Got scammed in ebay - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > International eBay & Paypal Discussions > UK eBay & Paypal

UK eBay & Paypal General discussions about eBay.co.uk Suspensions and Paypal.co.uk limited accounts. This forum is geared towards UK eBay & Paypal sellers.

Old 01-31-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 85%
Default Got scammed in ebay

Hi everyone,
My girlfriend bought a SONY SLR camera,it was a worth 1200GBP .She paid through paypal.After few days she received an empty box .
I have explained this to Paypal and ebay but the seller has provided tracking number so the seller has kept himself protected .
In simple words, she has been ripped off and scammed.

He might have done this to other hundreds of people too.
Is there anyway someone can take legal action against him and involve police.

Also ,will paypal return the money to her ?

Your advise would be really helpful.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 01-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 93%

First off. Great choice on Sony SLR, I got one too.

Seller who provides tracking # usually wins in INR Disputes. Why didn't you File SNAD Dispute?

IF you say the seller might have done this to hundreds of people then most likely hundreds buyers would of filed a dispute with paypal. After a couple high priced item dispute, paypal would of take notice and limited the seller account. So I would not say the seller have done this to hundreds of people.

Yes you can take legal action..... GO hire a lawyer and call the police to get a police report. Some Police departments now have internet fraud teams that will investigate it.

Call your credit card company to dispute the charge and it will reopen the Paypal claim.
There is a chance that you may get your money back.

BooMer

Last edited by BooMer; 01-31-2010 at 08:57 AM.
Old 01-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

Ok, a Significantly not described dispute would have been the trick to beat the scammer, eg.saying it didnt work etc..send back empty (apart from a poo) box with tracking , you get refund.

what exactly have you said to paypal so far? did you do a not received dispute? if so, it seems there may be problems for you, as paypal go by tracking mainly. You say seller may have done hundreds, on this one account, I doubt it, if several people has said same thing about this seller, there would be consequences re this sellers account and you would possibly be given benefit of the doubt, the way for scammers to work is to have a previously clean account, with a few scams in there, per account.
Old 01-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 9,142 Times in 7,106 Posts
Longevity: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfrog View Post
Hi everyone,
My girlfriend bought a SONY SLR camera,it was a worth 1200GBP .She paid through paypal.After few days she received an empty box .
I have explained this to Paypal and ebay but the seller has provided tracking number so the seller has kept himself protected .
In simple words, she has been ripped off and scammed.
Have you made a complaint or just spoken to paypal? Lots depends on what has been done. You have only given vague info

Quote:
He might have done this to other hundreds of people too.
Is there anyway someone can take legal action against him and involve police.
Why are you worried what others do? If your girlfriend wants, she can take legal action. Depends on circumstances.

Quote:
Also ,will paypal return the money to her ?
Not prepared to comment either way. Depends on what action has been taken

Quote:
Your advise would be really helpful.
Fill in some more details....
Tibor (05-15-2010)
Old 01-31-2010
Threadstarter  

The seller sent an email to every buyer he sold the item too ,he created just one email and sent to all email addresses at once ,i picked up one of the email address from that email and contacted him ,that buyer also received the empty box .
And there are so many more on the email list.
The other buyer told me that through a website he checked how much worth this seller sold things .He sold for like over 15000 pounds.I believe that he got 15000 and he never sent good to any of the buyer .His account is suspended as well.
Old 01-31-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,484 Times in 1,192 Posts
Longevity: 91%

ok, more info - good.

so the pp account is suspended, not surprised - paypal may well try and get money from seller to refund to you, as the evidence is there from all these buyers.

Let me give you examples, Ive been in this situation as a seller, where I thought I didnt stand a chance, there was tracking but buyer said there was nothing inside box - I won dispute because my account was clean, with no other complaints and pp even fought credit cad charge against me, why? I bet you this buyer had tried this before, and that was a strike against them. So all these complaints Will make a huge difference to your case..

you always have the small claims court route too, thing is that we need to hope these are not f a ke details he has given to pp.

what a thicko doing a round robin email to all of you!

you still havent said what youve said exactly to paypal, assuming you said empty box - normally that would not be something paypal would listen to from one buyer BUT when it is a few others - I think you stand a much better chance.

It seems in these circumstances you did the right thing in telling the truth to paypal, but as I before another way to counter the empty box scenario is to say item not as described, money gets held by pp, return it and get refund..

good luck

Last edited by oompaloompa; 01-31-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2010
Threadstarter  

i have asked my gf to open not as described dispute in paypal.she has explained exactly what has happened and what she actually received.
Paypal says its awaiting response from the seller .
I think the seller must be clever enough not to give his real details to paypal as if he would then paypal can send police to his home.
I have discussed this with a friend of mine ,who told me that Paypal will refund my girlfriend as she is eligible for buyer protection.
Thats all we needed.Thanks for your help.
But there should be some way ,we can take these scammers to court and get them punished so that they dont do this again.Atleast Paypal should ,if they have to pay the money to us from their own pockets or if they can recover from seller which I doubt.
Old 01-31-2010

Longevity: 86%

i wonder has the seller closed their paypal account? by the time most people will have put in a claim they could very well have withdrawn funds and closed account, im surprised if paypal hadnt limited them before that with so much money going through