Buyer Fraud what if I refuse the package - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 07-19-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 94%
Default Buyer Fraud what if I refuse the package

Sold some watches to a guy 50 sets. And he is in Canada. He had to pay the shipping and dont think he realized there would be taxes on the items to get them in the country. I could sense it coming. So of course now he is complaining about the cost and how the watches are defective (there is nothing wrong with them) he claims because some of the packages are dirty that they arent sellable And because the paper around them is ripped on a few that he wants money back. First he says 10 of the watches are no good. I tell him that id give him $25 back since the cases are like a dollar a piece. He says no and that he wants 20% of his payment back I know the watches are good. He just overpaid and is now getting cold feet. He is talking about leaving negative feedback if i dont give him $100 and threatening with a claim. So if he files a claim what are my chances of winning. Keep in mind that he is in canada so its international are they any easier to win? And if he does this and wins he has to pay to ship the item back. what if i just dont accept it it wont show as delivered so would it get reversed.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 07-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

I think it depends on what he says on dispute, if he says they are defective then he may get postage refund too. Dont rely on paypal to sort it out in your favout thats unlikely, offer him the 20% or whatever of his money he wants back, minus postage and try and keep it out of a SND on paypal.
It also depends on what you said in listing regarding the postage of returns, did you list any terms and conditions. Basically buyer can say they are all defective or some are and pp will believe them, you have an email as proof he said 10 are no good, so tell him you have that as evidence and give him his money back in full for those, whether you give him the postage back is negotiable but if pushed give it to him. You are not however responsible for customs charging, if that is in your terms and conditions or not pp should side with you on that one, but it is wise to mention it in future for international - yes, I know its difficult to mention everything! and in the end buyer can downright lie and pp believes them.
Old 07-20-2009
Subscribed [VIP]

Longevity: 85%

feedback extortion. Do you have any of this evidence (he wants money or will leave negative feedback) via eMail? It would be even better if it was an eBay message.

If you supply that evidence to eBay he will not be able to do anything. They take that very seriously. I would go into greater detail but am not able to, time limited here at work. Just look up feedback extortion rules.
Old 07-20-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

buyer wants to commit fraud by asking for refund and you want to commit fraud by not accepting the pacakage. way to go. Two wrongs don't make a right. That's what I was taught.
Work out something with the buyer. This is the price of doing business. You have to take the good with the bad...
Old 07-22-2009
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 94%

Well im not trying to commit fraud had he said there is something wrong with the watches I would def immediately do something. But this is OH THE BOX IS DIRTY i want $100 or i will leave negative feedback and open a dispute. Or the wrapping outside the watches is ripped so i deserve the money back. (Think of a DVD that has the outter casing around it. The DVD is still wrapped and sealed and the "cover" is the exact same one as the case the dvd is in, its pretty much like that) You wouldnt even know if someone took that off and sold it to you but hes pretending as though without that its going to knock $20 off the watch price and he will suffer. Hes just whining because he def paid too much for the watches. I was saying what if i refuse the package simply because i think even if he opens a dispute the cost of sending back the watches and paying he taxes wouldnt be worth the time and effort for him
Old 09-13-2009

Longevity: 86%

Tracking will show that the package was refused. All that paypal asks a buyer to do is send the package back. The seller doesnt have to accept it, but as soon as the tracking shows something.....delivered/attempted/refused/not know at address...........paypal WILL refund the payment to the buyer. So if you refuse, the package will go back to the buyer and he will get all of his money back! Ive had it happen to me!
Old 09-13-2009

Longevity: 86%

Buyer disputes are won probably 95% of the time (just a guess based on personal experience). Tell him to ship the items back and refund the money less shipping. That's what I would do.

Get the items back, clean them up and resell them.

OR, since he over paid as you stated, if you will still be in profit AFTER giving him $100.. heck just give him the $100 and call it a day.

I've been in similar situations. At first, I would ever try to work with the buyer and I would always try to fight it.. but after realizing it's a lose , lose situation, now I'm more inclined to work it out. Less Stress, No bad FB and possibly a customer for life.

Just my .02

EDIT: DAAAYyuummm I see this post was from a few months ago LOL