I got a payment, one hour later it got reversed. - eBay Suspended & PayPal Limited Forums
eBay Suspension & PayPal Limited Forums  
Join Today
Register Subscribe

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   Home > Platform Discussions > PayPal Talk

PayPal Talk PayPal Forums. General issues related to PayPal.

Old 05-08-2010

Activity: 0%
Longevity: 80%
Default I got a payment, one hour later it got reversed.

Hi,

I got an instant payment from ebay, I just saw the email on my phone from paypal. 1 hour later I saw an email from a person saying why did I reverse him and he wanted an explanation why and he is checking his email constantly. I just told him to forward the email to me because I was confused, and I knew I did not refund him. I did not see a email from ebay and there is no trace of it on my ebay account. On my paypal
I just see

Payment from xxxxxxxx completed details $xx.xx

Reversal to xxxxxxxx reversed details $xx.xx

I called up paypal and of course I got a foreigner that hardly speaks English, I asked her why this happen and the buyer needs to know why as well. Well she looked up on it and said that two buyers bought the auction at the same time. She told me to ask the seller if he or she has another one. I told her I was the seller then she said to send them an invoice so I did. The thing is she should of seen I was the seller and I only sold one not two, she didnt sound like she knew what she was talking about. I emailed the buyer about this and about sending them an invoice, he paid 3 minutes later.
I got a email from him saying

"it wasnt an email. i went to check my funds because i made another puchase and it showed my history where the funds had been reversed and my balance went up too. i dont understand it. would you like for me to send it again because my money is back in my paypal account lol. sorry for all this i just really need that xxxxxx"

I replaced back saying I got off the phone with paypal and they said it was ebays fault and to send an invoice which I already have done.

He then said
"yea no prob. i figured it was something simple. but payment has been sent so we should be good to go now. how long does it ussually take till i get the xxxxxxxxxxx? i apreciate the fast response. thank you."

I just have the worst feeling about this so I googled paypal reversal and found numerous posts, topics and videos about buyers scamming them.
This isnt an expensive item it is under 75 dollars but still I dont want to loose that and have a scammer profiting. Sorry if this sounds like it is no big deal but I just want to know for certain this is not a scam and I wont loose any money on this.
The complete step-by-step guide to get back to selling today!

Old 05-08-2010
Vicvelcro

Longevity: 0%

It seems to have a potential for being a scam, but it could just as easily be a mistake on the part of paypal or ebay.

I suggest you go to the post office, get a blank delivery confirmation slip at the service counter. Don't fill it out and don't ship the package for 24 hours. But do mark the item as shipped and enter that tracking number in ebay/paypal. If that payment gets reversed again, you know it was a scam and you still have your item. If all is well in 24 hours, ship the item and use that slip you got at the post office (so the tracking number is correct).

The buyer could still reverse the charge at a later time or make a false dispute. But usually, a reversal happens very soon after they *think* the item is in transit.

You might consider refunding the buyer and negate the transaction. Inform them that you are uncomfortable with the circumstances. Do so using the ebay messaging system. If they neg you later, you might use the saved message in your own attempt to remove an improper neg.

NOTE - PP may have reversed the charge due to suspicious activity on the part of the buyer. Perhaps that buyer used a questionable payment source. Perhaps PP detected the potential that the buyer was using a hacked PP account and was not the true owner of that PP account.

Truly but rarely, sometimes they ARE looking out for *US*!

Last edited by Vicvelcro; 05-08-2010 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-08-2010
Threadstarter  

Longevity: 80%

Well I sent him an invoice for the payment since he wasn't coming through with ebay and the paypal agent said it would be simpler to do so. I might be better off refunding him. I dont really care not getting a sale because I am almost out and this will sale. The thing is he might not be a scammer since it did get reversed before I had a chance to send it and this is Saturday afternoon after all. I might just go for the refund and thank you very much for the quick replay and help.