Needing advice - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 11-26-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 83%
Default Needing advice

Hello,

I have someone on eBay that I'd like to buy a macbook from. His auctions for the laptop I am wanting, are ending at well over $2500, however, the person states that I can buy one now outside of eBay, through PayPal about a $1000 cheaper. Why would he want to do this? Because of possible eBay suspension?

So I am just wondering if there is a safe way to go about this, as I'm not quite sure how PayPal works, etc, when it comes to buyer protection. Should I try to find out if the person has a personal account (those are not covered?) or a business.

The eBay ratings for this individual are nearly 100 percent, but it makes me wonder if I should really risk going outside of eBay.

Any help on how to orchestrate a smooth traction would be very much appreciated. Thanks!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 11-26-2009

Longevity: 84%

i dont see any problem with doing it outside of ebay as long as you use paypal still.. i have done it plenty of times with no problems.. if you ever do get scammed then you can always file a dispute and claim to paypal and they will hold his funds until everything has been sorted out.. if he has nearly 100% feedback then it shouldnt be that much of a risk anyway.. it might be best if you tell him to send you an invoice for you to accept payment on through paypal.. that way paypal know what you have bought and when you bought it etc (proof)..
Old 11-26-2009
Threadstarter  

And this will work even if their account is limited (personal) ?

For instance, here is the description in PayPal's terms for buyer protection:

Items purchased off eBay:

Items are eligible unless they are excluded below:

* Real estate, motor vehicles, capital equipment, travel tickets, and events tickets
* Intangible items
* Services
* Items purchased using Website Payments Pro or Virtual Terminal
* You may not file a dispute for a Personal Payment

What defines a personal payment? They aren't talking about a limited account are they? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2009

if they have sold these macbooks before, i can not see his account being limited.. you need to get him to send you an invoice of the item you are buying from him.. by them giving you an invoice it proves that you have bought something from him and not just done a personal payment.. personal payment is when you are just transfering money from one account to another for no reason (not buying anything).. so you need to tell him to send you the invoice and then if it looks ok you can accept the invoice and pay.. all will be safe and you have 45 days from when you bought it to claim anything has gone wrong..
Old 11-26-2009
Threadstarter  

Got it. Thanks!

Although, now he is asking if he can send the invoice through another PayPal account, because his monthly withdrawal limit has been reached. Do the accounts that are not limited still have monthly withdrawal limits? Thanks again.
Old 11-26-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

This sounds funny to me. Where did it come from that the seller will do the transaction outside of ebay? How did that come about?

Are you really the buyer?

ETA: We x-posted. Now he wants to use another paypal account? I hear warning bells So LOUD I am going to get earmuffs. Don't touch this.
Old 11-26-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
This sounds funny to me. Where did it come from that the seller will do the transaction outside of ebay? How did that come about?

Are you really the buyer?
All I know is that there are people on eBay selling laptops, software, etc., really cheap. I also know that some accounts are suspended because of this. Why? I don't know, maybe you can tell me, as I wouldn't want to do anything to get into trouble.

P.S. He just sold one on eBay, and I can't figure out why he is willing to sell for so much cheaper outside of eBay.
Old 11-26-2009

yeah it sounds pretty fishy to me too lol just go buy from someone else, seriously
Old 11-26-2009

Longevity: 85%

I agree with GB... bargepole lol!!

CaptainJack
Old 11-26-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
ETA: We x-posted. Now he wants to use another paypal account? I hear warning bells So LOUD I am going to get earmuffs. Don't touch this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjack1980 View Post
I agree with GB... bargepole lol!!

CaptainJack
Quote:
Originally Posted by casual92king View Post
yeah it sounds pretty fishy to me too lol just go buy from someone else, seriously
Thanks guys! I am starting to feel the same way. My only question (and the reason for this forum): why are people getting suspended from eBay in the first place? Wouldn't you have to do something wrong for them to do this?
Old 11-26-2009

Longevity: 85%

There seem to be several main reasons....

1. VERO... I.E. selling brands they are not authorised to sell or simply sell ⊗⊗⊗⊗.
2. UNJUSTIFIED
3. SCAMMERS

I think most peoples stories would fall into those 3 categories.

CaptainJack
The Following User Says Thank You to captainjack1980 For This Useful Post:
surcerouche (06-10-2011)
Old 11-26-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Well, charlie, you asked for advice.

Here's mine. Don't touch anything with this seller either on or off ebay. Why? Say the reduced price is US$1500 & you pay that in all good faith
& the money makes it to the paypal account but that account gets limited, then your money goes and no laptop arrives. Do you see the potential problems?

Then a newbie here says I sell laptops & my paypal account is limited what can I do I can't send out the item.... see the problems?

Nothing for Charlie but grief

My instincts say this is not good . Danger, Will Smith, danger
Old 11-26-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Well, charlie, you asked for advice.

Here's mine. Don't touch anything with this seller either on or off ebay. Why? Say the reduced price is US$1500 & you pay that in all good faith
& the money makes it to the paypal account but that account gets limited, then your money goes and no laptop arrives. Do you see the potential problems?

Then a newbie here says I sell laptops & my paypal account is limited what can I do I can't send out the item.... see the problems?

Nothing for Charlie but grief :tears;

My instincts say this is not good . Danger, Will Smith, danger
Yes, and thanks very much. I do appreciate all of the advice. It will possibly save a huge headache!

I just thought if I did buy through PayPal (even being a limited account) that it would be safe and covered through the buyer protection program, but from what you are saying, that's not true. Thank you!