Ebay sales ZERO the past few days...what happened? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 12-11-2019

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 46%
Default Ebay sales ZERO the past few days...what happened?

I've been dropshipping on ebay for the past few years. I'm a small-timer making on average about 2-4 sales per day (100 per month), but one thing is, it has always been consistent for the past 3-4 years.

I've had stretches where I might have no sales for 2 days in a row or maybe just 1 sale in 3 days but that's rare.

For some odd reason, I only have 2 sales in the last 6 days. My account is in good standing in the seller dashboard. I did receive 1 defect recently but still well under the threshold.

I wonder if it has anything to do with a lot of cancellations I had to do on my recent orders. A lot of buyers first shop around amazon and other major merchant sites and when those products are all out of stock nationwide, they must have searched on ebay and found me selling it in the store (because I don't know it's out of stock as I don't use any automation programs; everything I do is manual and I don't check all 250 products every day to see if they are out of stock in my dropship store)....so it's quite common lately to have a lot of buyers order from me, and then when I go to the merchant sites or amazon to check, they are all out of stock, EVERYONE! So I end up having to ask the buyer if they would like to wait or have a refund and when they say refund, I go and cancel the order under the reason "buyer asked to cancel" the order so I don't get hit with a defect if you chose "Out of stock".

I've had to cancel an unusual amount the past 2 weeks....about 10-12 orders all due to being out of stock in the merchant stores that I had no idea they were out of stock so my ebay listing was still selling it.

Does this affect my listings ranking? Or am I just overthinking it?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%
Default Re: Ebay sales ZERO the past few days...what happened?

Cancelled orders will kill your account.
Old 12-11-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee View Post
Cancelled orders will kill your account.
How? There is no proof of it. That's what I'm trying to find.
I know if you cancel due to out of stock then it counts as a seller defect.
I never put that as the reason. I always put the reason as either "something was wrong with the buyer's address" or "buyer asked to cancel order" and you don't get any seller defects for that.

So please clarify what you mean because what you said isn't true. I've cancelled orders for years and never had drops in sales.

I'm just wondering if you have too many in a period of 1 month if ebay does something to your listings and it drops dramatically? I have no proof or evidence that is the case. I'm just assuming some of these ideas.

I went to look at my traffic report but unfortunately ebay has not updated it since Dec 6 which was still a time i was making my average sales....i need to see what the traffic looks like between the 7th and today and it might give me a good indication if visitors have dropped significantly.
Old 12-11-2019
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 3,108 Times in 2,282 Posts
Longevity: 60%

Oh, Ok then. Wish you luck.
Old 12-11-2019
Threadstarter  

Nope, I'm not here for luck. My question was so that I could get any specifics.
I need to find the source where I can see my data or see for facts what is happening. No luck required.
Old 12-11-2019

Longevity: 75%

Cancelled orders will kill your account..
Old 12-11-2019

Longevity: 63%

I lost an account a few years ago due to canceling orders and refunding. My husband had passed away and I was in a bad spot and not able to focus on my business.
So I would bet it's because of the canceled orders. On the bright side, at least you haven't been suspended for it yet.
Old 12-11-2019

Longevity: 25%

I also had very slow movement on certain products, maybe has something with after black friday..

Ps. Ive got a mc011 once cuz of cancellations among other defects
Old 12-11-2019

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 88%
Longevity: 33%

buyers could report you as they are not the ones who want to cancel the orders.
It is also obvious you are dropshipping,along with other Ebay sellers who dropship from AMZN,they are also cancelling orders .
your items are probably rotated to page 999 OR being hidden from sight.
Old 12-11-2019

Longevity: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
Nope, I'm not here for luck. My question was so that I could get any specifics.
I need to find the source where I can see my data or see for facts what is happening. No luck required.
what made you name yourself 'oatmeal'? do you love it that much or is that the first thing that popped into your head?

Last edited by mediainspiron; 12-11-2019 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-11-2019
Super Moderator

Thanked 2,536 Times in 2,190 Posts
Activity: 69%
Longevity: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmeal View Post
How? There is no proof of it. That's what I'm trying to find.
I know if you cancel due to out of stock then it counts as a seller defect.
I never put that as the reason. I always put the reason as either "something was wrong with the buyer's address" or "buyer asked to cancel order" and you don't get any seller defects for that.

So please clarify what you mean because what you said isn't true. I've cancelled orders for years and never had drops in sales.

I'm just wondering if you have too many in a period of 1 month if ebay does something to your listings and it drops dramatically? I have no proof or evidence that is the case. I'm just assuming some of these ideas.

I went to look at my traffic report but unfortunately ebay has not updated it since Dec 6 which was still a time i was making my average sales....i need to see what the traffic looks like between the 7th and today and it might give me a good indication if visitors have dropped significantly.

So you are used to having no sales for 2 days, but you are worried on the 3rd day.

Some here have said about cancellation defects, this is certainly something you need to be on top of.

But there are also other factors that you might not be able to see such as trends, customer behavious, time of year, etc.
These things change and will never be the same every time.
Old 12-11-2019

I've had to cancel an unusual amount the past 2 weeks....about 10-12 orders all due to being out of stock in the merchant stores that I had no idea they were out of stock so my ebay listing was still selling it.

Does this affect my listings ranking? Or am I just overthinking it?
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You give yourself a bad name,you make Ebay looks bad and your wasted buyer time.
Worse you cancelled their orders saying it is their fault.
you also wasted Paypal time by refunding payments/
You are also violating Ebay policy by conducting 'retail arbitrage'.

Last edited by agent006140; 12-11-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 12-11-2019

Activity: 2%
Longevity: 39%

Honey you were flagged for drop shipping .... are you using blue care express tracking numbers or tracking numbers that do not correspond with item location ? Are you using Amazon as your supplier ?
Old 12-11-2019

this is what she is doing .when AMZN ran out of stock,she does not know and leave the listing active

Last edited by SaiJin; 12-11-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 12-11-2019
Threadstarter  

Thanks for the replies, but without any documentation or statistics to verify any of the claims, I cannot just take your opinions as fact.

I'm looking for actual analysis that shows doing this is negatively affecting my listings or rankings in searches. All we are doing is speculating and giving opinions which doesn't actually help anyone.

I've been on ebay since 2003. So I've probably been a longer user than most of you and a good buyer and seller. I'm always open to learning and trying to improve everything I can which is why I ask questions. I don't ask questions so that people who don't actually know anything can just berate me on my selling habits. That doesn't help anyone or improve anything.

I have 99% positive rating, I'm a top rated seller status in US, and Above Standard for Global. So, no thank you to all the berating comments.

But thank you to those who actually can keep this discussion to the specifics and not turn this into an episode of Judge Judy.

I ship out with top shipping services, 1-5 days fast shipping domestic and have a tremendous amount of happy buyers because I fulfill their orders, and if I can't, I always offer them a full refund and even courtesy discounts / free shipping on future orders ...costs that I eat myself because that's part of the customer satisfaction I always try to provide. If buyers do not get their packages and open cases, I refund them and take the losses out of my own pocket and deal with the dropshippers directly myself and often don't get reimbursed. Yeah, these are just a few things that I do that you don't know about.

So the biggest problem obviously that I face is (as is the #1 problem for dropshippers) is keeping up to date on out of stock items. Unless there is an automated software or service that can do it for me, there is no way I can check 250 listings every single day one by one to see if it's in stock for every country that I ship out to. I've generally had no big problems with this in the past few years so it's proof that you can cancel orders and it doesn't suspend your account or restrict you from selling.

If an item goes out of stock (for example in Amazon), I wouldn't know about it and my listing in ebay would still have it for sale. Every customer that would normally shop at amazon would see it's out of stock and start to look for other vendors that have it in stock. They'd eventually be funneled and find my listing on ebay that says available and order from me. Then I'd attempt to dropship it only to find it it's been out of stock. I would also check several other vendors that I often use for dropshipping and carry the same products but they too were all out of stock. This means that when items go out of stock, it goes out of stock almost everywhere simultaneously or within a close timeframe. I've followed this trend for years so I know this as fact. If the manufacturer is out of stock, then everyone else who is reselling it is also out of stock. I'm no different. The only problem with my end is that I didn't know it was out of stock so I couldn't change the listing in my store. This is what I'm trying to figure out how to improve. I'm wondering if there is a way to use some automation software or service that can always ensure that my ebay listings match exactly with the vendor's website listing. If they go out of stock, then my listing should automatically go out of stock (you get the point).

I will probably have to figure out how to get Amazon FBA warehouse so that I can bulk order the products I know that sell regularly and stock pile on them so that when it goes out of stock, I'll still have a lot in my FBA warehouse and most likely be able to clear house with higher profit margins as I would be the one and only few left who have it available and ready to ship.

Btw, I made 2 sales today, so it's a bit of relief to know I am still selling and all the cancellations did not necessarily restrict me from selling.
I understand that cancelling orders is an awful experience. But if it's not in stock, then it's not in stock. It's not like anyone can do anything about it. In fact, I've ordered from some of these large vendors themselves and they do the exact same thing to me, 1 or 2 days later tell me in an email that they had to cancel my order because it was out of stock or back ordered even though their website said it was in stock. So even large merchants (brand names) do this a lot. I'm just as frustrated as buyers and I hate it, too. I don't know why it takes some manufacturers over 1 month to get an item back in stock. How do these companies and brands stay relevant and popular if they don't have any stock for over 1 month? You'd think multi-million dollar companies would always ensure to keep their products in stock or on the ready to minimize out of stock as much as possible, but it seems even these so-called big brand names also struggle to keep their own products in stock.

Last edited by oatmeal; 12-12-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 12-12-2019

Longevity: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediainspiron View Post
what made you name yourself 'oatmeal'? do you love it that much or is that the first thing that popped into your head?
I also like oatmeal. Such a good meal.
Old 12-12-2019

I have been on Ebay since 1990s,I have seen many sellers come and go,dropshipping has always been practiced on Ebay,it is not dropshipping which bothers Ebay,it is retail arbitrage,AMZN is getting caught up as well,it has been cancelling member prime account for the reason that prime shipping is expensive and meant for you,your family and your friends,not your customers.
-AMZN is here to make money for AMZN,not for someone who use AMZN to make money for himself/herself,as a capitalist yourself,you must understand.
-No one is trying to berate you,just telling you facts of life,sometimes it is hard to swallow,but facts are facts,cancelling orders and blame it on the buyers to save your own skin is not an honorable deed.
You can go to Ebay seller forum,there are discussions on such and what buyers could do,there is a small button on every listing-report this seller,anyone can use that button.and Eaby promises seller would never know who reported him.
-You keep making excuse that you cant keep track of 250 items when your dropshippers run of stock,if you own the inventory,you will have a system which tells you what items are out of stock,but you dont hold any inventory,thats one disadvantage of playing retail arbitrage.
-I read there are software out there for a subscription fee,it will list items for you from AMZN to Ebay,monitor price change and stock level and adjust your listings accordingly,Ebay mayhave banned it,you need to find out yourself.
For all these years of selling on internet(25 years),I have never seen so many sellers playing this retail arbitrage game,to the point that I NO LOnger buy on Ebay,figure I could get it cheaper on AMZN .
-as to your idea of using AMZN FBA to stock items which are in demand and easily running out of stock,you have to find out from the AMZN sellers if they would ship your order to your AMZN FBA account or if they are using AMZN FBA themselves,could they just ask AMZN to switch those items from their storage bin to yours/
or you could try something practiced by commodity traders,taking out a future contract with a large wholesaler/manufacturer??

Last edited by agent006140; 12-12-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Old 12-12-2019

You can also write a program yourself or hire a geek to do so-go to AMZN with your Ebay listings and check the inventory level of those items and produce a report of those which are out of stock,low in stock or have a price higher than yours,with just 250 listings,this should not be a big report for you to adjust yours daily.
Old 12-12-2019

There's a number of software as little as $15-$20 per month that keep track of inventory, price changes, etc. and automatically adjusts when there's a change from the source supplier. They're also non API. Make life a whole lot easier. Time is money and if you're still doing this manually, you're wasting your time.. Time that can be spent on growing.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidTheMillionaire For This Useful Post:
oatmeal (12-12-2019)
Old 12-12-2019

but would Ebay allow these software to run on its site?
Old 12-12-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
but would Ebay allow these software to run on its site?
Ebay only cares if the software uses API.. These software I'm referring to are non-API.. Which means, Ebay sees it the same as you doing it manually
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidTheMillionaire For This Useful Post:
agent006140 (12-13-2019)
Old 12-12-2019
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTheMillionaire View Post
There's a number of software as little as $15-$20 per month that keep track of inventory, price changes, etc. and automatically adjusts when there's a change from the source supplier. They're also non API. Make life a whole lot easier. Time is money and if you're still doing this manually, you're wasting your time.. Time that can be spent on growing.
Interested!
Now, do they only do it for a select group of websites or can they do it to any website you tell them?

So should I be searching for non-API software that does this? Any specific names you can refer me to? Thanks for the replies.