Any EU sellers experiencing strange dip in traffic? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > Etsy Discussions

Etsy Discussions Etsy Forums. General discussions on Etsy, direct checkout, account suspensions, suspended, banned and more.

Old 06-08-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 31%
Default Any EU sellers experiencing strange dip in traffic?

In the last 3 months or so my traffic/sales has taken a massive dip. I noticed Google Shopping (free via ET SY) has become almost useless. I have tried a paid campaign but . I get a few AUS and EU orders, but I am just not reaching NA. The strange thing is it has happened to 6 shops at the same time. I also get a massive burst of NA orders on random days (like I used to get everyday) and then back the odd order but much slower.

Has there been a recent update to Google shopping with regionalised EU and NA ads? Also, I have set up my account in ENG and changed my location to USA but that didn't help.

If anyone could shed some light on this that would be much appreciated.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 06-08-2019

Longevity: 28%
Default Re: Any EU sellers experiencing strange dip in traffic?

My sales are good, I don't use ads anymore, on another etsy shop they worked well, you just have to wait it out, you should go no longer than 7 days without sales, if you are check your listings, keywords, competition, pricing etc.
Old 06-08-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

what do you sell?
did you check to see someone is selling similar items for less?
Old 06-08-2019

Longevity: 34%

More competition, seasonal products. Always slower in June. People are outside, aren't as many holidays. New lease agreements. People poop out more bebies in summer. All kinds of reasons, no right answer. Avg car sales go down in summer too.

Last edited by Sunspot144; 06-08-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-08-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks all for the replys. Yes, there is more competition true, BUT I was doing up to 20-30 sales a day per account and then all 6 accounts bottomed out avg. 5/6 sales and 10/15 on a good day. I have been selling since last june and on startup I was getting more sales than now. It was a very dramatic drop in march of this year and i noticed it was all of my google shopping sales had gone, 0 traffic.. Now they are back but very low and it was gradually building up again and then it bottomed out again.

Not only that, direct sales from etsy have become over 50% EU sales, it used to be closer to 3-5% EU and 90% USA. It all seems too sudden and its not in one genre of item so that rules out one specific competitor. My eBay pages are still running fine selling similar items so that makes me think it is ETSY side.

Its not title and tags, or price point. Is there any new restrictions for EU/UK sellers? Has the budget for the free Google Shopping been cut for UK to NA ads?

I'm surprised that others are not experiencing the same issue as I am, its kinda thrown my theory out the window.
Old 06-08-2019

When ETsy raised its fee,it said it has been subsidising Google search so now we will have to share the burden.
If a new shop is doing well,it is the Honeymoon effect,same with Ebay.
My Etsy sales has improved,I get sales every day and better margin than my Ebay sales.
But I sell vintage and antique collectibles, hard to find.
Old 06-08-2019

Not sure if you mean traffic from google shopping front page or google ads, two dif things. You're running ads? It's possible the avg bid for ad placement has gone up.
Old 06-08-2019

Not only that, direct sales from etsy have become over 50% EU sales, it used to be closer to 3-5% EU and 90% USA. It all seems too sudden and its not in one genre of item so that rules out one specific competitor. My eBay pages are still running fine selling similar items
so that makes me think it is ETSY side.
------------------------------------------------------
IF YOU ARE IN UK,US buyers tend to buy from US sellers,to save on shipping.
some offer free shipping.
or Etsy just tweak it so US sellers get better ranking in US,while UK sellers get better vsibility in UK.
There is one catgory I look at on Ebay,most are sold by UK sellers,but shipping is more,10-15 dollars more.
Old 06-08-2019
Threadstarter  

Not necessarily..

1. My page does not state anything about being located in the UK, It actually now says I operate from the US. So if your theory was correct they would be buying from me.

2. I know its not to do with pricing or SEO because I rank decently and I sell on other platforms for the same price and it still works. I also regularly assess all competition.

3. In the last year (before the drop) I have have has around 15k sales, 95% were from USA. It has suddenly stopped selling in USA overnight and this is across a few shops selling different things

I know we are in slow season and I am accounting for the usual drop in traffic and revenue but I know for a fact something is off. I guess I will have to keep tweaking and trying to isolate what could be holding me back.
Old 06-08-2019

why not ask Etsy?
My Etsy sales have picked up,but Ebay has been very slow for a long time now.
Ebay rotates our listings,maybe Etsy is doing the same.
or your honeymoon period is over.

Last edited by agent006140; 06-08-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2019

give it more time and see what happens.
Long ago,there were discussion on how the search engine really works,some said search engines come to the sites and pick up the newest items and index them.
So site managers will put the new seller's listing to the front and let the search engine add them to the indices,it is not possible for the engine to go thru every listing on that site.
This is how Rubylane operates then,I dont know what happens now?
in your case,your honeymoon could be over and you are like the rest of us,take pot luck.
often a new seller becomes so encouraged by his sales results,he will run out and order more stocks and then sales dropped off the cliff and he is stuck with unsold inventory piling up .
or are yu selling the same items,may be everyone who wants one has bought?
just kidding

Last edited by agent006140; 06-08-2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2019
Threadstarter  

haha, yes its abit of a sh*t show right now. I get what you are saying, I have done 3 months of tweaking and opening new stores and so on so I have ruled most things out, all with the same sales pattern so it has to be a UK ETSY issue.

The pattern is, my google traffic dies, then etsy traffic sways massively to the EU market then google shopping comes back but much slower than it was before.

My first pages lasted months with amazing steady orders, and then the pattern mentioned above happens. Then I started new pages and I could get a week or month if i'm lucky of good sales and the same thing happens. It feels personally targeted but as the shops sell different style of clothing and are not linked it would have to be directly from ETSY.

Its very annoying to deal with as there are so many little things that could ruin shops. I really want to try a different region maybe mexico or canada to see if it happens with that. I know roughly how to start mexico and canada stealth acct. If you have set up these before please dm me. I don't expect anyones time for free so I would be happy to swap info on setting up UK stealth accounts or a beer and takeaway on me lol.
Old 06-08-2019

you sell clothes?
there are so many sites these days,they all offer free shipping,discount coupon,
have you ver heard of a food sitye called Schwan?
they offer free shipping and 50% off of your first order,so I bought some seafood from them,they said someone will contact me ,they have postponed the date to June 14-16 for someone to contact me?
not easy t o be the next AMZN.
Old 06-09-2019

Actually my sales are 50/50 USA/EU these days. Before it was 90/10
Old 06-09-2019
Threadstarter  

Do you have a rough estimate of when this change happened for you?
Old 06-10-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Do you have a rough estimate of when this change happened for you?

Over the last month
Old 06-10-2019

Longevity: 27%

Slower months after mothers day for me as well and picks up in september.
Old 06-25-2019

Longevity: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron View Post
Not necessarily..

1. My page does not state anything about being located in the UK, It actually now says I operate from the US. So if your theory was correct they would be buying from me.

2. I know its not to do with pricing or SEO because I rank decently and I sell on other platforms for the same price and it still works. I also regularly assess all competition.

3. In the last year (before the drop) I have have has around 15k sales, 95% were from USA. It has suddenly stopped selling in USA overnight and this is across a few shops selling different things

I know we are in slow season and I am accounting for the usual drop in traffic and revenue but I know for a fact something is off. I guess I will have to keep tweaking and trying to isolate what could be holding me back.
Are you trying buy traffic from google shopping by yourself?
I'm understend that free traffic is very nice, but you need to test 3 or 4 days. If this problems with UK location, then you need open shop from new location

I just check 4 of my shops, only one get traffic from google (9% from total traffic)
Old 06-25-2019

if you are selling brand new items,anyone who notice these are selling well,can order same from the wholesalers and sell,may be not on Etsy but Ebay,AMZN,shopify,who knows.
You cant be the only one in the universe selling these products!
Old 07-02-2019

Longevity: 63%

Etsy introduced State tax in US. They added a few more states as of yesterday. So get ready for even less orders to US.
Old 07-02-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,909 Times in 8,202 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

Quote:
Originally Posted by storas View Post
Etsy introduced State tax in US. They added a few more states as of yesterday. So get ready for even less orders to US.
Source of this?
Old 07-02-2019

Imagine there may be a dip but eventually people will grow used to internet sales tax and say fukit I pay tax at the store anyway.