Introduction and advice/tips please. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 07-21-2016

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 45%
Thumbs up Introduction and advice/tips please.

Hello All!

I am new to the forum and would like to start by selling hello and from what I can see what a great forum this really is.

I am after some advice before I start my UK eBay selling business in the next 2-3 weeks. I have compiled some food for thought below and would greatly appreciate any advice/tips from people that might be able to point me in the right direction.

Investment:
Start with an initial £5,000 investment for stock purchasing, postage costs etc. I would be looking to purchase around 2,000 units ranging from £0.25-£1.50, with the rest left over for postage and packaging costs.

Costs (Lower priced items):

Initially I am looking to sell lower priced products (£1.50-£5.00 incl. Free Postage). I have come to realise that the eBay fees are lower in certain categories such as ‘Technology’. I have done my fair share of eBay trawling to find products that seem to sell well and ‘seem’ to have a large enough profit margin in them.

Drop Shipping (Higher priced goods):

Higher priced items (£100-150)I would be looking to directly drop ship from Chinese selling sites (DHGate, Alibaba, Aliexpress, MadeinChina... Are there any others worth noting?). Obviously customs charges apply which will be integrated into the price ultimately. One thing I question is that many sellers offer tracked delivery on such items, and I know from experience with a DHGate for example that the suppliers offer this, but is this something buyers should have access to? I ask because obviously it may raise suspicions as and when I pay the customs duty and the package will be held at customs at that point and I question if this will be shown on the tracking information.

Best Chinese wholesale sites:
I have had dealings with DHGate in the past and have been quite successful with the quality of stock and transactions. Whoever there are numerous other sites which seem similar. Have people had dealings with these other sites and how to the Pro’s and Con’s weigh up against each other?
Also in relation to this, do people use other countries sites for other reasons and if so what countries?

Postage (Small/lower priced items):
When selling lower priced items (£1.50-£5.00) I know it is beneficial to include the postage inside the total price of each product. But to send a letter sized object it costs £0.55 per item. Obviously this has a large effect on my profits. Would anybody be able to suggest another means of doing this, or perhaps they offer certain services cheaper in such scenarios?

PayPal Fees (Lower priced items):

When buying and selling low priced goods, the 2.9% + £0.20, seems very extravagant to say the least as on a product which sells at £1.50 suddenly I will be hit with 10% eBay fee, £0.55 Royal mail postage cost, £0.10 packaging (Roughly) and then 2.9% + £0.20 for Paypal fees. So ultimately from selling a £1.50 product I will be left with £0.46 minus the cost of the product itself.

PayPal accounts (Pro’s vs. Con’s):

Having more than one PayPal account -What are the benefits involved in doing this?

Man Power:

Using readily available employees overseas to run the day to day listings and messages received across the eBay site (Low cost). My main concern with this would be that their IP address etc would be pointing towards a non-UK country and therefore may cause suspicions. Postage from Europe for example takes a matter of days. So therefore could I be running a UK eBay account, buying in goods to a European address and then using the cheap labour to individually package up the stock and send them directly to my customers? Is this something which people on here might have done?

Selling across the different eBay platforms:

Costs involved? Obviously this affects postage costs a great deal. Is the general rule of thumb that if that if you have a eBay UK account you solely sell to the UK market? My only thought being that by opening up to a larger audience and selling across several eBay sites and being able to post abroad would create a larger target market for goods.

Customs charges when buying stock in from overseas:
After some research I have found that DHL although are meant to be faster delivery times and subsequently more expensive, they have a higher chance of being stopped by customs and therefore incurring a charge. After reading into this I have found that EMS Packaging takes around 8 days from the larger suppliers and is less damaging on the wallet, and is less likely to incur customs fees. Is this the case?

eBay Argos Click and Collect service:
How does this work? Maybe I am not looking in the correct places, but there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of information regarding this online. When trawling through eBay in search of possible products to invest in I have come to realise that more and more traders are offering this service. I understand to be using this service eBay have to offer it to you, and you must give potential buyers to opportunity of having ‘FREE P+P’ but what costs are entailed if they were to use the click and collect service?

UK Bank accounts:
Are any UK banks preferred over others? - If so why? (I’ve heard Lloyds ask alot of questions which may not be ideal).

Stealth Accounts:
Why does everyone seem to do this? What are the benefits versus just opening an ordinary eBay business account in my own name attached to my own banking etc?

Worth opening a business account or several private accounts under different names linked to different PayPals and different bank accounts?  Is this possible???

Thank you all in advance!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-21-2016
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 5,198 Times in 3,996 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 63%
Default Re: Introduction and advice/tips please.

Investment: That is a good solid amount to start with

Drop Shipping: Will people be aware that you are drop shipping? eBay and PayPal both have an issue with drop shipping. Things often go wrong (quality being poor, item take 3/4 weeks to arrive, tracking not working). What happens when items need to be returned?

Postage: Have a look at Royal Mail PPI

PayPal accounts: PayPal to eBay ration should be 1:1. PayPal will allow you to have 2 accounts. One for personal use one for business use. I would still suggest only linking 1 to each eBay though

Selling across the different eBay platforms: After getting enough feedback you can list worldwide. You do have increase costs when it comes to postage though

Customs charges when buying stock in from overseas: You don't get extra customs charges with DHL v anyone else. You just have to make sure you pay the correct import charges.

UK Bank accounts: If the account is in your own name any bank is fine. If its not in your own name then avoid Lloyds and TSB

Stealth Accounts: eBay accounts have selling limits. If you want to sell say 1000 items a month and your eBay account can only sell 100 items a month then you would have an issue. This is where stealth accounts help. You can use 10 accounts to sell 100 items each and get around those limits and also increase your exposure on eBay
Old 07-21-2016
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 45%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNorth101 View Post
Investment: That is a good solid amount to start with

Drop Shipping: Will people be aware that you are drop shipping? eBay and PayPal both have an issue with drop shipping. Things often go wrong (quality being poor, item take 3/4 weeks to arrive, tracking not working). What happens when items need to be returned?

Postage: Have a look at Royal Mail PPI

PayPal accounts: PayPal to eBay ration should be 1:1. PayPal will allow you to have 2 accounts. One for personal use one for business use. I would still suggest only linking 1 to each eBay though

Selling across the different eBay platforms: After getting enough feedback you can list worldwide. You do have increase costs when it comes to postage though

Customs charges when buying stock in from overseas: You don't get extra customs charges with DHL v anyone else. You just have to make sure you pay the correct import charges.

UK Bank accounts: If the account is in your own name any bank is fine. If its not in your own name then avoid Lloyds and TSB

Stealth Accounts: eBay accounts have selling limits. If you want to sell say 1000 items a month and your eBay account can only sell 100 items a month then you would have an issue. This is where stealth accounts help. You can use 10 accounts to sell 100 items each and get around those limits and also increase your exposure on eBay

Hi JamesNorth101,

Thank you for your prompt and informative reply, what a great first response!! This is exactly what I have been looking for

Drop Shipping: I intend not to advertise the fact that I am drop shipping. But instead I will be looking to state in the listing itself that shipping may take up to 2 weeks, which points buyers in the direction that the products are more than likely not coming from the UK. Quality of goods and tracking/postage times I understand are an issue, but one that I hope to find the right suppliers to try and lower these risks if possible. With regards to returning items I have been informed (By looking through the forum) that on the returns part of the eBay account you are able to put the returns address as a PO Box and that would be my intentions.

Postage: I will check this out!

PayPal accounts: Okay, so ultimately it is definitely worth opening multiple accounts of both PayPal to eBay and rationing them 1:1. How does this co-inside with banking? As I thought you were only able to link one persons bank details to one PayPal account or is this incorrect?

Selling across the different eBay platforms:
Okay, I suppose this would be my intentions, but I would need to be clever ad realistic about postage costs so that I am not stung by huge bills on low cost items.

Customs charges when buying stock in from overseas:
Perfect. I was informed by a few Chinese sellers that they would list the goods as being worth less on the customs notice and therefore lowering my cost when paying the import charges. Is this the sort of thing that happens alot?

UK Bank accounts:
Understood! I'm struggling to get my head around how I would use someone elses name currently, but I am sure after reading further into it I must be able to find the answer.

Stealth Accounts:
Okay this is clearer to me. However is this mainly for XXXX trading? If for normal day to day products I am guessing there arn't huge advantages against using these against using a large 'Anchor' Business account? Or am I still missing the point? Sorry if I'm coming across as being a numpty, it's just hard to get my head around.

Thanks Again!!
Old 07-21-2016

Thanked 1,655 Times in 1,333 Posts
Longevity: 67%

Investment:
Be wary of technology items. They have lucrative profit margins, huge competition, and most of all, depending on your supplier, potentially could be prone to fault few months down the line, and your going to be responsible for replacing/refunding those.

I would avoid this niche, start somewhere safe, anything compared to technology is pretty much safe.

Man Power:
Issue here is trust. You can give your employees their own login to details to access PayPal, and limit what they can do with a PayPal business account. But for eBay its a completely different story, as they would have full access. I am not aware of ebay offering the same as PayPal.
HOWEVER - there you can use a 3rd party tool to do this.

IP - If you use a 3rd party tool (maybe inkfrog), I dont see IP being an issue. But if you dont, consider a VPN.

eBay Argos Click and Collect service:
Very early stages, most eBay employees don't even know how this all works, believe me! Give it a few more months, it should roll out on a wider scale.