VPN and eBay.au? - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > Australia eBay & Paypal

Australia eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.com.au Suspensions and Paypal.com.au limited accounts. This forum is geared towards AU.

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2009

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 83%
Default VPN and eBay.au?

I have static address with exetel and they dont do a dynamic addy, and was wondering if anybody has used VPN from these guys for VPN to mask ip address?

Free 7-Day Trial Offer! Instant Internet anonimity, security and privacy for Windows, reliable and affordable fast vpn service
Linkideo | Your own VPN solution
www.witopia.net
StrongVPN.com - Strong security for your internet connection and anonymity for your online presence
Secure-VPN.Com Your Online Privacy Solution! - Home

are there other VPN providers in AU that would be a better choice?
or is there a better way around the Static IP address issue? (other than moving to another ISP)
suggestions welcome!
cheers
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 12-13-2009
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Welcome to the forum,green

vpns are not so hot for ebay/paypal. Can you use exetel's HPSA? Depends on how many accounts, how about dial-up?
Old 12-13-2009
Threadstarter  

Hi GreenBean!
thanks for the suggestions!
Although been on eBay as buyer for a bit, I'm just starting out as a seller. After reading the eBay stealth guide want to have some way to change IPs while still running Exetel account which only has a Static IP.

Is VPN not so good because potential insecurity? like IP appearing to ebay from another country? or just too slow? If I could get away with a software soln (vnp) to successfully change IP with eBay, then that would be great!

Dialup? I couldn't find that on the Exetel site, maybe its been dropped? Besides this would leave me with no land line / voip phone.

HPSA, well I never though of that!... I'll look into it, starting at $5/mo, seems reasonable. And the coverage map seems promising for a good connection where I live.
Questions that come to mind are
Would I get a different IP each time I logged in the the HSPA network?
Is HSPA secure enough to do ecommerce? with... sniffing hackers lucking about!
Old 12-13-2009
Executive [VIP]

Far as I know it is a different IP each time. What comes to mind then is the use of another USB system along side of your current one. Means a bit of fiddling but if it means you make money, then that's good. I can recommend a couple

Have you been suspended or just venturing into selling? Trying to establish why you are thinking of vpns.
(mondays for me are fried brain day)
Old 12-14-2009
Threadstarter  

several HPSA connections! wow!
fiddle with existing USB? It seems HPSA modems are easy to use, and besides, if I go ahead with it, I would a dedicate a lappie for the job.

I've sold a few things, the first were a learning the hard yards. With better timing I would have done better. After regrouping and licking my wounds, the last few ended up with good profit

Never suspended... but.. I don't really want to go with my existing account, as I don't wish any blunders to effect my existing account. Besides, the last thing is having competitors figuring out who I am. coz if my day job found out I was selling against them, they would likely sack me!

why vpn? It seems to be easiest soln to change IP that is shown to ebay, while still having a Static IP with Exetel. Just open an new user account for eBay trading, have this account use the vpn tunnel to the internet. It saves the hassle of having to change existing arrangements with ISP, and buy and install new equipment. The bonus is that it has encryption from point to point!
The important bit is that IP is different to my exetel IP and the IP is located in AU!
Old 12-14-2009
Executive [VIP]

Most of what you say about the vpn is accurate. BUT they are less safer than having a regular IP. paypal detects them, ebay detects them. Then when an account goes under their security, the use of the vpn is not appreciated, hence suspensions & limitations
The O/S users from Asia have problems. Even users WITHIN the USA lose accounts because of them. One user from the USA lost 10 accounts in one day because of the vpn.
For most options, especially as you are using one in the same country, vpn is not the choice, imho
Old 12-14-2009
Threadstarter  

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBean View Post
paypal detects them, ebay detects them.
The O/S users from Asia have problems. Even users WITHIN the USA lose accounts because of them. One user from the USA lost 10 accounts in one day because of the vpn.
omg....10 acnts

Quote:
For most options, especially as you are using one in the same country, vpn is not the choice, imho
I'm such a NooB in this dept, I would have had my shinning new ebay acnt suspended in a second!

thanks so much for your advice on this, I now know the safest way to do this....HSPA application going tonight!
Old 12-14-2009
Threadstarter  

Just found from Exetel HSPA application:
* 10 email addresses in the form of - yourname@exemail.com.au
* 200megabytes of user web space
* A permanent IP address (with the ability to change it if you wish to do so at any time)[
* Usage meters for your HSPA and any other Exetel service you choose to use
* A comprehensive User Facility that allows you to manage every aspect of every Exetel service
Woot!
The Following User Says Thank You to green For This Useful Post:
ebayism (12-22-2010)
Old 02-12-2010

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Most of what you say about the vpn is accurate. BUT they are less safer than having a regular IP. paypal detects them, ebay detects them. Then when an account goes under their security, the use of the vpn is not appreciated, hence suspensions & limitations
Correctly configured VPN's are NOT detectable..
Old 02-13-2010

Activity: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RimmingTon View Post
Correctly configured VPN's are NOT detectable..
They can't detect them automatickly by computer.They do it manually :

Eg. couple of suspended member using same IP address and they will look up the ip by WHOIS and find the owner of the server,they visit their website or do a research on what this company doing and if they are provide VPN services ebay/paypal will block the whole IP range so next time any of the servers from this provider will be flag out...Thats why we say VPNs not secure.

If you rent a server from a proper ISP and built a special VPN with a fresh/unique IP and you only use it yourself.thats a 100% safe way and very costy way as well.
Old 03-12-2010

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 997turbo View Post
If you rent a server from a proper ISP and built a special VPN with a fresh/unique IP and you only use it yourself.thats a 100% safe way and very costy way as well.
So as I said, a properly configured VPN is not detectable.
Old 12-22-2010

Longevity: 77%

how to make configured vpn?
Old 12-22-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvery View Post
how to make configured vpn?
Get a VPS and hire smeone to install OpenVPN on it.
Old 12-22-2010

Longevity: 77%

Quote:
Just found from Exetel HSPA application:
* 10 email addresses in the form of - yourname@exemail.com.au
* 200megabytes of user web space
* A permanent IP address (with the ability to change it if you wish to do so at any time)[
* Usage meters for your HSPA and any other Exetel service you choose to use
* A comprehensive User Facility that allows you to manage every aspect of every Exetel service
Woot!
Awesome! I am also with Exetel and as facing the same dilemmas. I was going down the route of a prepaid mobile broadband option. Now I will look into HSPA. Thanks for the great thread, and all who contributed!
Old 12-26-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,040 Times in 774 Posts
Activity: 39%
Longevity: 81%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markk View Post
Get a VPS and hire smeone to install OpenVPN on it.
I have a VPS, sorry what is openVPN exactly, and what is the purpose of installing it on the VPS?
Closed Thread