New foldable phones. What do you think about them? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 03-12-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 37%
Default New foldable phones. What do you think about them?

Have you seen the new foldable phone from Huawei and Samsung? I think this is the dorkiest idea in the smartphone era.

Take a look at this statistic:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...es-comparison/

It compares sales numbers for iPad, iPod & iPhone. It's clear as the sun that the majority of people were buying a normal smartphone. People usually buy iPads when they really need them, say a college student...etc

So why would an average person spend double or triple the money to get something that is dorky as f**k (in my opinion)

Carrying a truly thick smartphone around in your pocket that weighs double what a smartphone does is kinda odd too.

The problem with the tech industry is that they are always looking for a new way to impress people. They have reached a dead end in terms of how a smartphone should look, so they developed a foldable smartphone that turns into a tablet

I like to compare the smartphone industry to the auto industry. You see, cars became commercially available in late 18th / early 19th century. From that time companies have worked and invested too much to make cars safer, more reliable, faster...etc, but the design idea is basically the same. Cars from the 1960s kinda have the same design principle compared to nowadays ones.

Web browsers became popular in the 90s and developed a lot in the last 10 years. (Principle stayed the same as well)

So there are different products/industries where you can spot this pattern. A product comes to life, progresses along the way and ends up being a part of everyday life (cars - laptops - TVs - E-mail - Washing machines - Printers...etc).

So I reached the conclusion that smartphones are also here to stay and nothing will actually replace them. People are so damn attached to these devices and they won't give them up for a smart glasses or a bendable (uncomfortably wearable) wrist-watch that unfolds into a screen

What are your thoughts on this?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-07-2019

Default Re: New foldable phones. What do you think about them?

I'm not gonna read your entire post, but Samsung just delayed the release of theirs because the piece of shiit was coming apart at the fold lol
Old 05-07-2019
Threadstarter  

Smartphones with foldable screens are an invention nobody asked for!! I heard Samsung has been developing this device for the last 9 years or something.

I think the smartphone industry has hit its plateau. Now they're realizing it is all about the software and not the hardware. I love that business model to be honest, you release a phone and make it obsolete 3 or 4 years after its release simply by updating its software.

I was kinda worried that smartphones will no longer exist in the future and thus my niche will be dead. I realized I was wrong big time as soon as I looked into future potential replacements (e.g: smart glasses, smart watches, VR...etc).
Old 05-07-2019

Longevity: 54%

1st gen idea phones are always filled with problems............i remember when I bought a brand new samsung galaxy 2..........it was terrible compared to the samsung s8-10 models.......

if you get the 1st gen phone get full warranty.......
Old 05-07-2019

Longevity: 34%

Casting is gonna be huge I think. You wont have a desktop or laptop anymore, everything will be run off a handheld device that 'throws' live video feeds to screens around the house - OR public. At least that's my stoner fantasy for the day.
Old 05-07-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspot144 View Post
Casting is gonna be huge I think. You wont have a desktop or laptop anymore, everything will be run off a handheld device that 'throws' live video feeds to screens around the house - OR public. At least that's my stoner fantasy for the day.

I don't think anything in my lifetime would replace desktop computers or laptops. They are so much essential for real hard work.

Steve Jobs thought that the tablet will replace laptops Do you see how companies are selling keyboards for tablets? I mean what is the point of that if you could simply use a laptop instead
Old 05-07-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Samsung just canceled and postponed the launch of their foldable phone indefinitely.
Something tells me the tech is not quite ready yet...
The Following User Says Thank You to slokor For This Useful Post:
Sunspot144 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkingupwards View Post
I don't think anything in my lifetime would replace desktop computers or laptops. They are so much essential for real hard work.

Steve Jobs thought that the tablet will replace laptops Do you see how companies are selling keyboards for tablets? I mean what is the point of that if you could simply use a laptop instead
Lot of people out there that aren't very tech savy or have lots of reasons to use a desktop every day. I think they own laptops and phones mostly (tablets too, dont see a lot of them here). If the device could be user-friendly and marketed like apple marketed their stuff it could be possible.

Over-exaggerating it'd replace PCs in this lifetime. But IDK, it's possible you could walk into your living room with your phone, turn the TV on and flick/"cast" the phone screen onto the TV screen. TV screens wouldnt be more than giant tablets on stands essentially lol.
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by slokor View Post
Samsung just canceled and postponed the launch of their foldable phone indefinitely.
I dont see any benefits of a foldable phone other than 'hey, check out what we can do with phones' until the tech can serve another purpose...
Old 05-07-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Over-exaggerating it'd replace PCs in this lifetime. But IDK, it's possible you could walk into your living room with your phone, turn the TV on and flick/"cast" the phone screen onto the TV screen. TV screens wouldnt be more than giant tablets on stands essentially lol.

You seem like a futurephile
Old 05-07-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
TV screens wouldnt be more than giant tablets on stands essentially lol.
That's exactly what they are now. Except non smart-TV's don't even have that much functionality..

About the thread, I still use my Kyocera flip phone from 2002.
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
You seem like a futurephile
Lol, Minority Report was an influential movie.
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
That's exactly what they are now. Except non smart-TV's don't even have that much functionality..

About the thread, I still use my Kyocera flip phone from 2002.
Both have tons of inputs / coords though. I'm thinking just a giant tablet with a power cord and some universal firmware to sync with recent gen devices. Youll stream netflicks, hulu, prime, screen share from your phone and tablet, but also your PC/laptop, gaming device, server, etc if you wanted.

Got my first smart phone last year lol.. Love it... control stereo from it, mining rig, HTPC, desktop, cast to smart tv and maybe 120" projector
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by slokor View Post
I can't seem to understand how samsung has billions of dollars........yet out of all this profit and money.....and huge headquarters with lots of employees yet comes out with a phone.......that literally gets messed up within a matter of a few days..........that goes to show you that everybody at the company does not give a sh1t about their job........

how did it get past all the checks and balances?

its honestly completely embarassing...........if I had money like that......their would be no doubt in my mind that when products come out their have been fully tried and tested without any compromises........

Last edited by H4ck; 05-07-2019 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
and maybe 120" projector
You were confused by my projector posts the other day, and now here you are making some of your own.
The Following User Says Thank You to ebaystealth1974 For This Useful Post:
Sunspot144 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 2,659 Times in 1,966 Posts
Activity: 8%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
I dont see any benefits of a foldable phone other than 'hey, check out what we can do with phones' until the tech can serve another purpose...
I 100% agree.
Especially the way they look and feel at the moment - like a box.
Theyre trying to force a new trend into being and not even bothering to make sure that the technology is there to support it.
Guess theres lots of pressure to come up with the next big thing to gain more marketshare.
The Following User Says Thank You to slokor For This Useful Post:
Sunspot144 (05-07-2019)
Old 05-07-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebaystealth1974 View Post
You were confused by my projector posts the other day, and now here you are making some of your own.
Yeaaa, the motorized projector screens really sold me... lol.

All sources said 4k content vs 1080p at under 65" there's literally no difference unless you're sitting like 2-3ft from the screen. TVs over 65" are just stupid to move around.

BenQ has a true 4k HDR projecter for $1100... up to 300" screen..

A 80"+ 4k tv is just stupid lol...

Old 05-07-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck View Post
I can't seem to understand how samsung has billions of dollars........yet out of all this profit and money.....and huge headquarters with lots of employees yet comes out with a phone.......that literally gets messed up within a matter of a few days..........that goes to show you that everybody at the company does not give a sh1t about their job........

how did it get past all the checks and balances?

its honestly completely embarassing...........if I had money like that......their would be no doubt in my mind that when products come out their have been fully tried and tested without any compromises........

These companies are giant empires of bureaucracy and bureaucracy is capable of producing deadly mistakes.
Old 05-08-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
These companies are giant empires of bureaucracy and bureaucracy is capable of producing deadly mistakes.
Or crazy innovation...
Old 05-08-2019

It just amazes me......no matter how many brains and money are put together their are still mistakes regardless.......
Old 05-08-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by H4ck View Post
It just amazes me......no matter how many brains and money are put together their are still mistakes regardless.......
Segways failed so hard they killed the guy who bought the business, lol.
Old 05-08-2019

Quote:

BenQ has a true 4k HDR projecter for $1100... up to 300" screen..

BenQ TK800 Review - Budget 4K HDR Projector - YouTube
If that's the projector you're saying is true 4k, it's not. It's 1080P, but uses some sort of pixel duplication trickery to achieve 4k. People say it looks good, though!

There's a lot of reading to do, if having an ACTUAL 4K projector means something to you. Some of the faux 4K projectors display a nice image, though!