sold on ebay since April and i had paid all my fees then!! suddenly i have to pay £68!

Im 17, can i use this in anyway to my advantage?
Can i pay Ebay directly and avoid the debt collectors fees?

God i fcking hate Ebay, i could understand if i had sold stuff but i have ebay fees for july and i haven't sold jack ****.

Opinions (btw this is my real account)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Debt collection letter!

If you can work out which account its for then yes you can log into the eBay and pay them directly.
Old 08-03-2015

Longevity: 78%

what about clawbacks you had any ebay returns?

Just check your account to see what the fees are for.
Old 08-03-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,936 Times in 8,227 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

If it's gone to debt collectors....possible that your credit history has been hit....just saying
Old 08-04-2015

Longevity: 64%
Send a message via ICQ to easy.bake.oven

Dude, don't mess up your credit history at such a young age. You will regret it later on in life.

If its at your real address with your real details, you need to pay this off asap.

If you are planning to pay them, give them a courtesy call and get it sorted and more than likely they will say they will make is so it does not effect your credit rating.

Good luck with your get rich quick schemes.

The best way to make money is the legit way.
Old 08-04-2015

Longevity: 56%

If these are genuine fees, then pay them.

You can studly a little law if you want, if you may find a loop hole. Ebay states that under 18 you can use their service but have to have supervision from you parent or guardian.

You can therefore claim your mum is a crack addict and is mentally retarded and didn't supervise correctly and see if it will wash. (just an example but you can be creative)

Personally, for the some, and if its completely legit, just pay it, its not worth the stress for £68. That amount will rise when they pass it over to a collection agency.
Old 08-04-2015

Longevity: 54%

I told you to be careful as you are underage in one of the first threads you put on this forum.

WHAT YOU DO NOW, AS A CHILD, WILL IMPACT YOURSELF AND YOUR CREDIT HISTORY FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

Keep doing what you are doing, such things as using 'minors' bank accounts for activity only allowed for over 18's and you will be on the CIFAS list quicker than stevebills can say "I have been limited again".

Now you have 2 choices.

Pay a few quid so the debt on your credit file shows as satisfied.(if it hasn't gone that far then you are OK.) Really you need to check your credit report to see what is on there, but not sure if you have to be 18+ to do this?

Don't pay it. Google one of the consumer debt forums for the template letters to send out. You basically say you don't recognise the debt, please send me a copy of the contract to show that I am obliged to it. The debt collectors then have to do this, if accompanied by the correct letter templates. You will then be able to wriggle out of it as you are under 18.......but there may be consequences to that.

Only you can make your mind up what to do.

Last edited by realdeals; 08-04-2015 at 05:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to realdeals For This Useful Post:
Trustfund (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
If these are genuine fees, then pay them.

You can studly a little law if you want, if you may find a loop hole. Ebay states that under 18 you can use their service but have to have supervision from you parent or guardian.
Just to clarify.......you can use ebay under 18 to buy if under adult supervision, using an adults account:

'You must be at least 18 years old to be an eBay member. A person under 18 can use an adult's account with the permission of the account holder. However, the account holder is responsible for everything done with that account'.

However to have your own account and sell, you need to be 18 or over due to signing legally binding contracts:

'.....you need to be at least 18 years old to register on eBay because eBay is available only to individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. '
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to realdeals For This Useful Post:
Trustfund (08-04-2015), wired (08-04-2015)
Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeals View Post
Just to clarify.......you can use ebay under 18 to buy if under adult supervision, using an adults account:

'You must be at least 18 years old to be an eBay member. A person under 18 can use an adult's account with the permission of the account holder. However, the account holder is responsible for everything done with that account'.

However to have your own account and sell, you need to be 18 or over due to signing legally binding contracts:

'.....you need to be at least 18 years old to register on eBay because eBay is available only to individuals who can form legally binding contracts under applicable law. '
Ah yes, good call.

So as I said, and you did, there are easy ways out of this. But to be hones for £70, id just pay the bill and not worry about it. Its pocket money really.
Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Ah yes, good call.

So as I said, and you did, there are easy ways out of this. But to be hones for £70, id just pay the bill and not worry about it. Its pocket money really.
Absolutely, although I would definitely check the credit file first. If a default is already listed, then I would be more inclined to dispute it.
Old 08-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Thank you all for your responses.

i don't mind paying the money that's not the problem, i just thought they had completely fcked up and given me someone elses fee as i haven't sold anything since april.

apparently its to do with a "reimbursement" for what i dont know as nobody has contacted me about anything and i still have 100% positive feedback. i tried contacting ebay but they dont have a phone number for that department (so convenient)
i only found out about the debt because i got a letter about it from an agency.

i will pay ebay the £52 and not the agency.

i will phone them after and plead (and play dumb) hopefully get them to keep this off my credit file.

If i pay Ebay and not the agency will they be more inclined to "punish me" and put this on my record?
Old 08-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by realdeals View Post
Absolutely, although I would definitely check the credit file first. If a default is already listed, then I would be more inclined to dispute it.
How do i go about checking my credit file?
Old 08-04-2015
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%

Experian are generally the best IMO
Old 08-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
Experian are generally the best IMO
Thanks James i just tried that, I put in my date of birth and i got a message saying that i need to be at least 18 years of age........
Old 08-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

interesting....... i just phoned the debt collection company and they've told me that they have given my case back to ebay because im u18 and they cant deal with minors.

what does this mean?
Old 08-04-2015

Sounds like you have had a PayPAl dispute that a buyer won, where that money has come from. Id ring PayPal.

Is this account limited, or ebay account suspendeD?
Old 08-04-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trustfund View Post
interesting....... i just phoned the debt collection company and they've told me that they have given my case back to ebay because im u18 and they cant deal with minors.

what does this mean?
You're off the hook! Ebay might send some nasty letters, but thats about it.
Old 08-04-2015
Subscribed [VIP]
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Sounds like you have had a PayPAl dispute that a buyer won, where that money has come from. Id ring PayPal.

Is this account limited, or ebay account suspendeD?
would i at least have got an email if they had a dispute? honestly phoning paypal even on a real account is hard. 15 minutes of automation for them to tell me, sorry try talking to ebay.

my Paypal is limited because they found out im under 18 when i sent in my passport a while back.

And my Ebay is suspended because of the fees thing.

think i'll just pay ebay, so far this year i've been scammed out of £270 (didnt add tracking numbers, lesson learnt) whats another £50 gonna do .........sigh...........
Old 08-04-2015

Sounds like the dispute came after your suspension and was dealt with internally between ebay and PP, hence the fee.

If you pay it, you MAY get account reinstatement, so if its worth it to you to try, then pay it.

Yes ebay isnt known as 3bay for nothing! Its horrible the scamming that goes on...I suffer everyday.
Old 08-06-2015

Longevity: 66%

if a debt collector calls they can do nothing unless they have a court document. many companies sell their debts to debt recovery companies but these companies can do nothing apart from discussing the debt. a debt collector has no right to enter your premises. As a minor and alone you can call the police if you feel threatened. If you get a home visit don't let them in an dont answer them in any conversation video using your mobile phone. Look at you tube and people dealing with debt collectors and tv licence people as well as a great source of knowledge they are quite funny. Have you told your parents guardian carer about this yet ?
Old 08-06-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktech View Post
Have you told your parents guardian carer about this yet ?
Lol, If i had told my dad I had wracked up debts at 17, I would of been battered.