PayPal Asking for SSN/ITIN -But I have LLC EIN - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 08-08-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 38%
Talking PayPal Asking for SSN/ITIN -But I have LLC EIN

Hello my good people. How's summer time treating everyone because for me PayPal decided to ramp up verification on one of my stealth accounts.

They are asking for Tax Documents because of the following:

"The name and tax ID on your PayPal account don’t match the IRS records."

I have a business account and have been using the EIN as means of verification with $100k yearly (since 2017)

The name is in a stealth name but the LLC is legitimate and it DOES match the IRS records But obviously they are saying the EIN I uploaded and the personal name on the account doesnt match---
they are asking me to upload tax documents within 4 weeks or else face restrictions

They need a W9 form...but I'm the Owner of the Business and the PayPal is a business account. But W9 form will not match the stealth name

Thoughts? Thanks in advance

Last edited by TheRealist; 08-08-2019 at 06:59 PM.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 08-08-2019
Threadstarter  

Default Re: PayPal Asking for SSN/ITIN -But I have LLC EIN

Actually they Need a W9 form. Can this thread be deleted so I can repost it correctly.
Old 08-08-2019

Longevity: 27%

just edit what you typed...
Old 08-08-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 88%
Longevity: 33%

if you use his SSN,it would show up as his income.
he would not only have to report such,but if he is audited for small business,how is he going to show he has received payment if the payment is going to your bank account?
it could get worse,in a state sales tax audit and all states are stepping up their efforts to collect sales tax,if you state audits you,why are you using a different SSN,if they audit him,is he in the same state as you?
Old 08-08-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks for your response. Since that is an option I clearly indicated I would not do- do you have any other advice?
Old 08-10-2019

Longevity: 43%

Did PayPal indicate what type of restrictions would be faced if the W-9 isn't provided? I've heard of the limitation where they need you to provide business information such as a document for business address and the EIN document itself. Those ones seem to be avoidable and the only limitation is that you can't spend the PayPal balance (still able to withdraw).

Is this something similar in terms of the restrictions?
Old 08-12-2019
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 99%

Any more potential solutions to OP’s question? I received the same notice and am panicking. I have a 8 year old stealth account and other than them asking for an ss/ein a couple of years ago, it’s been trouble free. Anybody?

Last edited by whome; 08-12-2019 at 04:19 AM. Reason: addendum
Old 08-12-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

So.... Yes, the past year Paypal is asking for the EIN and Business name to be updated multiple times. Simply do that.... If it keeps occurring, call paypal and they will fix the glitch on their side. It is about 2 minutes on the phone. It does not happen on every account but it does happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to yankee For This Useful Post:
unkown5454 (09-01-2019)
Old 08-23-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
So.... Yes, the past year Paypal is asking for the EIN and Business name to be updated multiple times. Simply do that.... If it keeps occurring, call paypal and they will fix the glitch on their side. It is about 2 minutes on the phone. It does not happen on every account but it does happen.
So you are saying call PayPal and have them match the Business name to the the EIN i have on file- correct?
Old 08-27-2019
Threadstarter  

So here is an update. I called PayPal and they informed me to just add the W9 Form and it does not need to have my personal name on it, JUST THE BUSINESS NAME ALONE WITH WITH THE EIN AND of course the address they have on file.
Just submitted the document and am pending review. Will keep you guys updated!
Old 08-28-2019

Longevity: 59%

The stealth address or the address of the LLC Ein?
Old 08-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjc104 View Post
The stealth address or the address of the LLC Ein?
It makes no difference. In this case, the name and tax number is the only thing that needs to match.
Old 08-28-2019

They drive me crazy! I have done this three years in a row, and last year they asked for the IRS letter, which I sent and then it was okay. This year they are asking for the same IRS letter, and I have to have it in by Sept 15. The problem with the IRS letter for the LLC is that it has the name of the Business, and my actual name as the partner, with of course my correct address, which is the address for the LLC. I sent it and blacked out my name, as it's a partnership LLC, of which I am the only partner at this time. It shows the LLC name, my address and the EIN. I don't know how to handle it this year.
Old 08-30-2019

Longevity: 26%

I created an account just to answer to this thread, but I have a legit account for 1+ year and it just got blocked with no previous warning because they were asking me to fill a W9 form by sept 15.

I don't know if this is your situation but I also have a LLC with EIN, but no SSN/ITIN because I'm a non resident alien.

As far as I know, the W9 form purpose is to get an ITIN, however if you read it throughly it says that if you're a disregarded entity for tax purposes (which is my case since I'm a LLC sole owner) and you don't have ETBUS, you shouldn't file W9 and instead file a w8-ben.

I called them 3-4 times trying to explain that, they were all oblivious most of the time and even rude, but the last lady agreed with me and told me I could send a w8-ben form, but the next morning lo and behold: my account got blocked.

Now this is where my story might different from yours, so you might still have hope: after calling them 10 times they constantly said that the reason my account was shut down, was due to "geolocation" problems.

My account is in the US, but I've been living and logging into the account from Taiwan. Unfortunately before paypal screwing me up I wasn't familiar with stealth accounts and if you read paypal help center and terms of service there's nothing wrong with what I'm doing.

From what I've read here from another member, the reason they send me (and maybe you) a W9 form is because you told them you're a sole owner/single person LLC, therefore when sending the 1099-k form to the IRS they will write down the tax number that you gave them, but instead of writing the company name AS THEY SHOULD they will write YOUR PERSONAL name.

That obviously won't match at the IRS, and instead of accepting a w8-ben form or correcting their mistake by using EIN+business name, they will automatically shut down your account. Don't even try to explain that situation to customer support, because they are oblivous.

However, I think I found the solution by a post by a user name
phaz0rz at this link: https://www.aspkin.com/forums/paypal...-match-up.html

Basically if you lie to paypal and don't tell them you're a single member LLC, they will fill the 1099-k form the right way and you won't have this headache.

I hate to tell bad news but I think this account might be in a high danger of being blocked. however if you make a new one with this information you can still do business with paypal.

I've just created another one just for testing, didn't think it through too much, but it has the same information apart from phone and I'm using an US dedicated fresh VPN from 24VC.

This is obviously a high risk account, but I've processed so far 1.2k dollars and didn't get any limitation so far.

I'm going to set more stealth accounts in the future, but I don't know how to stop paypal from spotting your shopify store address.
Old 08-30-2019

This is the post that Im referring to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phaz0rz View Post
Just to add on and hopefully prevent someone from getting scared, the IRS only verifies EIN + business name. It's perfectly fine for the 1099k sent the the IRS to have a stealth address - it doesn't need to match the address the IRS has for your business/yourself.

If when Paypal sends your 1099k your business name doesn't match up to your EIN, they're fairly generous about allowing you to fix the error. They send you a W9 to fill out (my previous post saying W4 was wrong) and give you 45 days to submit it. If they can't verify you after the W9 then you're done.

It's important to note the type of business you setup with the IRS in the beginning is a major factor here. If you get an EIN for a single-member LLC you'll be unable to complete the W9 if you're ever sent one. For a single member LLC they require the name of the person and/or business, and not just the business name as they do with other organization types. That's why you have to lie about your organization type if you upgrade your Paypal to business with a single member LLC EIN. This is exactly how I lost my best Paypal last year. I made a slight error on my business name so I was W-9'd. Since my LLC was single member the W-9 would not accept just my business name - it wanted my full legal name also. So I couldn't complete the form and lost the account.

As long as you give them accurate information when you upgrade, this shouldn't be a problem for you. Something to be aware of though.
Old 09-01-2019

Is there a way to change all of the information on a business account to the LLC. The problem we are all having with the mismatch is that the Stealth name has nothing to do with the registered LLC. Can we change the personal info (stealth) to the name and address of the LLC?? My business name is the LLC, but the information on the personal side is stealth. I have to match them again for the 3rd year in a row, and I have until the 15th of Sept. I want to go in and take off the stealth info, and put the LLC information, name, address, etc., and not have the personal name there. It is a business account and there shouldn't be any personal info, but they are not recognizing the LLC and EIN for some reason. Any ideas??
Old 09-05-2019
Threadstarter  

So as time draws near- PayPal did not accept the document, THEY SAID THEY NEED THE NAME TO BE FILLED OUT AS WELL, NOT JUST THE BUSINESS NAME.

The Business Is under my real information, the Stealth is Stealth. I am not sure how to rectify the situation.
Old 09-05-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoDropshipping View Post
This is the post that Im referring to:
If this is accurate- then I can not salvage my account? I have a Single Member LLC, I have had over 100k go through this account on a yearly basis.

is there anyone here who has passed through this arena?
Old 09-06-2019

Anything can happen man, I think they blocked my account with no previous warning because I've been login in this account from outside the US for more than 6 months.

If you tell them the company is a partnership instead of a single member LLC they maybe will fill the 1099-k with the business name.
Old 09-21-2019
Threadstarter  

I HAVE BIG NEWS:
Hello **********,

Our review is complete and we have returned your account to regular standing.

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your help in making PayPal the safest and most trusted online payment solution.

Thanks,
PayPal

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page

"""I put in the Stealth Name, then I put in the Business Name, Then I put the EIN Name.
It All Cleared!!!!!!!!!!!!
***PLEASE NOTE- YOU ARE STILL RESPONSIBLE AT THE END OF THE YEAR TO FILE YOUR TAXES APPROPRIATELY.""""""
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRealist For This Useful Post:
stevesokol21 (11-20-2019)
Old 09-22-2019

Great to hear this man! I really thought you were going to lose your account.

This makes me more optimistic towards their future decisions
Old 09-22-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 8,908 Times in 8,201 Posts
Activity: 99%
Longevity: 83%

So true! Congrats