Cookie Issue? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion!

eBay Discussion! EBay Forum. News, Updates, or Anything eBay is Welcome. A kind of lounge if you will.

Old 09-14-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 96%
Default Cookie Issue?

Okay, I was accessing EB tonight through the AOL browser with an acct created with an AOL email. I shut down the AOL browser and then went suring around using IE. I went to a site to help me figure a way to list a specialty item and the next page that I accessed was at EB and right up in the corner it siad Hi (my user ID) not you? Sign in.
Does AOL leave a cookie that can be recognized by IE or vice versa?
I have never logged into EB on this comp doing anything other than signing in with AOL.
So, that being said I have come to the conclusion that AOL somehow puts a cookie somewhere where it can also be found by IE, I was under the false assumption that it would be safe to access 2 account from one machine with out clearing cookies between every visit provided that you use IE for one and AOL for the other. That would guarantee no duplication of IPs but the cookies would nail you... same cookie showing up at 2 differnet IPs.
I should be okay because I have had to reset my modem at least 6 times today and I have cleared cookies from IE since the last time I logged in with a different account through IE, but if you are using more than one acct at a time and thought you might be safe if each used a different browser accessing through different IPs you might learn a lesson the hard way.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-14-2007
Threadstarter  

Default Another cookie question

I have a question while we are on the topic of cookies.

I have noticed that after I clear them sometimes I go back to a site that requires me to sign in be it EB or an email account or whatever and I have to log back in several times before it remembers me.

Shouldn't a cookie work like this:
go to a site that requires a login and login
get a cookie
leave the site
come back a little while later and fully access the site without the need to login again.

I know there are certain types of cookies that expire after a certain amount of time, but could these sites possibly be giving you temp cookies that only last for hours and after getting several of these types of cookies from a particular site the next visit you will receive one that lasts longer?

Just wondering
Old 09-14-2007
Administrator

Thanked 4,230 Times in 1,792 Posts
Longevity: 100%

I never used AOL, but from reading your post... it seems aol browser shares cookies and files with IE. Unless you used IE to log into your eBay account, that's the only way it could happen.

By the way DogFacedBoy, you're posting a lot lately. You seem crazy busy with eBay these days.
Old 09-14-2007
Threadstarter  

Not maybe crazy busy, just crazy:D

I like to share and if I have a question I ask.

One thing that might have been the reason for the cookie issue was I went to list something through one of those services that provides templates and free photo hosting and it shot me over to EB to get my EB info, like to schedule a start time. I might have had an IE window open at the time and rather than to open a new AOL browser window, just opened one in an already open IE one.

I have been clearing my cookies like every day or two and only accessing one EB and PP through AOL. I'm not doing multiple accounts on either right now, just trying to get a solid one up and running and then start on building backups.
The IP that shows up for IE is constantly being reset due to unrelated problems with my ISP. So at this point I'm not too nervous
And once again, I am crazy...did you see my avatar? Do you know how much time I spend shaving.