Non Stealth but wrong return address - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 11-28-2019

Activity: 1%
Longevity: 36%
Default Non Stealth but wrong return address

Hi,

My situation is as follows. I sold a Macbook on my non-stealth account for £580 which supposedly has a defect. It was only after the buyer returned it that I realised it was sent to the wrong address. I'm not even sure how this address is in my account, I think I was testing out how settings worked etc before setting up and actual stealth account.

The item was sent back to the buyer after being held for 18 days during which time they were refunded. This is shown on the tracking.

The buyer initially ignored all contact, then eventually stated they wouldn't be returning it. I persisted and they asked for a prepaid postage label which I provided. I have not heard back since and tracking hasn't updated.

Besides threatening the buyer with police and small claims court (both of which I'm sure are useless), what are my options?

I have read about getting a letter from Royalmail but this was in the case of the address being tampered with. I'd appreciate any advice as this is a lot of money to lose, I don't really use Ebay much anymore or have a business on it.

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-28-2019

Activity: 15%
Longevity: 41%
Default Re: Non Stealth but wrong return address

eBay do not care.

If you set up a brick and mortar store you must expect some loss of stock to shop lifters.

Likewise with ebay if you are a business seller they expect you to account for loss of stock to thieves.

If you are a personal / occasional seller you have a better chance of ebay refunding you out of their own pocket as they know you are not a business. So to get a refund, report the buyer for fraud to the police. And forward the crime reference number on to ebay as you would with an insurance claim. The scammer will become a statistic on the police's radar. Should they make a habit of it they will eventually get caught.
The Following User Says Thank You to james_112233 For This Useful Post:
nickopedia (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019
Executive [VIP]

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 43%

Lesson: MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOUR RETURN ADDRESSES ON EBAY ARE VALID.

Don't expect your buyer to use your label. Most times the address that's on your eBay account is where the item will be sent.
Old 11-28-2019

Thanked 1,104 Times in 1,040 Posts
Activity: 91%
Longevity: 33%

are there 2 buyers involved,first one is the one you accidentally sent the item because it was a wrong shipping address and he return the item back to you.
In the mean time,you refunded the rightful buyer who did not receive the Mac?
then who sent the Mac to the second buyer,you or the first buyer?
so now your second buyer has his money and the mac.
legally he did not steal your mac,he paid and you refund and he got the Mac.
In USA,we can intercept the shipment by paying USPS a fee or if private carrier,tell them to hold the shipment
not much you can do,if you can call him,then ask him to return it with the label you provided him,sometimes talking is more effective than emailing
Old 11-28-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the replies, the fraud action system with crime ref no seems like the best bet at the moment. The problem is the buyer has basically told me that Ebay told them not to bother returning it, so why should they? I'm not sure where I stand legally but I imagine it's a civil dispute, so I'm not even sure any laws dictate otherwise? It would be useful if I could threaten them with a law which would scare them into returning it.

There is one buyer. They returned it to a wrong address and as such it has looped back to them again, during which time they were refunded outside of my control.

Last edited by sam999; 11-28-2019 at 03:25 PM.
Old 11-28-2019

now I understand,
you sold MAC which has a defect,buyer returned to one of your return addresses,which is not the right one,so it was returned back to him.
By then he got his refund since tracking shows it has been returned to you.
So he gets a free Mac with defect .
It sounds like you goofed,he did what he is asked t o do,return it to your return address does he live close to you,may be drive up there and ask for the Mac.
he committed no crime,you waste his time with a defected Mac and wrong return address.
Old 11-29-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
I wouldn’t return it either, there plenty of good reasons to be wary of you...rightly or wrongly.

Have you asked if you can send a courier to collect it?

Failing that then to make matters formal, and give the buyer some legal assurance your not shady, make a claim against them in the Small Claims Court.
What reasons? The defect is a software issue with the webcam which I tried to explain but they don't appear to understand. I explained the return address was outdated as is almost always the case with these issues. I have nearly 700 feedback. I have sent a prepaid UPS label which they previously agreed was fine but have not used.

Do you mean to threaten them with SCC or actually issue proceedings? I assume they would win as there is no contract stating monies must be exchanged while they are in possession of the goods?

Last edited by sam999; 11-29-2019 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-29-2019

dont waste your money,he could have trashed your Mac,since it is not working for him.
If you really want it back ,offer him $25 and use your UPS label to return it,you have wasted enough of his time,sending him a MAC he cant use and then ask him to pack and bring it to a local shipper so it can be shipped to a wrong address.
now you want him to make another trip and drop off your MAC,the only way I would do it if you pay me to do so.
What are you going to tell the judge?
If you want it back,you can go to his house and ring his doorbell and ask for it.