Tracking - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 02-03-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 82%
Default Tracking

I have a limitation at present and have won all my dispute cases, supplied the invoice and sent "tracking" for the last 10 items. I stated that the items were sent 1st class without tracking and they appear to have given me a green tick!

I expect them to make a decision on the invoice within 48 hrs hopefully.

The questions.

Are they likely to add new obstacles like proof of ID after this?

Also, My new bank details have come in and I'm eager to register a new account. I will still have to log into my old accounts to get my money out of there and pay the ebay fees etc.

I'm assuming that logging in with my IP will flag me. Do they log every single IP I've ever used to log in or just the one I used to register?

As my IP changes daily, is there anything else I should worry about whilst logging into all the accounts? Clear all privacy etc as I go into each account? How careful do I need to be?

Thanks
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 02-03-2010

Hey Bode,

IP is only ONE of MANY ways that eBay and PayPal track you. You should definitely start an IP log in a txt file or a spreadsheet and keep track of which IPs you use when logging in to which accounts.

It doesn't matter that your IP address changes often, even several times per day, that's normal for most Internet users. What you want to avoid though is logging into a non-limited or non-suspended account with an IP address that was previously used by one of your bad accounts. That will raise a "red flag" and they will start looking for other linking factors.

As long as your bank info, credit card info, name, address, etc. are all different, your IP won't be enough to link you. You also need to be sure to use different user accounts on your computer, to avoid getting linked by cookies, flash cookies, or other browser objects.

If you haven't already, you should definitely check out eBay Stealth. It answers a lot of questions!
Old 02-03-2010
Threadstarter  

I've been logging my IPs recently. Don't know if they get recycled or not. Until I establish this fact I will know for sure. I can't imagine that they log EVERY single IP I've used. Just the important ones, when registering and changing passwords etc?
Old 02-03-2010

Why wouldn't they log every single IP you've ever used? That what, 12 BITS of data, at most per IP? Storage is cheap. They may flush or overwrite their IP logs after a certain period of time, but with the high amount of fraud that takes place on eBay, I'm more inclined to think that they keep all records, forever.

Again, I'm just a guy on the Internet, so YMMV!

Again, IP is not the ONLY linking factor, but it is definitely a factor!

I keep running logs of my IP addresses and only clear them out if I physically change Internet Service Providers. Even then, I just name them something like:

IP_LOG_TWC_2008_to_2009.txt

and keep them in my docs. That way if I ever switch back to that ISP again, I can make sure I know what I'm doing with my IP addresses there!
Old 02-04-2010
Threadstarter  

I've been reading up on IP addresses. It seems that virtually every household user is on a dynamic IP. Our ISP will have rented millions of IPs of which half a million for example are allocated at random everytime you restart etc.

So why would ebay use this at all to identify someone? It seems pointless.

Surely they know everyone changes, however the guy mentionethat on one occassion his IP address didn't change for 6 months.

So do you really need something like Hide my IP?
Old 02-04-2010

You don't need to use hide my IP or any service like that. Just keep changing your IP address as is recommended by nearly everyone on the forum, and you are taking 1 of the right steps to go stealth.

Yes, lots of peoples' IPs change daily, but at the same time, lots of peoples' IP addresses stay the same for days or weeks or months. If you hook up your Internet modem, then your router for the first time, you're going to pull an IP address. If you don't power those down for months, chances are your IP won't change for months.

Again, IP is definitely not the ONLY way eBay/PP tracks you, nor does it seem to be a primary way, but it definitely is one of the factors they use in linking, so why risk it? It's such an easy thing to just make sure you have a safe IP before doing anything with either account.

I just have my home page on all of my eBay browsers set to IP Burger - What is my IP Address? Find Your IP Address!. Then as soon as I open my browser, I can verify my IP, and then know I'm working as stealthily as I can!
The Following User Says Thank You to drgonzo2k2 For This Useful Post:
Sandy D (02-08-2010)
Old 02-07-2010
Banned

Thanked 2,029 Times in 1,356 Posts
Longevity: 87%

I use a local dial up and never get the same IP and I log into my account several times per day and have since I started.

I also keep close tabs on the IP numbers so I can have them for future reference if the account goes down.

I have high speed for listing and slow speed to remain behind the scenes.