Amazon Account was hacked and bank deposit account was changed - Lost$ 1M - Page 2 - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Amazon

Amazon Amazon Suspension. General discussions on Amazon, suspensions, suspended, blocked, banned and more. Amazon Forum.

Old 05-17-2019
Threadstarter  

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 49%
Default Re: Amazon Account was hacked and bank deposit account was changed - Lost$ 1M

so the new bank account is unknown because AMZ won't give up the information (w/o warrant i guess)

so there is no way to know if the acct is in the usa or not.

as for the email notification it was marked as read INSIDE amazon so it went un-noticed

as for the email that was in replymanager it was filtered into a folder that no1 reads (over 20 reps reading emails)

i don't believe there was 2-step auth because you have multiple reps logging in daily to refund/manage the acct

so yea - it sux

i have 2 step auth on all my accts and manually review messages even if there is no notification every once it a while but after this i've been checking it every week
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-17-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,025 Times in 3,012 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: Amazon Account was hacked and bank deposit account was changed - Lost$ 1M

That's crazy, man. With this kind of money on the line I hope your friend has contacted some sort of authorities. Maybe the FBI's internet crimes unit? I know you said they won't do much.. but there's got to be something that can be done.

I also hope your buddy has closed out the old bank account previously attached to the AZ account since it's obviously been compromised.

I can understand AZ not allowing you to see the new bank info. You're required to know the account number, because if not anyone who gets access to an AZ account would be able to change the deposit bank account easily. Your buddy's problem is that his entire operation has been compromised. Somebody would have had to gain access to their online banking to get the account number before changing the AZ deposit account, right? They need to carefully reevaluate they way they're running everything from the ground up.
Old 05-17-2019

Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,040 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

Somebody would have had to gain access to their online banking to get the account number before changing the AZ deposit account, right? They need to carefully reevaluate they way they're running everything from the ground up
.-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is that so?
to change the AMZN deposit bank account number,you must know the current bank account number?
where does the hacker get the bank account number?
3 possbilities-
some insider gave them the account number.
some one working at the bank
or if he is using his cell phone to check his bank account,his phone security has been compromised.
I dont know if this has been fixed,last year quite a few cell phone users who access their bank account with the phone reported seeing debit transactions they dont recognise and it is from some malware they downloaded to their phone which follow them when they log into different accounts .
but this is not difficult to resolve,they report to their bank and the bank would just contact the other bank and find the account owner,it is some Chinese company and the description of the debit transaction usually makes one believe that it is a Paypal or Ebay purchase.
Old 05-17-2019
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

or a 4th possibility, which I think is more likely than any of those : The account owner had a keylogger remotely installed on one of their computers, revealing their online banking login, Amazon login, and every other login credentials to the hacker who jacked this account.

Old 05-17-2019

Many of these e commerce companies,they may gross over a million sales,but they are just run by a solo operator or 2 partners with some helpers pay by the hour,under the table,contractors whom they issue 1099,with no SS deduction,no pension,no health insurance.
there is no accounting or treasury dept,no auditor either,the owner is the treasurer,he is also the buyer,the seller,and in some cases,the accountant.
It is not too difficult to read what is on his desk,could be a vendor invoice,a bank statement.a cancelled check,a deposit slip ,phone numbers,and ovehear his phone conversation.
Old 05-17-2019

Many of these e commerce companies,they may gross over a million sales,but they are just run by a solo operator or 2 partners with some helpers pay by the hour,under the table,contractors whom they issue 1099,with no SS deduction,no pension,no health insurance.
there is no accounting or treasury dept,no auditor either,the owner is the treasurer,he is also the buyer,the seller,and in some cases,the accountant.
It is not too difficult to read what is on his desk,could be a vendor invoice,a bank statement.a cancelled check,a deposit slip ,phone numbers,and ovehear his phone conversation.
Old 05-17-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
or a 4th possibility, which I think is more likely than any of those : The account owner had a keylogger remotely installed on one of their computers, revealing their online banking login, Amazon login, and every other login credentials to the hacker who jacked this account.

possible,but why just one computer,if he has 6 workers,he must have at least 6 computers,plus his own and his partner.
Security is much better with a PC than a cell phone.
Old 05-17-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
possible,but why just one computer,if he has 6 workers,he must have at least 6 computers,plus his own and his partner.
Because the bosses terminal is going to be the one with banking and business background info. The person running the show is always the one targeted by hackers because they are usually the one with the most valuable info stored on their computer.

Quote:
Security is much better with a PC than a cell phone.
I've never thought so. Hackers have only recently started targeting people's phones.
The Following User Says Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
parsierngue (05-25-2019)
Old 05-17-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,547 Times in 2,200 Posts
Activity: 56%
Longevity: 91%

Have you guys also read about a BTC wallet that was hacked recently?
But it doesn't seem like it's everyone, just 1 person.

He claimed it's due to the 2FA
Old 05-17-2019
Threadstarter  

so the bank acct is pretty public ( they use this checking acct to pay vendors / employees / bills ) so its printed right there on the check
Old 05-17-2019

yes,employees or any payee can see the routing number and account number,name on the check.
but it does not mean they can hack into your AMZN account and change the bank account information.
It is better to open a bank account just for ecommerce and transfer the fund weekly,daily to another bank account.
Big company has many bank accounts,for payroll,for vendors,for receivable and for paying dividend
Old 05-17-2019

some are not checks,they are drafts which would be presented to the treasuer to be approved,like paying your vendors.
Old 05-17-2019

I just logged into my AMZN seller account and see how I can change my bank account which receives AMZN deposit.
It shows just the last 4 digits of my bank account,when I tried to replace it with a new bank account,it ask me to enter the full account number,not just the 4 digits.
But this should be too difficult,like you said anyone who has seen a cancelled check, would see the full account number.
so if someone changes your bank account,and you did not receive AMZN email saying it has been changed,you wont know until you wonder why AMZN is not depositing your sales proceeds to your bank account.
Old 05-17-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I just logged into my AMZN seller account and see how I can change my bank account which receives AMZN deposit.
It shows just the last 4 digits of my bank account,when I tried to replace it with a new bank account,it ask me to enter the full account number,not just the 4 digits.
But this should be too difficult,like you said anyone who has seen a cancelled check, would see the full account number.
so if someone changes your bank account,and you did not receive AMZN email saying it has been changed,you wont know until you wonder why AMZN is not depositing your sales proceeds to your bank account.
AMZ does email you so you have to be sure to not filter that email into a spam folder
Old 05-17-2019

ANYONE who has a staff of 6 and do million dollars worth of business,I find it odd that AMZN email would end up in the spam folder.
we get too many emails,I can see someone deleting it thinking it is another BS email!
I have multiple Ebay seller accounts,everynow and then I log in and find a $5 coupon from Ebay.
Old 05-17-2019

I dont know if they have found the scammer and prosecute them,there are folks who have fancy printers which can print checks and sell them.
Also in some countries,need I mention the letter N as in a country in Africa,they will say they want to wire payment into your bank account and you give them your name and address and bank rouiting number and account number,they go to a print shop and print some checks and start shopping.
Old 05-17-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,926 Times in 8,218 Posts
Activity: 100%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
I dont know if they have found the scammer and prosecute them,there are folks who have fancy printers which can print checks and sell them.
Also in some countries,need I mention the letter N as in a country in Africa,they will say they want to wire payment into your bank account and you give them your name and address and bank rouiting number and account number,they go to a print shop and print some checks and start shopping.
Pretty crazy indeed - and the printers are getting cheaper to work with, fancy enough for this
Old 05-25-2019

Longevity: 38%

Without enough oversight I could really see this happening.

I have a friend this happened to. On a much smaller scale and Amazon would not do anything to help them. There was even a pending transfer that Amazon would not stop.

Amazon does send a lot of messages. If you use Reply Manager software they do mark these messages as Closed. So I could see how they would not get the message. Also, if they have access to the seller email then they can delete the messages from Amazon.

The way around this is to have Gmail filters to auto forward to owner /manager all specific emails like bank account changes and etc that come from specific Amazon email addresses. The trick is to capture all of these when you setup your account and hope Amazon doesn't change them.

Plus, I don't let anyone login to Amazon and to Gmail on the same RDP/Virtual server. So the credentials are never able to both be compromised. I learned this the hard way when an ebay account was compromised during Christmas.

Also, when you change the bank account Amazon requires you add a bank letter that must match your LLC. So how did they get around this?

2FA is pretty much required with seller accounts now.

Finally, how did they not notice when the large amount of money didn't arrive?