AOL IP's now static? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > eBay Discussion! > eBay Suspensions

eBay Suspensions General issues related to eBay Suspensions. Mostly geared towards eBay.com.

Old 09-17-2007

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 99%
Default AOL IP's now static?

My AOL IP hasn't changed in HOURS now. Is there a time of the day that it hits a lull and if so what are the times that it changes faster? One of the big advantages I saw in AOL was that the IP's changed frequently. That doesn't seem to be happening all of a sudden. Any ideas as to why and if it's just temporary or is the party over for AOL users?
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 09-17-2007

Longevity: 96%

I have noticed that mine doesn't change everytime I log in like when I started using them about a month ago...even though I am resetting my modem (due to DSL performance issues, not for hiding purposes). I am thinking that maybe this might be due to "marrying" an Ip to a specific AOL username?
This doesn't bother me because I am only using AOL for one acct and I think that giving EB the same AOL IP everytime for the same EB account actually makes me look less suspicious to EB.

This is an interesting change though and I would like to know if others are experiencing similar issues.
Old 09-17-2007
Banned

Longevity: 97%

I thought Ebay and AOL has a partnership now? If so that may be why
Old 09-17-2007

actually, it may just be the IP identificaiton site you are trying to access has cached the last AOL ip address .. when you try to see what is your IP.. for example, if you use something like whatismyip*com, and you keep refreshing that same website to see if the ip changes, it may not seem that its changed..

however, if you use google, and google "my ip address", and for each of the results returned, open in a new browser, you will find that the IP address if shown different for each different site you access, meaning that the real IP address is dfferent for each browser you open anyways.

give it a try and post what happens...
Old 09-17-2007

i dont think AOL will assign a Static IP for each user.. with Millions of screen names, that means that AOL will have to provide millions of fixed ips, one for each screenname? not likely..... i think all AOL IPs gets recycled and reused ..
Old 09-17-2007

yea that's true modee but even though it shows the same IP does it in actuality change? Because mine is like that but I still have no problems with ebay when logging in and out of my suspended account or my limited paypal account.
Old 09-17-2007

if you are logging in/out of your suspended/limitd accounts, what problem can there possibly be? they can't suspend you again after you are already suspended....
Old 09-17-2007

no I mean to test my safety I logged in and out of a suspended account, then I logged in and out of my safe account. Do you get it? If you did that with a Static IP address I think the result would be the suspension of your account...
Old 09-17-2007

yea, i'm a daredevil lol. But my surprise is I am still safe. Same thing with my cable connection, I can log in and out of suspended accounts and go to my safe accounts and not be suspended @_@. As long as I clear my cache and cookies for which I use IE 7 so it clears everything great. Just thought it was a bit weird but hey, i'm not complaining.
Old 09-17-2007

lol seriously. Unless my ISP is special, but it must be. Another thing is when I check my IP it never changes. I mean never, when I go to sites like Privax or what is my IP it's always the same damn numbers. I have Comcast Cable btw, and they say it is Dynamic. So is it possible that my ISP is constantly changing my IP it just can't be seen when I go to sites like "What is my ip" and "privax"? But that doesn't make sense either, damn. I don't know how I'm safe, I just am.
Old 09-17-2007

how long, in my nooby days I would go to my safe accounts right away in fear that they were shutdown. But they would be safe, as long as I deleted my history and everything with IE 7!
Old 09-17-2007

that is where you've got me. Well my very first ebay account in 2003 was suspended two years ago for being a non-paying bidder. I then made a new account like a month or two later when I needed to buy more stuff (oblivious that ebay suspended people again or that ebay actually hunted for people) and that went solid up until a couple of months ago. I sold my computer to some guy and I shipped it to him miscalculating the arrival of my new computer. He got scared when I wasn't replying his emails (it took only like 4 days!) and contacted ebay for my phone number. He called me and I straightened everything out with him. When my computer arrived, I logged on and I see that I've been suspended!! I'm guessing they saw that I had the same phone number and address as the nonpaying bidder account. They said I was connected to that account. It sucked, I was pissed and confused lol. There have been 2 more suspensions after that and one of them was when I neglected all the rules on making a new ebay account (linking paypal, same address etc) before I found this site. The second one was because apparently my credit card company would not release my information to ebay (at least that is what they said). So yea...there ya go.
Old 09-17-2007

btw, i've only gotten 1 paypal account limited. Ever.
Old 09-18-2007
Threadstarter  

It has now been almost 36 hours and the IP still hasn't changed. If this keeps up, AOL is dead to me and I will have to find another IP solution.
Old 09-19-2007
Threadstarter  

I just checked Van's theory and it seems partially right. Though IE and Firefox showed the same IP, AOL's was still different. What I can't understand is why even after clearing cache and cookies why "IP Locator" still shows the same reading as it did 2 days ago.
Old 09-19-2007
Banned

I have done that before by accident and nothing ever happen. It was a few months back though. Also when I was testing my checkout I bidding on 1 of my items off the same IP and even left feedback on the same IP of both accounts. I even logged into one then the other back to back. I thought I was toast but 3 months later it's still good
Old 09-19-2007
Banned

Yeah, with a gang of accounts, I can afford to lose 1. But I was talking 2 months ago not last month as stated in my post. The 2 accounts that I interconnected was not one of the accounts that got butchered by Ebay
Old 09-19-2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hanson View Post
I have done that before by accident and nothing ever happen. It was a few months back though. Also when I was testing my checkout I bidding on 1 of my items off the same IP and even left feedback on the same IP of both accounts. I even logged into one then the other back to back. I thought I was toast but 3 months later it's still good
I used to do that all of the time, even shill bid a couple of items that I knew would sell at a certain price, but didn't want to start at that because sometimes people won't bid on an item with o bids starting at $200, but they will bid on the same item if it was bid upto it and beyond.

Before I knew about cookies, IP# I would put up a listing like I hust mentioned, log out, log back in and put my first bid on it under another acct and never once got busted for shill bidding.

I cringe now thinking that I used to do things this way.
Old 09-19-2007

yea DFB, I used to do that too. Still safe lol. And Modee sometimes I use the aol proxy but it's the same thing, the AOL IP doesn't change but I can log in and out and still be safe. I'm just going to close this by assuming my ISP is Superman :D