PP U.S. business account trying to make a go of not giving SSN - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-22-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 89%
Default PP U.S. business account trying to make a go of not giving SSN

OK, apologies if this has been asked elsewhere...I get confused because so many of these questions are non-U.S. or have some other special twist to the case that I don't have. Mine should be simple (I hope).

I got the e-mail saying I have until June 13 to verify identity on a business account that has been used for 12 years now, is a stealth, EIN-linked, and linked to a credit union and with an Amex card that's showing as the credit card to verify (expiring in 2021). Very stable performance, long history.

I don't want to give them an SSN or date of birth.

Here's how the e-mail described the option if I didn't do that:

Quote:
Option 2: Don't keep a PayPal balance
If you choose not to confirm your identity by June 13, 2019, you won't be able to spend or send money from your balance. Instead, you can log into your PayPal Business account whenever you receive money and transfer the funds to your bank. These transfers can be completed in about a day for free or in minutes for a 1% fee ($10 max).

If you have other automatic payments in place that are not related to eBay, we'll charge the alternate payment method linked to your account—like a card or bank account—instead of your PayPal balance.

If you don't have another payment method linked, or you have one that's about to expire, it's easy to add one. Click Link a Bank or Card or log into your account, go to the Money tab, and follow the instructions for linking a payment method.

The way you pay eBay fees won’t change if you pay them with PayPal.
Whether you keep a balance or not, any money you receive in PayPal will continue to be used to pay your eBay fees.
Okay, so if I'm reading this correctly, I can still withdraw from PayPal to my bank account and still use PayPal to pay eBay fees. I tend to do the latter as pay-as-you-go and seldom have anything debited automatically, even though PP is set up to be the first choice for that.

If that's correct then I can live with it (and pay eBay purchases, eCrater admin fees or other purchases off a linked VCC, I assume, preferably something that is quickly reloadable if such a thing exists). Or a gift card.

What am I missing here? Again, the account is a longstanding business account, though originally registered (via advice then found here) with a stealth name and stealth address.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-23-2019

Longevity: 31%
Default Re: PP U.S. business account trying to make a go of not giving SSN

Looks like the typical situation. Ya cant spend it from paypal but transfer to bank. It's like that with regular non biz stealth as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigcheeze45 For This Useful Post:
ploughman (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Yeah, I started seeing this on my business accounts a few weeks ago but this is an update they already rolled out to personal accounts a few months ago.. so I was almost expecting it.

I haven't been sweating it since I'm already withdrawing all $ that comes into those accounts.

My accounts are the same as yours - long standing EIN business accounts which started years ago as stealth accounts. I don't think we have anything to worry about. All the personal accounts I have that are already impacted by this have been running fine without the ability to spend their balances.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (05-24-2019), ploughman (05-23-2019)
Old 05-23-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the reassurance so far. I do see a possibility of making an eBay purchase or two, probably low-value and some business item like an adapter for a piece of electronics or some hard-to-find furniture part or something like that, so it sounds like I'll have to fund it from a VCC or a gift card. I s'pose I'll need to be ready if someone posts a deal-of-the-decade in one of my collectibles areas (found one about 3 months ago) but that's also likely sub-$100. Any recommendations for RELOADABLE gift cards or VCCs? Especially ones with a short or non-existent float time for funds availability? In all the 12 years I've never funded a purchase from the linked credit union checking account (it always wants more info to do that).

Too, I wonder if these new hoops will cut into business volume from buyers on eBay. There's no way that changes like this are going to be positive for that.
Old 05-23-2019

Longevity: 28%

Hello so Im not clear yet. I just registed a stealth ebay acc and they are asking for my SSN. I know i can still withdraw money now but i heard that after you hit $20k or something they require ssn. What do I do then
Old 05-23-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepnog View Post
Hello so Im not clear yet. I just registed a stealth ebay acc and they are asking for my SSN. I know i can still withdraw money now but i heard that after you hit $20k or something they require ssn. What do I do then
Welcome to the forum - all the best as you master stealth

Have you read about EIN upgrading to business?
Old 05-24-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsot View Post
Welcome to the forum - all the best as you master stealth

Have you read about EIN upgrading to business?
Might the rsot-Borg not supply a link?

As a part of good caring service?

Old 05-24-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 1,651 Times in 1,248 Posts
Activity: 28%
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
Might the rsot-Borg not supply a link?

As a part of good caring service?

this is the useful link rsot would have provided

https://fetch.co.uk/small-animals/hamster
The Following User Says Thank You to ilcarletto For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (05-24-2019)
Old 05-24-2019
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
Thanks for the reassurance so far. I do see a possibility of making an eBay purchase or two, probably low-value and some business item like an adapter for a piece of electronics or some hard-to-find furniture part or something like that, so it sounds like I'll have to fund it from a VCC or a gift card. I s'pose I'll need to be ready if someone posts a deal-of-the-decade in one of my collectibles areas (found one about 3 months ago) but that's also likely sub-$100. Any recommendations for RELOADABLE gift cards or VCCs? Especially ones with a short or non-existent float time for funds availability? In all the 12 years I've never funded a purchase from the linked credit union checking account (it always wants more info to do that).

Too, I wonder if these new hoops will cut into business volume from buyers on eBay. There's no way that changes like this are going to be positive for that.
If you're already using a business account you can just add your business debit card to your eBay account and pay with your card. That's what I've been doing for a couple years. Might as well use business debit card for something.
Old 05-25-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
If you're already using a business account you can just add your business debit card to your eBay account and pay with your card. That's what I've been doing for a couple years. Might as well use business debit card for something.
Do you mean a physical business debit card issued by PayPal? I never got one of those (if it had a person's name on it, the person wouldn't be me) Can that be requested without them trying to collect more information?
Old 05-25-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ploughman View Post
Do you mean a physical business debit card issued by PayPal? I never got one of those (if it had a person's name on it, the person wouldn't be me) Can that be requested without them trying to collect more information?
No, not that. Your business debit card from the bank. You can request as many business checking accounts as you want, and you get a unique debit card for each.
Old 06-02-2019
Threadstarter  

I set up a separate checking account at my credit union for receiving deposits from PayPal and Amazon. It's under my real name but the CU has been accepting deposits regardless (not trying to match the names, thankfully). They go into there and then I can move them online to the personal account used for checks, ATMs, etc.

Probably not the ideal way to do things but it's easy not to fix when it doesn't appear broken.
Old 06-03-2019

Longevity: 28%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beepnog View Post
Avoid hitting $20,000 and 200 transaction in the same year so you don't have to worry about providing an SSN you could switch to another stealth PayPal account when nearing those totals but probably would be best to use it different eBay account to avoid any possible linking issues.

Last edited by lj23; 06-03-2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-20-2019
Threadstarter  

Here we go again....

I've normally done eBay fees as a pay-as-you-go from my PayPal balance so I don't get a big bill at the end of the month (using the "make a one-time payment" link on eBay).

I tried doing that today to pay $20 on a $21.xx balance and it went over to PayPal but came back with that option greyed out and saying it's unavailable for that transaction.

Yet it says in the part I quoted from them from the original post "The way you pay eBay fees won’t change if you pay them with PayPal.
Whether you keep a balance or not, any money you receive in PayPal will continue to be used to pay your eBay fees.

I'm not keeping a balance now that can be used to pay for stuff because I don't want to give them my SSN. They changed the account over a few days ago.

Do they mean by the bolded part that it's charged against PayPal only if eBay automatically initiates the charge? If I leave the balance unpaid it'd be invoiced at the end of the month along with the fixed costs and then they'd automatically charge it in 2 weeks or so.

PayPal right now is set up as the "preferred" payment method, so does the charge still go through on that? It'd be a mess if they tried to charge the "backup" methods.
Old 06-20-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 71%
Longevity: 91%

They should still do it through the preferred method.

I had a similar issue a few days ago and it disconnected my PP and they said because I need to agree on the ebay payment agreement stuff, so let's see how it works out.
The Following User Says Thank You to SaiJin For This Useful Post:
ploughman (06-20-2019)
Old 06-30-2019
Threadstarter  

FWIW, I tried it again (paying eBay fees via the "make a one time payment" link and the PPal option) and this time it worked. So maybe others reported the issue and eBay and PayPal got it to work. The PayPal account can't be used to pay anyone else, only withdrawals.

I much prefer to initiate the payments for the eBay fees myself than to ever have anything automatically charged.
Old 06-30-2019

Longevity: 53%

I got the same thing but they will not let me pay ebay fees? Wierd
Old 07-01-2019
Threadstarter  

Well, I stand corrected somewhat. The "make a one time payment" link works with PayPal as an option, but it didn't take the money out of my PayPal account (it used the secondary funding source) AND didn't inform me it was doing that. You hit the PayPal radio button, log in with the account and password, it bumps the PayPal server for a second or two and then comes back on the eBay side to hit the button for the final payment, but there's no notice at that point under the PayPal button or elsewhere on the page of where the money is coming from (so it's easy to assume it's from the PayPal balance).

They really need to get that fixed. I even re-did the process with a practice payment of 30 cents to ensure I wasn't missing anything. Nope - they don't tell you the funding source if you go that particular route. For my purposes it's still preferable to take it out of that checking account set up only to receive PP and Amazon payments (vs. anything being charged automatically), but I'm sure it'll confuse or trip up somebody and cause a cascade of bounced-check fees.

As an aside, it looks like PayPal really doesn't want people to have accounts like mine that can't send payments from the PayPal balance. All the withdrawals have an initial screen with an option to give the extra info to change the account over.
Old 07-02-2019
Executive [VIP]

They aren't going to ever "fix it"

Last edited by phaz0rz; 07-02-2019 at 10:05 AM.