Ex-partner threatening me!! - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 04-05-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 81%
Default Ex-partner threatening me!!

Long story short, I was partnered up with a guy and we were doing various online services (web design, programming, graphic design, even sold some stuff) and I would use my paypal account to complete all transactions. Well after awhile I got fed up with him and I got rid of him. Now he's pissed and is trying to get revenge. I used to supply him with excel spreadsheets of all transactions and such everyday, and this included the email addresses of the buyers. He is now threatening me that he is going to send everyone an email telling them to chargeback all the purchases to my account. Should I be scared? Last thing I need is 50+ disputes and chargebacks/refund requests for money I dont have.

He also stated he knows "Dark Traders". I asked what that meant and he said it's people who use stolen paypal accounts to send stolen money, in order to get someone's account banned. Like WTF?

Smart as hell, just not the type of guy I wanted to work with anymore.

Should I call paypal? Advice please!!
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 04-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

I would change your paypal email, so the person does not know what it is. I would then email all the customers on the list and inform them someone has hacked into your email account and currently you email provider is looking into this case. Tell them not to respond to any phishing emails from your old email and give them your new email.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Burning For This Useful Post:
GreenBean (04-05-2010), Lyda (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010
Threadstarter  

Thanks for that!

But do you think I should contact Paypal as well?

Also, all he has to do is contact them and tell them to request refund from that transaction. I have no proof of delivery (there was none) so I just don't want to get screwed.

And my partner emailed them through his email, I didn't do the talking. So they will recognize his email.

??

Last edited by reloaded21; 04-05-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 04-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloaded21 View Post
Thanks for that!

But do you think I should contact Paypal as well?

Also, all he has to do is contact them and tell them to request refund from that transaction. I have no proof of delivery (there was none) so I just don't want to get screwed.

And my partner emailed them through his email, I didn't do the talking. So they will recognize his email.

??

How old are the transactions? Sounds like you sold services and not items, so they could not file item not received complaints anyway. Are any of these people unhappy with what you sold?
I would think most if not all would ignore the email. I would also change the email used to bill them and send them a email stating your old email was hacked and to ignore any messages.
Old 04-05-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

You should probably close your account asap, including your bank account and any attached credit cards. Open a new stealth account to do business with, and hope no chargebacks hit you.

If you get a couple chargebacks it will go to collections if you don't pay it off.
Old 04-05-2010
Threadstarter  

The thing this, I added his email to the account and he would send all the invoices from that email. So most if not all will recognize his email.

I would really hate to have to close this account, its my bread and butter account.

Also, why do you suggest I close my bank account? It's linked to my main checking account and debit card that I use on a daily basis. Are you saying I have to close all these that I've had for years?
Old 04-05-2010
Threadstarter  

Also, after you close a paypal account that was in good standing, can you re open one later on with your same details such as your name and address?
Old 04-05-2010
Administrator

Thanked 4,228 Times in 1,792 Posts
Activity: 4%
Longevity: 100%

Quote:
The thing this, I added his email to the account and he would send all the invoices from that email. So most if not all will recognize his email.

I would really hate to have to close this account, its my bread and butter account.

Also, why do you suggest I close my bank account? It's linked to my main checking account and debit card that I use on a daily basis. Are you saying I have to close all these that I've had for years?
Oh I see.. so the invoices are sent with his email address? Obviously you removed that email address off PayPal, yes? That should help you a little.

You could just leave things as they are and hope nothing happens. But if the chargebacks start rolling in.. then close your bank account to protect yourself.. or not it's up to you.
Old 04-05-2010
Threadstarter  

I took his email off about 2 weeks ago. Im still nervous though...
Old 04-05-2010
Threadstarter  

Also, do I have to remove my bank account from my paypal or should I actually go to the bank and close it for good?
Old 04-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Longevity: 88%

Quote:
Also, do I have to remove my bank account from my paypal or should I actually go to the bank and close it for good?
As aspkin stated above, if you get disputes in your account paypal will try to reach into your bank account in order to get your money. When someone opens a dispute, your account goes into negative balance if you have no money on the account.

”I am an optimist. It does not seem too much use being anything else.”
Winston Churchill

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”
Winston Churchill
Old 04-05-2010
Executive [VIP]

Thanked 1,406 Times in 871 Posts

I would "Make Nice" and talk to him "Try to Work it " out Hang out with him a bit, as soon as 45 days passes from your last transaction there is not really a whole lot he can do especially since the account is in your name.

If all else fails I am running a Sale on Cement Shoes
Old 04-05-2010

Longevity: 91%

Lol, Slapped... I was going to say the same thing regarding 45 day limit. I believe the ex is hurt and all he is trying to do is make Reloaded21's life miserable..so far succeeding somewhat at that.

Knowing just a little of psychology of this kind of people as once I was in similar situation, I believe nothing serious will happen. If he really intended and was able to do any serious damage, he wouldn't talk about it or put his threats in writing in emails? He would have just done it!
So, be cautious, save all the correspondence with him and follow advice as given already by, Aspkin, Burning and Slapped.
Hang in there, I think you'll be just fine in the end...
The Following User Says Thank You to Lyda For This Useful Post:
Burning (04-05-2010)
Old 04-05-2010
Threadstarter  

The thing is one of the last transactions was about 16-17 days ago.

He's been on my a$$ for about that same amount of time, I just don't need any BS to start up. I'm going to hang out for awhile then change my email address with the account, and close the bank account linked to it also.

I'll update if something happens.

Thanks again
Old 04-05-2010

Well, you should have changed your email already. Looks to me like only one charge could fire back, but you have another 30 days of wait and see. I am under impression your bank account and PayPal have been working fine for a long time and you are really not eager to change that? I really don't think you will have to, to be honest...But email, YES! If you get dispute filed, you always have the time to close your bank account before all is said and done.
Old 04-05-2010

Never had to do this, but you may also consider that IF dispute happens (why would anyone do this after 2 weeks on basis of your ex statements?) just refund if you can afford and be done with this.
It all depends .. You need to sit back and think it properly what to do next by setting your own priorities in few "IFs" scenarios..
Old 04-07-2010

Longevity: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapped View Post
I would "Make Nice" and talk to him "Try to Work it " out Hang out with him a bit, as soon as 45 days passes from your last transaction there is not really a whole lot he can do especially since the account is in your name.

If all else fails I am running a Sale on Cement Shoes
It's the Paypal dispute period that is 45 days. I believe the period for filing a chargeback with your bank is 180 days - correct me if I'm wrong.