I have a valid # - Why won’t it allow me to pass check? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Stealth Topics > Phone Number Verification

Phone Number Verification Discussions on phone number verification, virtual numbers, TracFone, Google Voice, forwarding and more.

Old 05-11-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 28%
Default I have a valid # - Why won’t it allow me to pass check?

Good Evening - long time lurker, first time posting. I have scoured past threads & cannot find any specific info regarding my issue.

I have experience with EB & PP stealth, always tread carefully & don’t get greedy. I have been operating the same EB & PP stealth account for nearly 2 years. Originally purchased thru BuyVCC. I’ve followed their instructions to the letter and have not experienced any suspensions or problems before now. I have sold over $10k on this account, & slowly increased my withdrawals totaling $7500 over the last 2 years. I have several thousand left in this account that I attempted to withdraw, but was hit with the Quick Security Check for the first time ever today. This is not the typical check question, though...

Up until a week or so ago, I had perfect feedback on the EB account, never experienced any holds or delays on payments/withdrawals in PP. However, i got a bad batch of products from a supplier. Despite refunds & providing great customer service - I racked up 4 negative feedbacks within a week. I pretty much assumed this account was done at that point & went to withdraw the bulk of my $ from PP. I had withdrawn much more than this in the past with no security check or issues of any kind. This time i’m Hit with the security check requirement. I’ve had the same google voice number on this account since the beginning. It’s never lapsed, I’ve always kept it up to date - so I had no concerns when selecting to send a text to confirm my identity. To my surprise, PP wouldn’t even attempt it. I got a message stating “We couldn’t verify it’s you, select another option” before even entering a specific number. It’s not that the # isn’t valid or I entered it wrong. PP wouldn’t attempt it, like they’ve blocked me from using that method for some reason.

The only other options are to confirm some personal info (not the questions setup on the account, but the credit bureau related questions they pull from a public data file on you.) OR enter a SSN. Neither option will work obviously. I can’t give my SSN due to previous account & there won’t be any personal info to find due to it being a stealth account.

So I’m stuck. Some details about my setup: I’ve always used the same legit IP with no issues ever. No data has been recently changed, all info on these accounts has been the same for years. I’ve withdrawn $ many many times with no problems. No strikes or other seller performance issues. The google voice # is fully functional, working with no issues. The PP is setup with my real name, but address is not my real address. My real debit card is linked to the account.

Unless it’s due to the feedback & a newfound perceived risk, I do not understand why it won’t allow the option of sending a text to my valid GV number. I’m lost — have I also lost my $$$ forever? Assistance is greatly appreciated.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 43%
Default Re: I have a valid # - Why won’t it allow me to pass check?

A lot has changed with PayPal's security system just in the last few months.

I know you have had no issues using that GV # on the account before, but you have tripped a security flag that will not allow this type of number to pass. Many others on this forum have experienced the same thing. The only real thing you can do at this point is wait for a "period of time" and hope it clears, or PayPal will insist on those identity verification questions to remove this flag on the account.

BTW, on a legitimate PayPal, these types of blocks are nearly always removed so long as you are put through those questions. Not an issue on a legitimate account with real identity, but on a stealth account, it's going to be a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to nickopedia For This Useful Post:
james_112233 (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019

Longevity: 62%

Ive ran into this problem before. What i did was port the number to a verizon cell phone. It was worth it to clear the error. I would port it to major cell phone company not 3rd party prepaid mvno.
dealagreeproceed (05-17-2019), nickopedia (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019
Threadstarter  

Thank you for the responses.
A couple thoughts, let me know what you think:

I have access to a couple other unused phone numbers, such as my business cell or my girlfriends business cell. These numbers have never been associated with any account. They are from major carriers, but obviously not under my personal name. It would be under my employer’s name. If added to the account and confirmed via text response, do you think PP would allow the quick security text to be sent to those numbers if setup as the primary? Or will it always default to sending it to the first number on the account (the GV #)?

@MikeTyson - By porting the number to a Verizon phone or another major carrier, do you mean buy a prepaid phone from a major carrier? Or actually setup full billed service with a major carrier? If the # the security check asks to send the text to doesn’t change for the scenario above, why would it change if I setup service thru a major carrier? Can you elaborate on how you went about it?

Last idea - I know several folks with legitimate PP accounts. Is it not possible to have them “send you an invoice for goods/services” and then pay it from my PP account? Or does it typically block anything like that once you’re in my situation?
Old 05-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
I have access to a couple other unused phone numbers, such as my business cell or my girlfriends business cell. These numbers have never been associated with any account. They are from major carriers, but obviously not under my personal name. It would be under my employer’s name. If added to the account and confirmed via text response, do you think PP would allow the quick security text to be sent to those numbers if setup as the primary? Or will it always default to sending it to the first number on the account (the GV #)?

The CNAM data wouldn't match up, which is presumably what Paypal is using to vet phone numbers, so I don't think that would be a magical solution. The only solution in the past has been adding a new "real" (not GV) number to your account, and then waiting a couple of months for the new phone number to show up as an option on the security check page.

Quote:
@MikeTyson - By porting the number to a Verizon phone or another major carrier, do you mean buy a prepaid phone from a major carrier? Or actually setup full billed service with a major carrier? If the # the security check asks to send the text to doesn’t change for the scenario above, why would it change if I setup service thru a major carrier? Can you elaborate on how you went about it?

I think he's implying that by porting the number to a major carrier he was able to get CNAM records for that number in his name. I just googled and it looks like there are a few services online that allow you to modify the CNAM data for a phone number without having to port it. Might be worth looking into, but I don't know if you'd be able to do that to a GV #.

Quote:
Last idea - I know several folks with legitimate PP accounts. Is it not possible to have them “send you an invoice for goods/services” and then pay it from my PP account? Or does it typically block anything like that once you’re in my situation?

Works sometimes, doesn't work other times. Depends on how much or how little trust Paypal has in your account at the moment. Definitely worth a shot.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
Gman91189 (05-22-2019), nickopedia (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

I forgot to mention.. if you choose to add a new phone number it will take a while for the new # to show up as an option on the security check page regardless of what kind of # you use.
Old 05-11-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
I forgot to mention.. if you choose to add a new phone number it will take a while for the new # to show up as an option on the security check page regardless of what kind of # you use.
But if that number doesn’t match my name it’s likely a futile exercise though, right?

I quickly searched for info on how to change cnam but didn’t see anything that looked legit. This is my first time dealing with this particular issue, though. I am continuing to search.
Old 05-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

I've never tried to modify CNAM but I saw a few sites mentioning that in the Google search so I figured I'd bring it up since it may or may not be an option.

Honestly, I think that in the time it takes for the new phone number to show up as an option the security restrictions on your account are eased so CNAM isn't an issue once you're actually given the option to text the new number. At least, that was my experience. When this happened to me I didn't have access to the original phone number so I added a GV # and waited like 6 months. Once the GV # started showing up as an option I was able to receive the verification text relatively easily. I think I had to have them "resend" the code before both codes showed up in my GV account.
Old 05-11-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
I've never tried to modify CNAM but I saw a few sites mentioning that in the Google search so I figured I'd bring it up since it may or may not be an option.

Honestly, I think that in the time it takes for the new phone number to show up as an option the security restrictions on your account are eased so CNAM isn't an issue once you're actually given the option to text the new number. At least, that was my experience. When this happened to me I didn't have access to the original phone number so I added a GV # and waited like 6 months. Once the GV # started showing up as an option I was able to receive the verification text relatively easily. I think I had to have them "resend" the code before both codes showed up in my GV account.
Thanks for the insight & feedback. I’m gonna give it a few months after adding my wife’s AT&T business phone then try again. If all else fails I guess I can see if I can just spend it all on purchases or have someone send me an invoice. I’ve had a bad habit of letting $2-3k buildup before withdrawing. Lesson learned. They certainly don’t make it easy on us folks do they...
Old 05-12-2019

Longevity: 62%

Yes add it to match you can try to use prepaid. In my case my names matched once the port was complete it worked the next day. I had another scenario that i was using a magicjack number. I couldnt get the security text. I ported it to tmobile and it instantly worked. You are free to try whatever you want. But im just sharing from experience.
dealagreeproceed (05-17-2019)
Old 05-12-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Yes add it to match you can try to use prepaid. In my case my names matched once the port was complete it worked the next day. I had another scenario that i was using a magicjack number. I couldnt get the security text. I ported it to tmobile and it instantly worked. You are free to try whatever you want. But im just sharing from experience.
I’ve gone back through the entire thread and read all the suggestions. I want to make sure I understand correctly as I’m new to this end. So @MikeTyson - are you saying I would need to go setup non-prepaid cell phone service with a major carrier in my name (go thru the credit check, contract, and all that). I should port the current Google Voice number to that carrier. Since that GV number ported to a major carrier is already the primary on PP there should be no waiting for it to be an option to text the verification code to. Then it should allow the text option after a few days?

Or try to port it to a prepaid # through a major carrier? If you think the prepaid route would work, could you please elaborate?

By the way - when porting the number, how does a phone provider know I am the owner of that Google Voice #? Is there some process to ensure that’s not someone else’s number?

Last edited by Shotgunblasting; 05-12-2019 at 09:18 AM.
Old 05-13-2019
Threadstarter  

I’m kinda lost on how to proceed next. I plan to follow the same method you did @MikeTyson. So you ported the # you previously had on file with PP to a major carrier in your name & the next day it allowed you to utilize the text option?
Old 05-16-2019
Threadstarter  

I’ve read several different places that the quick security check often resets after just a few days and will let you send a text verification code to a GV # when it previously would not just a few days prior. Does anyone have any experience with this? I don’t want to go on the account and try it again, I feel like any additional activity or attempts may look more suspicious and result in it taking that much longer for the security restrictions to ease. What do you think?