How much do yall pay for Health Insurance? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > General Discussions (Off-Topic) > Everything Else

Everything Else For off-topic conversation. The rules are relaxed in here, but play nice!

Old 07-18-2019

Activity: 20%
Longevity: 40%
Default How much do yall pay for Health Insurance?

I may move to the USA in the future (Michigan). Curious on what everyones experience is with health insurance and how much you pay. As it stands if you are employed by someone you are likley covered from your employer, but since most people here are self-employed im sure most will being paying for private coverage.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-18-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 4,022 Times in 3,010 Posts
Activity: 0%
Longevity: 48%
Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz
Default Re: How much do yall pay for Health Insurance?

It would be over $600 a month for a decent policy for my family and I.
Old 07-18-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
It would be over $600 a month for a decent policy for my family and I.
Damn, thats a lot. But thats for a family, how much for an individual?
Old 07-18-2019

Longevity: 30%

I was "taxed" $1,049 last year when I filed my taxes because I'm self employed and don't have health insurance. While that is supposed to be phased out federally, California is joining in and will have that same tax soon.
Old 07-18-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinsey View Post
I was "taxed" $1,049 last year when I filed my taxes because I'm self employed and don't have health insurance. While that is supposed to be phased out federally, California is joining in and will have that same tax soon.
So if you have a car accident where you are maimed or you have a heart attack, stroke or some other unexpected accident you have zero coverage? If you are billed for $100,000 USD for a medical emergency you have no coverage?
Old 07-18-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Most of us in the USA who are self employed do not have health care. It as a whole, is a waste of money if you are healthy. Of course if you have heath concerns or are a bit older, health insurance may make sense.

IF say I was in a major accident and was hurt, Auto Insurance will cover the majority if not all of it. If I was feeling a little under the weather and a doctor wanted to run tests, yes, you can go buy health insurance. If you had a heart attack, you will be stuck with a hefty bill to negotiate or make a payment plan. It is things like Cancer or long term conditions that heath care makes much sense to most of us or if you were expecting a baby(even then there is options without health care)

Last edited by yankee; 07-18-2019 at 11:10 PM.
Old 07-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Most of us in the USA who are self employed do not have health care. It as a whole, is a waste of money if you are healthy. Of course if you have heath concerns or are a bit older, health insurance may make sense.

IF say I was in a major accident and was hurt, Auto Insurance will cover the majority if not all of it. If I was feeling a little under the weather and a doctor wanted to run tests, yes, you can go buy health insurance. If you had a heart attack, you will be stuck with a hefty bill to negotiate or make a payment plan. It is things like Cancer or long term conditions that heath care makes much sense to most of us or if you were expecting a baby(even then there is options without health care)
And if you have no Auto Insurance? Is this major accident just for a car accident? What about other accidents that do not involve automobiles?

Doesn't health insurance not cover preexisting conditions? Say you develop flesh eating bacteria from swimming in a Florida beach, you wont have enough time to get health insurance and would be rushed to ER.

Id be terrified if I had cancer or a heart attack and no coverage, especially with how absolute INSANE the prices in the USA are. I was at a clinic in the states and they sent me a large bill in the mail for a very simple test. Whats worse is they dont tell you how much it will cost beforehand, and in my situation they didn't tell me I would have anymore bills besides what I paid the day of my visitation.

Im also very critical in keeping excellent credit and would hate to have medical debt ruin it. One good thing though is with medical debt they cant seize your assets or put a lien on your car or house or something compared to other debt.

Im surprised most self-employed have no insurance. I have no problem paying out of pocket, but would want more reasonable prices. Like a $5000 ambulance ride as an example. wtf?

In Canada most things are free. Dental / Vision / medications is not (and some other things, such as chemo are not free). But we do also pay a lot more in taxes.
Old 07-19-2019
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Not free, it's paid by your taxes.

In the US we have medicare but not everyone is covered under that, usually just the elderly or very poor? Not sure.

You need private insurance if you don't want to go bankrupt by outrageous health costs we have here. That or don't get sick.

Individual costs depend on your age and current health.. I pay about $250/mo for just me.

Every year it increases a little bit but it's not that bad. I'm still young and pretty fit.

It's not a good system. It's corrupt as ****. Take care of yourself in America or pay the price.
Old 07-19-2019

I have been to the hospital twice in my entire life. I will roll the dice. If I have a heart attack or stroke I could care less what the bills will be. I will have more important things to worry about.
The Following User Says Thank You to kinsey For This Useful Post:
yankee (07-19-2019)
Old 07-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspkin View Post
Not free, it's paid by your taxes.

In the US we have medicare but not everyone is covered under that, usually just the elderly or very poor? Not sure.

You need private insurance if you don't want to go bankrupt by outrageous health costs we have here. That or don't get sick.

Individual costs depend on your age and current health.. I pay about $250/mo for just me.

Every year it increases a little bit but it's not that bad. I'm still young and pretty fit.

It's not a good system. It's corrupt as ****. Take care of yourself in America or pay the price.
$250 is a little bit more reasonable. If my income tax is lower a few percentile it starts to make a little more sense (US has lower tax). Although my income will always be mostly from Canada. Non tax resident of Canada has a 25% withholding on income.
Old 07-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
I have been to the hospital twice in my entire life. I will roll the dice. If I have a heart attack or stroke I could care less what the bills will be. I will have more important things to worry about.
Don't you get fined if you do not have health coverage when you file your taxes?
Old 07-19-2019

They call it a tax. Yes, it was $1049 for last year.
Old 07-19-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
They call it a tax. Yes, it was $1049 for last year.
And this tax does nothing? Just punishment? Any basic health coverage from this tax?
Old 07-20-2019
Executive [VIP]

Send a message via ICQ to phaz0rz Send a message via AIM to phaz0rz Send a message via Yahoo to phaz0rz

Quote:
This is my attitude. I know the hospital will keep me alive either way..... so they can send me a bill if they feel like they need to and I'll pay them $1 every 2 months forever so the bill doesn't hurt my credit.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to phaz0rz For This Useful Post:
james13v (03-12-2020), yankee (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianleaf View Post
And this tax does nothing? Just punishment? Any basic health coverage from this tax?
It's just a punishment. Obama's justification was that the fine helps cover the cost of people not having health insurance, whatever that means.

So I can pay a $1k fine or pay over $7k each year for coverage I probably won't need for another 20 years.

It's all very corrupt and I have no doubt he was invested in some way in the healthcare industry when he started forcing Americans to get health insurance.
Old 07-20-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 88%
Longevity: 33%

some one mentioned auto insurance-yes,there is coverage but not much,please review your auto insurance policy.
Homeowner insurance policy may have some coverage too,not sure but check it.
If you are Canadian citizen,and moving to Michigan,what is the rule of covering Canadian citizen in USA?Does your Canadian health insurance cover you outside Canada?
Or,can you just drive back to Canada and seek treatment there,Michigan is not that far ,WIndsor is right across from Detroit?
Foreign residents and those who do not earn enough credit to qualify for Medicare (over 65)can also apply for Medicare ,but the premium is higher,check it out on its web site.
There are also urgency care centers in most cities where you can go for treatment,just plain visit could cost $100 in my area.
There are also silly plans you can buy for dental coverage,ambulance .you get a card and go to those providers who accept those cards.
You can also go to hospital emergency rooms .,there are also charity hospital,one which came to mind is the one in New Orleans,can recall its name right now,but most who do not have health insurance will go there in the morning,register and come back the next day to be seen,there is always a large attendance there.
The Following User Says Thank You to agent006140 For This Useful Post:
Canadianleaf (07-20-2019)
Old 07-20-2019

US is not a good place to get sick,the first question any hospital or doctor office asks is DO YOU HAVE INSURANCE?
Doctors would give you a discount if you dont have insurance and pay with cash.
Some may ask for $$ before you get to see a doctor.
Old 07-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
This is my attitude. I know the hospital will keep me alive either way..... so they can send me a bill if they feel like they need to and I'll pay them $1 every 2 months forever so the bill doesn't hurt my credit.
dont hold your breath they will keep you alive anyway.
There is a case here where a woman cancer patient has been given drug for breast cancer treatment free from a charity hospital,then new patient come in and it decides to give that drug to the new patient .
Old 07-20-2019
Executive [VIP]

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
dont hold your breath they will keep you alive anyway.
There is a case here where a woman cancer patient has been given drug for breast cancer treatment free from a charity hospital,then new patient come in and it decides to give that drug to the new patient .
I won't.

Maybe the 2nd patient needed the drug too. I unno. What's wrong with a charity hospital giving the same drug to two patients?
Old 07-20-2019

Those drug are expensive and they can only afford so many,so this first patient has used up her quota ,so to speak and they decide to give them to someone else.
Old 07-20-2019

Medicare is not for the poor,it is for those who have worked and earned enough credit to qualify at 65,or if one is disabled ,under 65.
Poor ones get Medicaid ,so do those who become disabled but do not have enough earned credit to qualify for full SSN disability,they get the $675?a month plus a little more from the state.
Take a look at AFLAC Insurance Co,it may have some products which offer some coverage.
The Following User Says Thank You to agent006140 For This Useful Post:
aspkin (07-21-2019)
Old 07-20-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,039 Times in 773 Posts
Activity: 39%
Longevity: 81%

I have never had health insurance in my life, but considering it now because i'm getting older.

The last time I had any health problem was a few years ago when I was in Thailand and I had some blepharitus, I turned up at the eye hospital, stumped up the cash and that was that.

When I need the dentist I just turn up and can have my teeth cleaned for 20 Euros