Small Court agains Paypal - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-09-2020

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 31%
Default Small Court agains Paypal

Hello,

I belive there is a simlar thread but i want to share my expeireince and keep this up to date.

Mid march I opened a PP acc and it got restricted after reciving few payments. After sending them all the requiered docuemtents they said they will close the account and hold the money for 180 days.

After contacting their escalation department they confirmed me that the action taken was correct and the suspension will not be lifted. The reason for the suspension was a to high risk involved with the paypal account and paypal wanted to protect themself from financial loss.

Papal has the right to hold your money for 180 days if you break their terms of use, however as I already mentioned paypal confirmed that it was their own descion to close the account due an internal risk assessment (which is a confirmation that there was no break of the terms).

So after paypal replied me i made a claim online which is very easy and straight forward (check more details here https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim). I do not agree to wait for 180 days to get my money and i want it as soon as possible. There was around 1k GBP on the paypal and the court fee was 60 GBP.

the Defendant (Paypal) has 2 weeks to answer on my claim to the court or they can ask to extend this period for another 2 weeks.

So after 1 week they extended the period for 2 weeks and they took a solicitors for the claim. I am waiting now paypal to respond to the court until the end of may.

I will update this thread as soon as i have more information
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to burbur For This Useful Post:
Bigblackdog (05-09-2020), PICCOLABESTIA (05-09-2020), XTC4ME (05-09-2020)
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-09-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%
Default Re: Small Court agains Paypal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinsoldier View Post
So this was the quicker, easier, cheaper route than waiting 180 days was it? I wonder what their 'reasonable costs' will be if the judge agrees their 180 day policy was legally valid.

Sorry, I'd have sat it out, now you might have to wait even longer and be out of pocket for the pleasure.
Still interested to see which way Paypal jumps though and it's not my money at risk

The OP is very brave, very clever or very stupid - time will tell which it is
Old 05-09-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
So this was the quicker, easier, cheaper route than waiting 180 days was it? I wonder what their 'reasonable costs' will be if the judge agrees their 180 day policy was legally valid.

Sorry, I'd have sat it out, now you might have to wait even longer and be out of pocket for the pleasure.
Well, that's not legal and it was just a try on a smaller paypal. I have biger paypals but decided to try on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigblackdog View Post
Still interested to see which way Paypal jumps though and it's not my money at risk

The OP is very brave, very clever or very stupid - time will tell which it is
what can they do? In worst case i loose the court and have to wait 180 days. if they decide to steal the money completly like they do in USA i will go to court again

Quote:
Seems they've taken the option to extend the initial period and employ a solicitor, no doubt because they believe they have a valid case.

My take on it is they are entitled to hold monies unless you've proven their hold is unreasonable, there's a couple of cases that have made the papers where paypal were told to cough up. I've also read that the FSA has looked at the 180 day hold and has not problems with it citing the old 'security checks' chestnut.

But I guess we'll see.....
I have a proof that their hold is unreasonable since the reason for the hold is "a to high risk involved with the account" and that's not a vailid reason acccording to their terms of use to hold money for 180 days.

I never had a case on this paypal or anything else what could break their terms of use.

To be fair i think they will try to avoid a case but i will keep this thread uptodate
Old 05-09-2020
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 29%

Please do - I'm intrigued - good luck with it
Old 05-09-2020

Thanked 1,098 Times in 1,034 Posts
Activity: 89%
Longevity: 33%

But then what would happen to Paypal if the buyers then file chargeback .or disputes with Paypal within 180 days and the seller has already withdrawn his $$ and decides he would rather abandon his Paypal account instead of transferring fund to his account to compensate Paypal's loss??
May be Paypal should ask seller not to ship or perform the service and then refund all his payments to his buyers,recomending that both buyer and seller find another way to complete the transaction?
Old 05-09-2020
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent006140 View Post
But then what would happen to Paypal if the buyers then file chargeback .or disputes with Paypal within 180 days and the seller has already withdrawn his $$ and decides he would rather abandon his Paypal account instead of transferring fund to his account to compensate Paypal's loss??
May be Paypal should ask seller not to ship or perform the service and then refund all his payments to his buyers,recomending that both buyer and seller find another way to complete the transaction?
this is not my problem. If paypal decides to give its clients a 180 days buyerprotection then they should think about it. By your argument paypal could extend the protection to 1800 days and hold the money for 5 years. I never agreed that they can hold my money for 180 days and i do not care what they promised the other cients nor it is my problem
Old 05-09-2020

then you should find another payment processor,or find a way to avoid card payments which give seller 180 days to file chargeback.
WHETHER 180 DAYS OR 18000 YEARS Paypal protection would be your problem if you are no longer a Paypal user.
Old 05-09-2020

would you rather have Paypal refunds your buyers and then ask them to return the item back to you or send you a check or cash?
then you said my buyers would do no such thing and Paypal said we dont care,it is not our business.we did not find you the buyer,nor encourage you to sell to him?
Old 05-09-2020
Threadstarter  

again, if they want to protect themself from losses then they should add it to their terms of use that they can hold the money for 180 days.

Also i can withdraw the money after 21 days if the account is not restricted. how do they want to protect themself in this case
Old 05-09-2020

apply for a merchant account ,your fee would be lower,you will get your money next or in 2 days in your bank account ,if there is chargeback,you can speak to your bank and they can communicate with his cc issuer.
With Paypal,you cant speak to his cc issuer,Paypal would not even relay what your buyer has said against you,all it doe is to pass on your case to them .
if you lose,they do nothing,just pass on the $20 chargeback fee to you.
Paypal used to do more,but now it does nothing.
Old 05-09-2020
Threadstarter  

[...]

Actions We May Take if You Engage in Any Restricted Activities
If we believe that you’ve engaged in any of these activities, we may take a number of actions to protect PayPal, its customers and others at any time in our sole discretion. The actions we make take include, but are not limited to, the following:

[...]

- Block your PayPal account and/or hold any funds in the reserve account (including, without limitation, for more than 180 days if so required by PayPal, where PayPal’s rights arise from your engagement in the restricted activity);

[...]

before that there is a list of restricted activitys. I do not see any resticted activity which I could have violated. And this is the only term which allow them to hold my funds for 180 days. IF THERE WAS A RESTICTED ACTIVITY.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mp...agreement-full